This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eye make up

Hi, does anybody else manage to wear eye make up with this condition, (ladies I guess this is addressed to!)? I can only wear it for special occasions, as it makes it worse the next day, and it's not practical when having to use eye drops 4 times a day? I only use "sensitive" mascara. Sally

Sally, there are a few discussions on here about wearing eye makeup. I'm long time dry eye and wear glasses, so I just don't even bother unless it's a bit of shadow. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

I have not worn eye makeup since I started wearing contacts years ago, and have not worn it since stopping contacts and having DES. I will wear it for a photo shoot or a very special occasion, but I suffer every minute of it. Even hypoallergenic does not cut it for me. The eye shadow and mascara flakes off and gets in my eyes, and they are already gritty enough! Wear awesome glasses and no one will notice.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Hi,

I don't wear it anymore either, however once I have the eye thing fully under control I plan to go back wearing a very "natural and green" product. I'm so terrified of getting nasty chemicals in my eyes.

Bernadette

Comment

I wear mascara but only on the very outer edges of my eyelashes. It doesnt seem to be a problem because I don't use any drops and try to not mess with my eyes during the day. My dry eye doc said that he doesnt see a problem with me wearing make-up. If it is a bad day and I cry for some reason, then there is a problem.

Comment

I have no problem wearing mascara. I never buy "waterproof" mascara.

This will sound too complicated, but it works to avoid mascara flakes: which is usually what causes eye irritation.

I apply a coat of colored mascara to the top of the lashes, then brush with a mascara brush; this also "pushes" the lashes upward gently, making them look longer. Then I apply a coat to the underside of the lashes and brush. Then I use a wetted Q-tip to clean the lid margin, making sure no eye makeup remains there. Lastly, I apply a coat of clear mascara.

Comment

I don't have trouble with foundation and concealer, so I have been using concealer (in a dark shade) as eyeshadow! It stays on like a dream, too. Just a thought!

If anyone has updated lists of good mascara brands, I'd love to hear them. Still cannot find one I can use very well. Have tried some of the sensitive eyes types.

Comment

Originally posted by SallyP View Post
                Hi, does anybody else manage to wear eye make up with this condition, (ladies I guess this is addressed to!)? I can only wear it for special occasions, as it makes it worse the next day, and it's not practical when having to use eye drops 4 times a day? I only use "sensitive" mascara. Sally
                Sally--

I use Jane Iredale eyepencil and Clinique and Jane Iredale Mascara. Neither seems to bother my eyes. I don't wear eye makeup daily because I am now retired. For over a year the skin around my eyes was inflamed with the classic allergic reaction. I feared it was makeup and was extremely careful about getting all of the mascara and liner off. Hilariously (if you can still find humor in DES) I found that the Clinique eye makeup remover, Take Off the Day, was actually the culprit. I now refer to it as Take Off Your Face.
                I also began using gel icepacks and preservative-free eyedrops such as optive and refresh on a q-tip to swab on the inflammation.
                Hopefully I have corrected the problem for the time being. As you know, DES, is a day at a time and there does not appear to be a final cure.

Good luck

Comment

Hi -

I use Larenim mineral eye shadow both dry as shadow and wet as eye liner (they have dark colors that you mix with water to use as liners). They also have a mascara but I just use a L-Oreal mascara that is waterproof. I find that waterproof seems to work the best for us as they do not run. As for taking eye make-up off, nothing works better in my opinion than Ocusoft Plus eye pads. I think that Rebecca sells these in the DE Shoppe, not sure. Otherwise you can find them in the eye drops and contact care section of the drugstore.

Good luck,
                  Gretchen

Comment

replace mascara regularly!

I find that mascara really irritates my eyes, so I have stopped wearing mascara on a daily basis. I only wear it on special occasions or if I'm going out on a nice date with my husband (~ once a month). I also make sure to remove it as soon as I get home and I NEVER sleep with any type of makeup on.

I can wear shadow and liner without any problems.

I use the Neutrogena eye makeup remover to remove mascara. I take the majority off with a cotton pad, then wash my eyes with the occusoft lid scrub, then followup up with a Q-tip dipped in the eye makeup remover if there still seems to be some residue. This doesn't seem to irritate my eyes at all.

One thing to consider with buying mascara is that it needs to be replaced every 3-4 months. Otherwise, it can grow bacteria in it and you can end up with with a nasty infection. Obviously, this seems like a waste if you're only using it once a month or so. But if you can't remember the last time you replaced your mascara, do yourself a favor and throw it out and buy a fresh tube!

Comment

I do wear eyeliners - the cheapest I can buy with no problem. I also wear a bit of shadow. I never have worn mascara, and my eyelashes are now looking so much better since my eyes have improved.

Blessings,
                      Melissa
                      pianolady

Comment

You all are so lucky to be able to wear makeup...I can only use makeup from the cheeks down...nowhere near the eyes though! Im still hoping for some day because I have such dark circlesunder my eyes and makeup is the only thing that hides it. So it almost looks worse when I do wear makeup below it because it almost accentuates it!

Comment

makeup

I used Clinique mascara for a while, but I found that after about 4 hrs, it was starting to bother me. I switched to Lavera, and I love it. I also have some eye shadows from Lavera and from two other "green/organic/all natural/limited ingredient" companies, and I love them. I try to only put eye shadow in the crease and above, and I do not put any concealer or anything around my sensitive lash area. However, I recently bought Lavera's pencil eyeliner, and I found that I can wear it on special occasions as long as I wash it all off with Occusoft at the end of the night.

Comment

tatoo eyeliner

I missed not being able to wear eye makeup that I had eye liner tatooed on my eyes...! I love it! Now I just use face makeup and rouge and Im done! They have come really far with tatooing eyes...its very minimal...and thin and they tatoo it on your eye lash line. It hurts a lot...dont get me wrong...but I am really glad I did it!

Comment

shirl

Originally posted by regina View Post
                              I missed not being able to wear eye makeup that I had eye liner tatooed on my eyes...! I love it! Now I just use face makeup and rouge and Im done! They have come really far with tatooing eyes...its very minimal...and thin and they tatoo it on your eye lash line. It hurts a lot...dont get me wrong...but I am really glad I did it!
                              I love to wear eye liner, make's a big diference to your appearance, but due to des Ican no longer wear it, so I have been thinking of tatto also, do you still recommend it, is it worth the pain. Im trying to get re-assured....... thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X