This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocusoft mascara; eye makeup remover

Anybody tried these recently? If so, anything to report?

Ocusoft is the company that makes lidscrubs. (I have been using their foam cleanser lately.) They have a number of quite good products.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Preservative Question???

I looked up this eye makeup remover because I was curious and it sounds great ... no thimersosal and no mercurial preservatives. It occurred to me when looking at this that our eye makeup remover needs to be just as safe as our eye drops. I know I use mine on a twice daily basis as a lid scrub and I always get some in my eyes with each use.

So, then I looked at the ingredients in the eye makeup remover that I'm currently using and it's got me wondering. Is any ingredient ending in CHLORIDE bad or is it just BENZALKONIUM CHLORIDE that we need to look out for?

Does anyone know? For instance my eye makeup remover uses COCAMIDOPROPYL PG-DIMONIUM CHLORIDE PHOSPHATE and HYDROXYPROPYLTRIMONIUM CHLORIDE. I've done searches on them but haven't come up with anything so far ... so, I thought I'd pick the brains on here.

I have three bottles of my eye makeup remover left but if these ingredients are bad in anyway then I'll dump them. Otherwise, after I've finished them I think I'll switch to this brand. It sounds safer for our eyes.

Comment

According to wikipedia (which I love), a chloride is formed when: "the element chlorine picks up one electron to form an anion (negatively charged ion)...The word chloride can also refer to a chemical compound (like BAK) in which one or more chlorine atoms are covalently bonded in the molecule."

So basically, it has something to do with the element chlorine being in a molecule. So not neccesarily good for your eyes or bad. For instance, sodium chloride or salt, occurs naturally in your tears. On the other hand, hydrogen chloride, or hydrochloric acid, does not, and could burn your eyes, as could straight chlorine. In conclusion, I think we would need more information about a chemical other than it ending in "-chloride" to determine whether or not it would be harmful to the eyes.
      Hope this helped
      Eli

Note: Oddly enough, hydrochloric acid is sometimes used in opthalmic preparations to adjust the pH value (more or less acidic). It would only cause damage to your eyes beyond a certain strength, so if you see it on the list of ingredients for a particular eyedrop, don't worry! After all, your stomach is full of it!

Comment

Eli, thanks for all that info! I appreciate it ...

MJ

Comment

Ocusoft cosmetics...

I have just received 3 little sampler kits with both mascara and eye makeup remover.

Be one of the first 3 to email me and one of them will go in the mail to you tomorrow morning. Just please let me know afterwards (privately or publicly I don't care) what you think of it.

I'm not really planning to stock any products of this kind in the Shop (though I admit I can be kind of impulsive about these things) - I'm just interested to see how good these are. They told me some interesting things about "waterproof" mascaras and why they may NOT be good for people with dry eye that made me curious. My memory retention for technical stuff like tht is not good but sometime I'll get them to tell me again s-l-o-w-l-y so I can repeat it.

I'm going to be trying these myself this weekend, as well as the PLUS lidscrub foam.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

We were selling this product nearly 20 years/ago. It was marketed to the contact lens wearers. The main claim was that the makeup did not contain thimerosal, as well as the fact that it did not flake or come off in large particles and was easily removed without the use of harsh, cream-based removers.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
              I
              Be one of the first 3 to email me and one of them will go in the mail to you tomorrow morning.
              By the way... don't assume everyone else beat you to it... I've sent 2 and I still have 1 left if any of you ladies would like it!
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

Woo! Hoo!

I was second to e-mail Rebecca and I'm getting a free sample! I will gladly be a guinea pig and try this out against what I'm using and report back here.

I will also gladly try out any other free samples sent my way and report back ... filet mignons, imported chocolates, electronics ... you name it!

Comment

WoW!!

Hot Dang!!! I must have been #1!!!! I will certainly use it and let everyone know. I've missed my mascara so much. Some of my eyelashes have turned white and I NEED THAT STUFF! I've got Sjogren's. It'll also be wonderful if I can tell the Sjogren's folks that it's o.k.

Oh...I'll take any free samples you throw my way too, except, ....I'd really like some chocolate covered cherries in the batch.

Billye

Comment

Billye!

Hey, if you get chocolate covered cherries, I'm coming over! Yum! I'll probably get a free magazine subscription or something as exciting ... <sigh>

I was more interested in the eye makeup remover, but I guess I'll have to try the mascara now and see what it's like.

Okay, so here's what we should do ... put the trial mascara on one eye and our current brand on the other. Then sit back and see what happens.

Comment

Girls, I helped this along by not emailing. I love free stuff, but since I don't wear eye makeup, I forced myself to not respond. Let us know how you like it. Now, if you're giving chocolate covered cherries..........
                      Lucy
                      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Both of them

I've tried every brand on the market. Some got in my eyes when I had to put drops in and that burned. Some took asphalt remover to get it off and that made eyes sore and burned. Some had little pieces that "made lashes longer" that got in my eyes and that hurt like the devil. I've tried cheap ones, expensive ones and I'm ready to try some that are made by someone who is supposed to know eyes. I'm not wanting it for every day. Just for that occassional special event. Kid's weddings or whatever. I'm simply going to apply the stuff, wear it all day and see what happens. I'm not sure whether to try them one at a time or use them together.

Rebecca, do you have any left? And do you have suggestions on how to try these out?

Billye

Comment

Rebecca, thanks for the samples!
                          I've tried them now for two days. Here's what I've found so far ...

First of all, I used to put on makeup to walk up and get the mail ... Now, since my LASIK in 2000, my makeup is more or less reserved for Kodak moments. So, when I do wear mascara I kinda want it to look like I'm wearing it. This mascara just didn't coat much. And if you blink right away it wipes off under your eyes, so you have to keep your eyes open and let it dry really well before blinking. So, I'd have to say since it takes umpteen coats of this to equal one of mine I wouldn't buy this product.

I can't comment on how it responds to sensitive eyes though as I've never had a problem with the mascara that I use bothering me in that way. So, perhaps someone who has a sensitivity to mascara would find this product ideal.

Now to the eye makeup remover. The price is certainly cheaper than mine. It took perhaps a few more passes than mine to remove the makeup but it works. It stung my eyes a bit. I'm going to keep using it on one eye and mine on the other to see if I come away with a true preference or not.

Comment

OK me too

Since you have posted about the samples, I'll give you my take on the mascara and remover. First of all, Thanks Rebecca for letting me try this. But....I wouldn't buy it myself.

The mascara went on fairly well, dryed slowly which means you have to hold your eyes open until it dried. Can't do that with dry eyes. Blinking is absolutely necessary. So I had to wipe under my eyes when it finally dried. I wore it most of the morning and by noon I simply had to put drops in. Now..I put the drops in very carefully and used one of the bottles of Visine Pure which automatically measures out one drop at a time. And I blotted carefully under my eyes. The next time I looked in the mirror I had black spots of mascara all under my eyes. I gave up because I have to use drops multiple times during the day.

So I removed it with the remover. The remover did take a little longer to remove the mascara and didn't totally remove it. When I washed my eyes that evening, the washcloth had black on it.

But it didn't burn my eyes and didn't seem to irritate them. Bottom line,
                            I wouldn't purchase them.

Billye

Comment

Sounds like a bust. And to be honest I haven't even gotten around to trying it myself!

Thanks ladies for trying this out, I appreciate it. Next time I order chocolate covered cherries you'll be at the top of the tester list!!!
                              Rebecca Petris
                              The Dry Eye Foundation
                              dryeyefoundation.org
                              800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                              X