Originally posted by dianat
      Where is he anyway?!
      In a corner somewhere sulking about censorship
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

That may be, but he knows well that his original post has been immortalized "underground". His ego is still intact. Actually, maybe he's just busy authoring the next one...
        Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Thank you, Homes!!!

I found this thread, and being my first day here, I did not read the uncensored post by Homes, but I want to thank him and everyone else here for all the encouragement! It takes courage to go 'au natural' but I am considering cutting down to just some subtle lip gloss.

When I went to my eye doc yesterday, I really thought I was going blind! And the gritty sand feeling, film over the eyes, burning, etc. was waking me up at night in uproarious pain.

Any beauty tips anyone wants to share? Maybe by telling what kind of clothing styles you like to wear and what colors you like to wear and a little about your coloring... Anything to make us feel pretty that won't hurt our eyes would be a big boost to me and maybe it would make someone else feel better too, I hope.

Thanks again, Homes. Hearing that attitude about makeup from a guy makes me feel better.

I'm going to start this, if anyone wants to join in...
          I have strawberry to auburnish hair, worn long and off my face, no bangs; blue eyes that sometime look greenish or greyish with a little golden flecks; very light, pale, white skin (like Uma Thurman light skin-wish I looked that pretty!) with a pale sprinkling of freckles primarily over the nose. I wear transition lense (darkening) lineless bifocals in a pretty cashmere brown titanium frame (flexible, unbreakable and very comfortable and make the idea of no eye makeup not so scary. I tend to have swelling and dark circles under my eyes sometimes but it is better without makeup.

Enough about me, I would love to hear everyone elses' opinions of what's pretty (without eye makeup, particularly mascara).

Question for Homes; I don't go in for piercings or tatoos either but do have pierced ears, one earring per ear but sometimes like to leave them off too for the sake of comfort. Do you think a women can still be pretty without them, too?

CY

Clothing colors, I could use some help with!

Comment

Inspired by Amy's post

Originally posted by Amy09
            to add on to all the messages having to do w/ beauty, natural beauty, etc. I want to add my two cents. Being only 18, it really sucks to have messed up eyes and not be able to wear eye makeup when you're surrounded by beautiful people your own age that look like they're out of a magazine. i know i've posted comments on here before myself that have to do w/ being self concious of the way i look and i realize some things i've said in posts in the past. as hard as it is though, this past year I've been REALLY trying to slowly change my way of thinking, and i think everyone else should work at it to.

Beautiful or not, this was how God made us and how he wanted us to be. I hate to say it, but if someone doesn't like you because of the way you look, then they aren't worth being friends anyways. i've met some people at college so far that seem to accept me for the way i am, damaged eyes, no makeup, and all.

there are people a lot worse off than us, too. for some reason i can't help but to think of the movie "mask" w/ cher, which is based on a true story. the boy in that had a horribly disfigured face, but an amazing self esteem and sense of self confidence, which gave him a personality that was attractive to many. and its true- if people who might be considered unattractive act beautiful on the inside, it tends to show outside, too.

besides, even if we could get plastic surgery to fix whatever we're unhappy with, haven't y'all seen those oprah episodes about plastic surgery? Even after their surgery they are still unhappy, because it turns out that its not an external problem that needs fixing, but an internal problem.

i think all of us, including me, need to work on attitude adjustments and realize what is really important. i'm not meaning to sound cliche-ish, or hipocritical, but I just think it's all something we should work on. Natural beauty, beauty, or unattractiveness, whatever we look like, we're stuck in this body. It will continue to fail us as we grow older, whether we want it to or not. Even though we might not be able to change our outside appearance though, we should work on changing the inside.
            Wow, Amy!
            You are wise, inspiring and insightful for a person of any age, but it is so refreshing to hear this from someone who is 18.

You are so right, too. You really impressed me and inspired me. And I'm 50.

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts and you express yourself very well!

Have you ever considered writing? I think you have a gift for it.

CY

Comment

To CarolynYvonne

Honey...with that coloring and those eyes you don't need much. Dust the apples of your cheeks with a little peach or brownish pink blush and top it off with a peach, copper or brown pink lip gloss and you are good to go! If you are able to..curl your eyelashes. That makes them look longer. You may not be able to, I can't.

Colors I'd choose for you would be copper,teal blue,turquoise,brick red, black away from your face, ivory, gold. Stay in the earth shades. Some of the green shades will be right for you. Hold them up to your face and ask a friend before you buy them. It's good to do this with all colors. You will find some that light up your face and others will just look muddy or drab.

The reason I felt I could answer this is because you described my coloring almost to a t. And I'm 60 years old and the same coloring. I'm no expert but I struggled with my coloring for years and finally achieved a look that I got lots of compliments on. But I'm a grandma now
              Billye

Comment

What a blessing, SilverLady!

Dear SilverLady (Billye),
                You do not have any idea what a blessing your post was to me. I just cut and pasted it in a document and saved it!!!

If I may ask, are you the same SilverLady who posts on the long hair message boards? If so, you will know me as "strawberryfine". Hope to hear from you soon!
                Carolyn Yvonne

p.s. You sound like a beautiful grandma! Also, I don't have ink in my printer right now so I hand copied your recommendations to take shopping with me. I was really depressed about this yesterday and now I want to go shopping. You really gave me a lift! Thank you!
                Last edited by CarolynYvonne; 06-Oct-2006, 09:05. Reason: To add a p.s.

Comment

Ladies, I'd like to add for Carolyn's sake and anyone else reading this that it's common and fun to have your "colors read." This is usually a boutique or perhaps a day spa that would do this. It's not expensive, less so in a store I would think.

Years ago, I had my colors done and didn't have a clue. This "color reading" is not like fortune telling, but as Silverlady describes. It just takes your natural coloring and matches your best colors for clothing, makeup, accessories, etc. You might be a summer, winter, spring or fall color person. I couldn't be ONE particular. I'm a summer with strong winter undertones. LOL. I wanted them to point me in one direction, not spin me. Was fun though.
                  Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

More thanks and questions

Originally posted by Lucy
                    Ladies, I'd like to add for Carolyn's sake and anyone else reading this that it's common and fun to have your "colors read." This is usually a boutique or perhaps a day spa that would do this. It's not expensive, less so in a store I would think.

Years ago, I had my colors done and didn't have a clue. This "color reading" is not like fortune telling, but as Silverlady describes. It just takes your natural coloring and matches your best colors for clothing, makeup, accessories, etc. You might be a summer, winter, spring or fall color person. I couldn't be ONE particular. I'm a summer with strong winter undertones. LOL. I wanted them to point me in one direction, not spin me. Was fun though.
                    Lucy
                    That sounds like great fun! I wonder if there are any websites or message boards related to this?

I've had mine done years ago but they couldn't decide if I was an Autumn, a Spring or a Summer but what SilverLady suggested for me sounded perfect. And it got me pointed in a more positive direction.

I'm thinking of also trying one of Avon's heating eyelash curlers. Just a thought....

Carolyn

Comment

You are welcome!

You are welcome, CarolynYvonne, I am glad it felt like it helped you. No, I'm not the same Silverlady on the longhair board. And yes it is fun to have your colors done. A lot of places do this. It helps match the undertones of your skin and your particular shade of hair to different colors.

Personally, I don't think the heated curling iron for eyelashes is a good idea. It wouldn't be in my case anyway, my eyelashes are so dry from the constant liquids and heat packs. They tend to come out and I"d be afraid that the heat would damage them even more. Kinda like your hairdryer drys your hair.

Billye

Comment

Heated Eyelash Curlers

Originally posted by Silverlady
                        You are welcome, CarolynYvonne, I am glad it felt like it helped you. No, I'm not the same Silverlady on the longhair board. And yes it is fun to have your colors done. A lot of places do this. It helps match the undertones of your skin and your particular shade of hair to different colors.

Personally, I don't think the heated curling iron for eyelashes is a good idea. It wouldn't be in my case anyway, my eyelashes are so dry from the constant liquids and heat packs. They tend to come out and I"d be afraid that the heat would damage them even more. Kinda like your hairdryer drys your hair.

Billye
                        Billye,
                        I'm glad you mentioned the heat damage factor to eyelashes. I had not thought of that, but I never blow dry my hair or use heat on it for the same reasons.

I did pick up a regular lash curler yesterday (the Avon store did not have a heated one in stock) and it did make a difference. I also went shopping and got two ivory tops and a deep teal jacket and just generally had a lot of fun color shopping; I took your recommendations with me.

Thanks again,
                        Carolyn

Comment

yeah amy09 comment is indeed very wise...
                          i fink dat sometimes....i think that...ok we are very young and ill but why not show the world dat we have more inside that they can see....dat ..........why can't we show our happiness and confidence despite our suffering...n mayB people will accept us like we are...and likes us....and loves us....:P....
                          hey hahah amy09 was born in 23 februray 87...
                          i was born 24 jan 87 :P

btw
                          i personally fink that natural beauty is better than anthing else....ok with makeup girls make looks like "more" beautiful SOMETIMES...but , we boys are not dating MAKEUP but we are dating girls!!so its not a big worry!!...
                          also natural beauty is......exquisite.....we can thus see the girl like they always are....not hidden behind something..
                          Last edited by Mika; 07-Oct-2006, 10:56.
                          If I have to choose between being happy and sad, I''ll choose being happy....... and you?... so.... stop choosing being unhappy (yeah its hard but....)....stop depressing........ live!!!

Comment

Two good posts

CArolynYvonne, it sounds like you had fun. I think your color choice will be wonderful. Spice up one of those ivory tops mixed with your teal jacket by added gold jewelry. Gold around the face of a red head is very flattering. You are going to be a knock-out!!

And Mikastef, you are very wise to be so young. You aren't suppose to be that smart until you get my age But what you said is very profound and is to be desired in anyone of any age. We can all be happy in spite of our misfortunes. It just requires greater effort to recognize the good things first. There that's my sermon for the day. Enough joking, Mikastef there was beauty in what you said.

Billye

Comment

Inner beauty ...

Originally posted by Silverlady
                              CArolynYvonne, it sounds like you had fun. I think your color choice will be wonderful. Spice up one of those ivory tops mixed with your teal jacket by added gold jewelry. Gold around the face of a red head is very flattering. You are going to be a knock-out!!

And Mikastef, you are very wise to be so young. You aren't suppose to be that smart until you get my age But what you said is very profound and is to be desired in anyone of any age. We can all be happy in spite of our misfortunes. It just requires greater effort to recognize the good things first. There that's my sermon for the day. Enough joking, Mikastef there was beauty in what you said.

Billye
                              I have to add an "Amen" to SilverLady's "sermon of the day". What Mikastef said really did exhibit that beauty that comes from wisdom.

And SilverLady,
                              You just make me feel so good every time you post! You have a very sweet gift of being able to give people a great boost of "feel-goodness-about-themselves"! Thank you. That is a trait of true beauty IN YOU.
                              I went to church Sunday, my first public outing without eye makeup and felt very comfortable.

I'm pulling out the gold jewelry to play and accessorize what I already have. This has been a wonderful diversion for me; instead of feeling sorry for myself it is making me try to find new ways to enhance my natural coloring instead of relying on eyemakeup. I never would have believed what a relief it could be not to have to wear that stuff. It has ALWAYS bothered my eyes, no matter what kind it was. I actually feel liberated.

Comment

Blessing for the day

CarolynYvonne,
                                You made me cry and your post was my blessing for the day. That is something else that I learned later in life. Every day is a gift and somewhere in that day is a lesson or a blessing.

Thanks for posting.
                                Love,
                                Billye

Comment

Working...
                                X