This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mascara and Plugs

I just got silicone plugs put in a couple of days ago and decided to put on some Almay waterproof mascara when I went out today. When I put some Freshkote eyedrops in this evening by eyes starting burning. Could that be from the mascara? If so, is there a brand that I can try that might work better? I just bought this one and tried it once. Hopefully I won't spend a lot trying different brands to find out they all do that.

Also, how does one remove waterproof mascara when they have plugs in? I'm afraid of rubbing them out.

Hi, I'm in the UK, and ordered mine from a dry eye site that also seems to have an offshoot range of of make up. I find even that aggrevates my eyes pretty much within seconds of putting it on, its bearable, and I tolerate it if I'm going out somewhere special, but rarely wear any. There's also a range - Jane Iridale, which some of the ladies on here have recommended, but it's a bit pricey. Im not very good on the computer, and cannot give you the link. Not sure it'll be the masacara that's upset your eyes. I've had plugs put in twice, and to be honest, if they've come out this time, which I suspect they have, I will NOT be having them put in again. They serve no purpose for me, I feel like there's something permanently on the surface of my eyes, and leave me in quite a bad way for about a week after, although I'm not sure if that could be the yellow dye/anaesthetic they throw in my eyes before inserting the plugs.

Comment

This is one link to Jane Iredale. I bought my mascara from a local retailer who also stocks, vitamins, health foods, books etc
      http://www.janeiredale.com/

She has worked alongside plastic surgeons & dermatologists but I haven't seen any specific claims that her stuff is suitable for sensitive eyes like ours. I find it OK though, although having said that, I don't `do my eyes up' very often.

I tend to agree with you (Sally) on whether mascara caused the burning. If you think it was, why not experiment with one eye and see what happens? Or just apply mascara to the tips - nowhere near the eyelid margin itself?

I only have plugs in the top. I had so much bother when I had all four plugged that it was a merciful release when one fell out and I begged the doctor to remove the other one. Bacteria had no means of escape and I was in an almighty mess for months. Mascara certainly didn't interest me during this time.

Wouldn't removing mascara be a bit like bathing the eyes? One shouldn't be aggressive about it so the plugs ought to remain in situ.

Comment

Morning Irish Eyes!

The Jane Iridale range was only recommended to be somebody else on this site. As you say, doesn't actually claim to be particularly good for "sensitive" eyes, but I believe there's one crucial ingredient that they don't put in which generally isn't good for the eyes. I rarely wear it, and which ever one I put on itches as soon as I apply it, and like you recommend, I only put it on the ends. I doubt you can even see it actually, but it makes me feel better that I've put some on!!

Comment

Sorry, meant to say aswell, on the subject of removal of mascara, my eyes always feel quite good after I've removed any mascara. I have of course got a very gentle eye make up remover, and do it gently, although because I hate the plugs, I didn't care if they came out anyway. In fact after a particularly late night out recently, I removed the mascara before going to sleep, and my eyes felt pretty good the next morning, not as sticky as usual??? Maybe that's because I didn't sleep as long as usual??? Who knows

Comment

Well, I found a spa that sells Jane Iredale makeup today and picked up some mascara and an eye pencil. I hope it works...

Comment

Working...
            X