This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make-up with dry eyes

I know that many of the women with extreme dry eyes don't wear make-up or other products to reduced the possible irritation, but I not only have dry eyes but Alopecia it leaves me without eyebrows and I have very few eyelashes, I wear eyeliner right now, and I've tried a few. currently using Loreal gel eyeliner, I know that this causes some irritation for sure, especially with putting drops in my eyes often, which just washes the liner off and I'm sure into my eyes more. I've thought about using a waterproof liner but really don't know which to chose at this time. Without eyeliner I look sick (very sick) so please don't tell me to just go without, I know that it would be the best, but I would never leave my house without it.
    Christine

Hi Christine - I still wear eye makeup and even went without for a few weeks once to see if it made a difference and it didn't, but some things definitely are more irritating then others on my eyes. I have tried lots of gel liners with the same result as you - drops wash away the liner. What works best for me is to use pencil liners topped with powder eye shadow, or translucent powder. Another option (I've been doing this lately) is to use a cream eye shadow on the lid and bring it down to under my eyes (I wear liner there too) and then apply the pencil and this stays on through drops pretty well too. (I can't use any drops that contain oil during the day though or nothing stays on.) My favorite eye liner pencil is Clinique's Quickliner. Hth!

Comment

Christine, how I loved eye makeup! I only wear it out now on special occasions, and use a pencil liner that can easily be removed. It sounds like you are looking for something more permanent. I've tried the more permanent liners, and they really irritated my eyes. The easily removed liners do wash off with eyedrops, by enough is left to still make a difference. I take an EFA supplement in oil form, and use this on a Q-tip to remove eye makeup. It works great! What is the word on permanent eyelid tattooing?

Comment

Alison,
        Thanks for the tip I will be looking to buy the Clinique Quickliner, one question I have is you said you bring the shadow and liner down to under your eye, did you mean your lower eyelid, or on the margin of your eyelids? I use to line the inside of my lids, but haven't since this began, I don't have MGD or Bleph, just in case I did want one to develope I don't use drop with oil anyways so should be good. Thanks again you have been a real help.
        Christine
        PS: How severe is your Dry eyes? Mine are pretty dry, but I wear soft contacts to help, and it seems to make a big difference, at least I'm not constantly getting Corneal abrasions anymore

Comment

Hi Mawsky - I just use the liner topped with shadow under my lower lashes/lower lid. I definitely don't/can't wear anything on my waterline/inside of my lids.

That's great that you can still wear contacts. I wore them for 23 years and had to give them up since my eye docs said they were making my eyes worse.

Comment

Permanent tattoo for eyliner

I got tatoo eyeliner ...love it, hurts like a beezy though! I am actually looking into a touch up soon. I thought the pain was worth it!

Originally posted by LaDiva View Post
            Christine, how I loved eye makeup! I only wear it out now on s
            pecial occasions, and use a pencil liner that can easily be removed. It sounds like you are looking for something more permanent. I've tried the more permanent liners, and they really irritated my eyes. The easily removed liners do wash off with eyedrops, by enough is left to still make a difference. I take an EFA supplement in oil form, and use this on a Q-tip to remove eye makeup. It works great! What is the word on permanent eyelid tattooing?

Comment

Originally posted by alisonW View Post
              Hi Mawsky - I just use the liner topped with shadow under my lower lashes/lower lid. I definitely don't/can't wear anything on my waterline/inside of my lids.

That's great that you can still wear contacts. I wore them for 23 years and had to give them up since my eye docs said they were making my eyes worse.
              Hi Alison, thanks for clarifying. Yup, no waterline for me either. Sorry about the contacts. Was it because of your dry eyes that you needed to stop? How long did you wear them with the DES? I never wore them until I developed the dry eyes, seems weird because I know some people who had to stop just because their eyes were dry.

Comment

Thanks Regina. I'd love to wear eye makeup again.

Comment

I wear eye makeup, maybe once a year anymore but I only line the top lid and definitely above the last line but as close as possible. When I was younger, and prior to all my dry eye issues, I wore it on the top and bottom lids and would sometimes line the inside margin but it's just not worth it to me anymore with all of the problems and irritation it causes. Have you tried just lining the top lid and skipping the bottom and maybe save lining the bottom lid for evenings? I use a pencil and go light on shadow, also I don't put moisturizer on my lids because it's one more thing that can get into my eyes and if I am wearing makeup, can make it shift or not last as long.

Comment

Originally posted by PotatoCakes View Post
                    I wear eye makeup, maybe once a year anymore but I only line the top lid and definitely above the last line but as close as possible. When I was younger, and prior to all my dry eye issues, I wore it on the top and bottom lids and would sometimes line the inside margin but it's just not worth it to me anymore with all of the problems and irritation it causes. Have you tried just lining the top lid and skipping the bottom and maybe save lining the bottom lid for evenings? I use a pencil and go light on shadow, also I don't put moisturizer on my lids because it's one more thing that can get into my eyes and if I am wearing makeup, can make it shift or not last as long.
                    i wanted to reply after reading this... i wear MAC liquidfast liner-it is so water and smudge proof its crazy--i used to use their makeup remover to take it off but almay liquid eye removed made w/ oil works the same. i only line the top lids and i make it thicker toward the outer eyes (i wear glasses too) so my eyes will stand out.. to remove it you do need the remover liquid with oil like theirs or almay (cheaper)..
                    I used to use liner on my lower lids but about a year into this my eyes got worse and w/ plugs they sometimes tear over or if they are too dry the drops eventually will run the liner-but the top lids =it never moves... i have tried all other "waterproof liners" and they all evventually come off and get into my eyes..

once in a blue moon i will try mascara but because of my mgd my lashes are kinda sparse and come out easily so only for pics or special occasions and only if my eyes are up to it.. cause when i remove it more lashes come out and i use loreal the red and white tube that forms coils on the lashes.. i rarely use it so would have to look up the name-i think its voluminous?

also i do use concealer daily on my red lids from rosacea. and i really like almay cream eyeshadow in a tube.i love this bronze color .it gives me color but also hides the red and doesnt dry my lids like powder shadows.. also i like revlon cream shadows that come 4 to a black pallette thing. hope this helps!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X