This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact len brands/comfort

I am a contact lens wearer and have been so for 30 years. I had severe dry eye starting in 2004 but I think it started about 2 years before that when I was wearing Focus dailies. I suspect that these contact lenses either started or aggrivated the situation. With much trying and fiddling I am now in Acuvue Oaysis in my left eye and Night and Day in my right eye. I found that Oaysis in my right eye dries out quickly & becomes foggy and visa versa for Night and Day in my left eye. I am curious how others feel about the contact lens they have tried, ie comfort, clarity of vision, length of wear time etc. I remember way back when....the contacts I wore from the mid 70's to 90's used to come in small vials and were changed every one to two years. I never had any of these issues way back when (of course I was younger...no need to do the math)

My history is similar to yours. The 1st brand was HydroCurve II (6 month replacement). I messed up on right eye (sclera) with these lenses-- with ceramic dust/abrasion and had to have an operation to fix it. There were long years of Acuvue, wetted often with aerosol saline. My eyes were dry, but I didn't pay attention. Late 90's my vision got bad, and I tried to switch to different brands--none of which worked.

Tried Frequency 55 and Hydrogenic 60's. Focus N&D--doctor said edge design was bad--he was right, I couldn't wear it. Tried Focus Monthly--OK, so-so. Tried Purevision--OK but not great. Proclear folded up on my eye but was comfortable. Tried O2Optix, couldn't wear it. Wore an Acuvue Advance in the left and an Extreme in the right for a while to try to get acuity corrected. Tried Oasys--wasn't impossible at first, but then got scratchy. I have already described my mixed experience with Extreme H2O, which I currently wear 10 hours a day.

With all the brands I've tried, the vision was BETTER than with my current ExtH2O. But I couldn't wear the others. I wish I had written down all the little characteristics of each lens. One brand I tried dried out in the center and my salty tears crystalized on the surface in a hard coating (had to rub with baking soda to remove).

My main objection--disqualifying most brands--was that I seemed at first to feel an "edge" of the contact--then the discomfort quickly increases to "something BIG in my eye" and gritty, scratchy.

Some lenses I could wear all day--like the Frequency 55. But when I took them out---Oh Brother--did I PAY with pain. I guess it was corneal abrasion.

C66

Comment

Thanks for reply, I thought I was the only one who went thru brands like toilet tissue. The optomotist seems to think I'm just fussy. You've tried several brands I haven't yet--I guess they may be worth a try. I've tried Extreme H20 -- the visual clarity was very poor and they seemed to slide all over my eyes. I'm begining to wonder if they just keep pumping out various styles of lenses each year, not really paying attention to the design. I wish contact len wearers could give the companies direct feedback via the net--I'm not sure they are getting feedback via the optomotrists, they would simply not have the time in most cases. I hope others will respond to my questions, I am really interested!!!

Comment

RGPs?

Originally posted by shoemama
        I thought I was the only one who went thru brands like toilet tissue.
        Just wondering if anyone has tried RGP (gas perm) lenses. That's what I switched to about six or seven months ago. I'm still having dry eye issues, but not as bad as before. I find that RGPs are so much better for my eyes than the soft contact lenses (Acuvue) were.

Randal

Comment

I tried RGP for one week (late 80's I guess it was). Dry climate, outdoors, windy. Just one particle under the lense causes incredible pain.
          My husband wore his RGP's for about 6 months--with worse results than I. If he got something under the lens, it caused his eyes to water so much that he couldn't get the lenses out quickly enough to prevent cornea scratches. Ended up with chronic erosions and great pain.

It's good they work for you, though. The vision is great.

C66

Comment

Hey guy's, don't mean to be pushy, but I'd really like you're opinion on lens brands, comfort, clarity, time of use. If this isn't a topic you're interested in I'll drop it after this post

Comment

Working...
            X