X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contact Wear

Ok,

I went to my optometrists about two weeks ago and he let me try the Acuvue Advanced Hydroclear. However, I haven't worn contacts a lot prior to receiving this brand because of the dryness I get with contacts in general. How should I slowly bring myself back into wearing them? Just a couple of hours the first day and gradually move up?

Cibas' Focus Night and Day really has my attention and I'm deciding whether to try those.

Also, do dry eyes also cause starbursts at night on lights? I could be right infront of a house on the street and the floodlights will be a starburst. I've had this checked and was told my pupils were a bit larger than normal.

Contact Comments

I have very dry eyes and focus night and day did not work for me (I have heard the edge design is not good). Neither did proclear compatibles, optix O2, purevision. I did OK with Acuvue Advance but the lenses only lasted 12 days at most before becoming uncomfortable (dirty). I am still able to wear Extreme H2O because it is 59% water. Most of the lower water content lenses are stiffer and I can't wear them.

Extreme H2O lenses actually soothe my eyes and protect them. But I only wear them 8-10 hrs a day. I find I have to soak the new lenses (right out of the packs) in plain saline overnight--somehow the liquid they are packaged in irritates my eyes. And yes, I have to build up wearing time if I haven't been wearing them much and I want to start again. Just use you judgement--if your eyes are uncomfortable, take the lenses out and try again the next day.

Also, if you're having a "flare up" with the dry eyes, that's probably not a good time to start contact lenses. And don't for get to use OptiFree Express and those protein remover drops every night (Alcon SupreClens)--and a lens cleaner-I like MiraFlow by CibaVision.

Try the Acuvue Advance and see what you think. My eye doctor is really good about giving trial pairs--the company reps give them out (but not the Extreme H2O brand--I had to get the trial pair ordered--they're not such a big company that you can't just find the lenses anywhere--check them out on the web for more info). I have heard of their new lenses Oasys (?) by Acuvue, too, but haven't tried those yet.
    C.

Comment

Extreme H2O lenses actually soothe my eyes and protect them. But I only wear them 8-10 hrs a day.

C.[/QUOTE]

I would like to try these contacts. Do they actually provide more moisture to the eye.
      I just have this general idea that contacts are not good for dry eye sufferers.
      I even think I got this desease for using contacts for many hours a day for many years + I;m sure other factors such as medications, aging. etc.
      Dr eyes caused by long term contact lens wear

Comment

Ok,

...How should I slowly bring myself back into wearing them? Just a couple of hours the first day and gradually move up?
        I would suggest starting slow with the contacts. Start for just one hour the first day, two hours the next and so on. If you are uncomfortable, don't extend the wear time any further until you are comfortable again. Use lots of re-wetting drops too.

Also, do dry eyes also cause starbursts at night on lights? I could be right infront of a house on the street and the floodlights will be a starburst. I've had this checked and was told my pupils were a bit larger than normal.
        I see starbursts at night on lights. I even see them during the day if my eyes are particularly inflammed. There are times when I cannot stand to look at headlights, street lights or even traffic lights or even the lights overhead in my office because my eyes are so sensitive to the light. I have noticed that when the inflammation is down, like after a course of steroid drops, I don't see the starbursts and I don't have such severe light sensitivity.
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by cpilotw

Cibas' Focus Night and Day really has my attention and I'm deciding whether to try those.
          Just so you know, I used CIBAVision night and day for two years before I got dry eyes, and I am almost certain that these contacts are the reason that I have DES right now (coupled with extensive computer use). I would be careful with these contacts.. My 2 cents

Comment

Working...
          X