This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airplane Travel??

How do people handle traveling on airplanes? I am suppose to fly to Florida in 3 weeks. My eyes have been really bad all winter. I've had some improvement in the last 6 wks, but they're no where near where I'd like them to be to spend 3 hrs in a dry plane, after driving 2 1/2 hrs to the airport in a dry car. Last time I flew anywhere I was having overtearing after having upper plugs put in, and it was OK. I planned this trip thinking things would be much better by now. I'm considering not going because I'm so afraid how miserable I will be. It doesn't help that I'm dealing with depression and anxiety from months of dealing with my eyes being the worst they've ever been, and am not even looking forward to this trip.

There are several things you can try....moisture goggles, a wet towel over eyes...go to sleep or close your eyes. Just dont watch a movie....or keep your eyes open. And try to have fun!

Originally posted by smthcorona View Post
    How do people handle traveling on airplanes? I am suppose to fly to Florida in 3 weeks. My eyes have been really bad all winter. I've had some improvement in the last 6 wks, but they're no where near where I'd like them to be to spend 3 hrs in a dry plane, after driving 2 1/2 hrs to the airport in a dry car. Last time I flew anywhere I was having overtearing after having upper plugs put in, and it was OK. I planned this trip thinking things would be much better by now. I'm considering not going because I'm so afraid how miserable I will be. It doesn't help that I'm dealing with depression and anxiety from months of dealing with my eyes being the worst they've ever been, and am not even looking forward to this trip.

Comment

I agree with what Regina said... good advice!

Do you listen to audiobooks? If so, bring that along and it'll be easy to kill the 3 hrs on the plane with your eyes shut. If you haven't discovered the wonderful world of audiobooks yet then you could listen to some of your favourite music.

I'd also bring along a couple of empty ziplock bags and a thin cloth. If your eyes are driving you bonkers, you can ask the flight attendant for some ice... that and a bit of water in the bag, covered with the thin cloth will make a great cold compress to soothe irritated eyes.

Good luck! And try to have some fun despite your eyes!

Planes are no fun for dry eyes... I'll be spending several on a plane myself later this year... bleh... mind you, it's for a vacation, so it'll be worth it... hopefully your time in Florida will make the stress of getting there with your eye issues worth it too!

Comment

Thanks for the good suggestions. I just got my Tranquileyes moisture chambers today which I thought I could wear on the plane. Even though they're sunglasses, I'd feel way less self conscious wearing those than with my Tranquileyes goggles which I plan to bring with and use as a last resort. Not sure if I'm going to keep the moisture chambers though. They seem too big even with bending the middle, and don't seem to seal much more than the wrap around ones I've been using. Maybe with the moisture cartridges put in that adds enough to make up for the open space?

Comment

I think traveeling on a plane wouldnt cause u problems. NJOY the ride..
          I myself have traveeled and experience the temporary pain ...but seems to calm down after max a week or so. Just kepp in mind not to expose ur eyes much to ACs ,winds or too much hot weather

Comment

As my daughter and her family live in Los Gatos, California I travel there at least 3 or 4 times a year. The plane ride is between 5 and 6 1/2 hours depending on which direction you are flying. I take the red eye back to New York. I have never had a dry eye problem on the plane but sometimes have an issue with the dryness of the California air. I also don't use drops on the plane unless absolutely necessary.

Comment

Working...
            X