Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Today's Tip: Protect your eyes from hairspray and perfume.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today's Tip: Protect your eyes from hairspray and perfume.

When applying hairspray or perfume, make sure none comes into contact with your eyes!

I just received my April issue of The Ocular Surface. In it, there is an excellent article titled "The ocular effects of cosmetic products and procedures" by Dr. Coroneo et al, which reviews harmful effects of things ranging from mascara to Botox.

Here's an excerpt from one section about hair care products:

Hair sprays inadvertently misdirected into the eyes result in ocular discomfort, blurred vision, sensitivity to glare, and irritation. These sprays are generally composed of a resin dissolved in alcohol, and they also contain acrylates. They are compressed for spraying, and their effect on the eye is a keratopathic process, resulting from both the composition of the spray and the force of the aerosol.

Based on a large series reported by MacLean, it has been proposed recently that the keratopathy can be divided into two categories: corrosive and non-corrosive. The corrosive agents tend to cause a superficial punctate keratopathy or more severe keratitis, while the non-corrosive agents tend to solidify and become embedded superficially or deep in the corneal epithelium. Embedded particles can also cause local epithelial erosions or punctate keratopathy or can even trigger desquamation of the epithelium. Despite these effects, the keratopathy is often mild and transient and the symptoms resolve within a few days of discontinuing the use of the offending spray.

A number of other hair products have been reported to cause ocular damage. Episodic corneal epithelial edema when the gel components... dissolved and perspiration ran into the eyes....
    My opinion: Since the effects they have identified pertain even to healthy eyes, they may pose greater risks to dry eye patients who have much more vulnerable eye surfaces.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

That matches with my experience. I am allergic to acrylates too .
    It is in pretty much every hair care product . I am not allowed any gel or spray . I have one shampoo and conditioner the Dr said are OK.
    Free and Clear is the brand if anyone is interested. ( I will warn you, the shampoo is rather drying)
    You can order it on the Internet. They carry hair spray and gel too, but something in them is not on my approve list.
    Sigh...
    Its bad enough having a bad eye day, but insult to injury is topping it off with a bad hair day.

Oh BTW, it is in all nail products too.
    Double sigh...

Comment

Working...
    X