This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye Newbie Travelling

I booked my trip to South America months before the Bleph/MGD/Dry Eye drama started. Of course, I won't let this prevent me from going but I'd love some advice from the more experienced people here. I'm quite a bit more nervous about the trip now.

Have you ever on your travels needed a medical passport for eyedrops / antibiotics? Will I get in trouble at customs if I bring my three-month-supply?

Right now hot showers are the most comfortable thing in the world for me, but I won't always have running water where I'm going, let alone hot water. Electricity and microwaves are also out. Any ideas how I can best keep up with the eyelid massages and hygiene?

Would love to hear from others who have attempted adventurous trips while dealing with dysfunctional eyes.

Hi,

I read your post about Travel. I am a dry eye newbie too and I had a very bad experience with Travel. I ended up with Keratitis and it was not comfortable. My suggestion to you, would be the same that I have done. I am getting ready to travel from Florida to Germany and I visited my eye doc just last week to make sure my eyes were quiet. He checked my corneas and they are clear. But what he did for me was scripted me Durezol. It is an anti-inflammatory steriod drop. He told me to take it once a day prior to my trip and also use it on my trip once a day in the morning to prevent Keratitis. I would suggest you visit your doc and see if he/she can give you something to help you with the dry eye. I am on Restasis and take Thera Tears, but that did not prevent me from having a flare up on travel. If you have a chance to see your eye doc, have him/her give you the goggles people wear after Lasik for the trip and wear them on the plane. They are clear so you can still enjoy reading. These will protect your eyes on the plane. With regards to the regulations, google the regulations. I looked up TSA guidelines (not sure if they are the same but here are my findings and hope these help you)
    If these do not apply to you try to google your country and the guidelines on liquids
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...ted-items.shtm

So in closing here are my suggestions
    1. See your eye doc if you can prior to your trip to ask his/her opinion on the best thing you can do to protect your eyes
    2. Drink lots of water on the plane! Lots and lots of water! Avoid Alcohol and Caffein if you can. These can worsen your already dry condition.
    3.Wear Protective eye wear (goggles) at all times. Not worth the risk of getting that dirty air in your corneas.
    4. Bring a sleep Mask
    5. Bring your tear drops in your carry on and follow the guidelines. Bring as many bottles of tears as allowed on the plane so you have plenty to lube up with. Someone recommended Soothe, I tried those and didn't like them. My alltime favorites are TheraTears or Systane. You can also try a gel Tear these last longer than regular drops for a long plane ride.
    6. Pack your prescriptions in your checked luggage if you are not sure (that is what I will do. Last thing you want to happen is for them to throw your prescriptions away at security and you don't have your prescriptions when you get to your destination.)
    7. Try to buy Vitamin A, Vitamin C and Bilberry these are good vitamins for dry eye. Take them every day.

Hope these help you. The best thing you can do is see your doc. Make sure all is well before your trip and he/she can give you tips to help you have a more comfortable trip. My doc was nice enough to give me the Lasik goggles (these are clear goggles that tighten around your head you can adjust the straps for your comfort). The thing my eye doc told me is that if we have dry eye we are already compromised by not having good tear film to protect us. In a plane you are in close proximity to people. If someone is sitting next to you with a hacking cough you get those germs in your eyes and you can end up with Keratitis like I did. So, the goggles will protect your eyes not only from germs in the air but from someone sitting next to you who might cough and not cover their mouth or sneeze. If you can't get goggles and don't have time for all this, go to an eye glass store and try to get something to protect your eyes from the germs. I have experience with this. Trust me, do it. They are not attractive but who cares, you need to protect your eyes. The air on these planes is terrible! If all else fails wear your sunglasses. Anything helps!

Good luck and safe travels. YOu will be fine, just be prepared. :0)

Good Luck!

Comment

Here are the TSA Rules on Liquid

http://www.tsa.gov/311/index.shtm

Comment

Back from my trip.

I had an absolutely amazing time and... my eyes completely cleared up while away! After only two weeks in the jungle I could wear contacts again, could stop the entire lid hygiene ritual and by the end of the trip I was wearing contacts daily without any discomfort and without even needing eyedrops. My lids were looking healthy: no redness, no grittiness, perfect!

As soon as I got back, bleph, MGD and dry eye came back as well. Another piece of evidence that environment is a huge factor in Dry Eye / Blepharitis.

Comment

Working...
        X