This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flying with dry eye

Has anyone who is suffering with chronic dry eye ever flown in a plane? I was wondering if I would be able to tolerate this. I use Restasis twice a day along with Soothe XP and Geltears.
    MarshaG

I think it's SAAG who brings along a couple of Ziplocs with wet, washcloths inside to give her some relief.

I try to keep my eyes closed as much as possible (not always easy as the parent of a young child) and apply eye drops constantly.
    I also sometimes use nighttime ointments on planes although I save this as a last resort because I have an allergic reaction to the oils in them. I do better with Genteal but it isn't always enough for me.
    Something like Tranquil Eyes can help too.
    Drink TONS of water, no alcohol, caffeine or sugar if you can help it. Even decaf coffee contains some caffeine. Anything that might be drying, avoid it. Avoid that sort of thing the day before you fly too since generally what you do one day affects your body the next.
    When you sit down, immediately check to see if the fans above you are on and turn them off if they are (I've forgotten about this in the process of getting our family all settled and mid-flight realized that the fan was on and making my eyes dry out so much faster).

If you find that refrigerated drops provide comfort, take a small Thermos (store in freezer night before) and fill with eye drop vials so you have cool drops handy during the flight. The flight attendants can put things in their refrigerator, as well, if it's for medical reasons. I haven't done this yet but my mom was involved in a drug study for osteoporosis and needed to keep the drug refrigerated during a flight and they were very accommodating about it.

Comment

No way would I let my crummy eyes stop me from flying. Just baby them... listen to audiobooks on the plane so you can rest your eyes etc...

Comment

Working...
      X