This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the optiaml geographic locations in the u.s in ranking for DES patients

I don't about you but for me DES/Blepharitis is so severe that I find it hard to leave the house !!!
    recently I was living in the east coast -NYC, CT, MA and finally accepted the fact that living in the east coast is impossible in my current condition.

I would appreciate if we could all share our experience and knowledge to rank the top best geographic locations Cities /States in U.S /Europe for the benefit of all the DES patients out there.
    This would be helpful in terms of the the best place to live, relocate to, or the best place to travel for vacations. Similarly we could compose a list of the worst places for DES patients.

best / worst cities for EYES

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/9548.php

BEST PLACES FOR EYES:

1. Tacoma, WA
    2. Sarasota-Bradenton, FL
    3. Charleston-North Charleston, SC
    4. Mobile, AL
    5. Portland-Vancouver, OR-WA
    6. San Francisco, CA
    7. Honolulu, HI
    8. Jacksonville, FL
    9. New Orleans, LA
    10. Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, WA

WORST PLACES FOR EYES:

1. Denver, CO
    2. Albuquerque, NM
    3. Salt Lake City-Ogden, UT
    4. Wichita, KS
    5. Las Vegas, NV
    6. Kansas City, MO
    7. El Paso, TX
    8. Chicago, IL
    9. Phoenix-Mesa, AZ
    10. Tulsa, OK

No matter what your zip code, if you are one of the 166 million Americans in need of vision correction, or one of the 34 million who are wearing contact lenses, you can now experience true comfort for your eyes despite your city of residence, thanks to new ACUVUE� ADVANCE� Brand Contact Lenses with HYDRACLEAR�.

ACUVUE� ADVANCE� Brand Contact Lenses with HYDRACLEAR� is the first and only contact lens to combine the best features of today's leading contact lenses into one. Using a remarkable material, Vistakon branded HYDRACLEAR�, ACUVUE� ADVANCE� lenses feel as good at the end of the day as when they are first put in. And the eyes speak for themselves: ACUVUE� ADVANCE� Brand Contact Lenses with HYDRACLEAR� provide three times more oxygen than the leading contact lens brand and offer the highest level of UV-blocking+* available in today's soft contact lens market with more than 90 percent of UVA rays and 99 percent of UVB rays blocked.+

Interesting Facts from the Top Ten Best Places for Eye Comfort

Go West. Tacoma, Washington, tops the 100 largest metro areas in the study, based on criteria that include humidity, altitude, pollution, sunny days, commute time, computer use, wind and extreme high and low temperatures.

A good rule of thumb for eye-healthy places: think Pacific Northwest and Southeast. With nine out of ten of the top cities in these regions, people can finally get the environmental relief they have been looking for.

"Cities that everyone associates with wellness and healthy lifestyles, like Denver and Boston, did not rank particularly high, scoring lower in categories like altitude, extreme temperatures, pollution and humidity," said Bert Sperling, president of Sperling's Best Places. "But cities like Tacoma (No. 1), Sarasota (No. 2) and Charleston (No. 3) were not a complete surprise - they are all at low-altitudes, have mild climates and low-pollution levels."

-- Stay Low. Tacoma (No. 1) and Sarasota (No. 2) scored well due to their low altitude. At lower levels, more oxygen is available which allows for clear, moist eyes.

-- Sun Light, Sun Bright. Seattle (No. 10) and Portland (No. 5) are usually cloudy and rainy most of the year; however they ranked high due to the low levels of UV exposure. Less sun equals a reduced risk of sun damage to the eyes.

-- Turn on the AC. Although humid weather can sometimes be unbearable in the summer, cities such as Charleston (No. 3) and Mobile (No. 4) scored well with those seeking eye comfort due to the high humidity. More humid climates offer eyes more moisture which keeps them bright and white.

-- Mild is Best. Cruel winters and sizzling summers are not the best solutions for electric bill or for happy eyes. Milder climates such as San Francisco (No. 6) and Honolulu (No. 7) ranked well due to pleasant weather year round.

-- Breathe Easy. Low pollution is great for health any way you look at it, which is why Jacksonville (No. 8) and Tacoma (No. 1) scored well. Low levels of ozone and particulates in the air lead to eyes that are less irritated and remain comfortable throughout the day.

-- Get Offline. Although it is sometimes hard to get out of the office, New Orleans (No. 9) and Mobile (No. 4) scored high on best cities for eyes since less time is spent on the computer. When eye strain is less of a factor everyone sees more clearly.

-- Reduce That Drive Time. In most of America driving to work is the only way to go, but commuters in Sarasota (No. 2) and Charleston (No. 3) have short trips to and from the key areas of commerce so they have less exhaust fumes and time spent sitting in a hot car to contend with. The result - eyes that look and feel comfortable and are ready for the workday ahead.

AND FROM THE TEN WORST PLACES FOR THE EYES

Fun Places to Visit, But Unkind to the Eyes - Although high altitude is great for athletic training, it is definitely not the best place for seeing clearly. Denver was ranked as the worst place for eye comfort. In addition to the high altitude, the number of days below freezing, low humidity, high computer use, moderate pollution and long commute contributed to Denver's rank.

While many people love to take advantage of the warm, dry weather in the West, many fail to realize that the climate is not a good one for clear and healthy eyes. With nine out of ten of the places on our "Worst Cities for Eye Comfort" list lying west of the Mississippi, cities like Las Vegas and Albuquerque bottomed out in the study due to low humidity, hot, sunny summers, cold winters, wind and higher levels of pollution.

-- Mile High. Denver, CO (No. 1) and Salt Lake City (No. 3) is among the cities with the highest altitude, which is harder on the eyes due to a lower amount of oxygen available to keep eyes moist and clear.

-- Get Out of the Desert. Albuquerque (No. 2) and Phoenix (No. 9) are among cities with the driest climates and highest temperatures. Dry, hot climates can exacerbate red, dry eyes and make contact lenses harder to tolerate throughout the day.

-- Get Out of the Sun. Since bright sun forces squinting and UV rays can be harmful to the eyes, Las Vegas (No. 5) and Kansas City (No. 6) are among those cities that ranked low in eye comfort. Best to use UV protection through sunglasses and contact lenses.

-- It's Windy Out There. Wichita (No. 4) and Tulsa (No. 10) score low in this category; wind can be a culprit for blowing dust through the air which can exacerbate dry, red eyes.

-- Polluted. Two of the cities where pollution is a problem are El Paso (No. 7) and Phoenix (No. 9). High amounts of ozone and particulates can sting and scratch eyes. -- Get Out of Your Car. Chicago (No. 8) is among cities with the longest commute time. Time spent driving is hard on the eyes, as it requires relentless concentration and being surrounded by exhaust fumes.

-- Workaholics be Warned. Denver (No. 1) and Chicago (No. 8) are among the cities with the highest amount of Internet use at home, school and business. Excessive computer use can cause eyestrain and discomfort.

Methodology

Vistakon, a division of Johnson & Johnson Vision Products, Inc., the maker of ACUVUE� ADVANCE� Brand Contact Lenses with HYDRACLEAR�, partnered with Sperling's Best Places to determine the best and worst cities for eye comfort. The 100 largest metropolitan areas with a combined population of nearly 180 million residents, or over 60 percent of the U.S. population were looked at using eight major categories. Metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs) are defined by the U.S. Census Bureau as a central city and include its surrounding counties.

Based on input from experts at Vistakon, a division of Johnson & Johnson Vision Products, Inc., and Sperling's Best Places' 20 years of expertise in analyzing and ranking places, the following criteria was established:

-- Altitude
    -- Sunny days
    -- Wind
    -- Extreme temperatures
    -- Humidity
    -- Pollution
    -- Commute time
    -- Computer use

The categories of humidity, pollution, extreme temperature and altitude were considered to be most important. The remaining criteria of sunny days, wind, commute time and computer use were considered to be less significant.

Points were assigned on a 1-100 point scale for each category in a metro area, where 100 represented the greatest eye discomfort. The points were summed for each metro area, which were sorted by the total points to determine the places which were the best and worst for eye comfort.

Data sources: National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, Environmental Protection Agency, Census Bureau, Claritas Inc.

Comment

cities with the environmental conditions most likely to aggravate dry eye.

http://www.healthywomen.org/newsroom...spotsfactsheet

DRY EYE HOT SPOTS Fact Sheet
      Dry Eye Hot Spots
      pdf icon View PDF
      document icon Chronic Dry Eye Tool Kit

The DRY EYE HOT SPOTS are a listing of the 100 cities with the environmental conditions most likely to aggravate dry eye. The rankings are part of a National Women's Health Research Center (NWHRC) educational initiative and are based on data archived by the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration's National Climatic Data Center and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

DRY EYE HOT SPOTS Facts:

Las Vegas, Nev. is the #1 DRY EYE HOT SPOT

Four of the top five DRY EYE HOT SPOTS and five of the top ten DRY EYE HOT SPOTS are located in the state of Texas

Beyond the top five, large metropolitan cities on the list include: Atlanta, Ga.; Boston, Mass.; New York, N.Y.; Philadelphia, Pa.; Miami, Fla.; Washington, D.C.; Chicago, Ill.; Los Angeles, Calif.; and San Francisco, Calif.

Atlanta, Ga. is the only East Coast city that ranks among the top ten DRY EYE HOT SPOTS

Thinking of traveling to your favorite oceanside vacation destination to escape dry eye? Think again. Honolulu, Hawaii is ranked the #10 DRY EYE HOT SPOT; Miami, Fla. and San Diego, Calif. also made the list

Boston, Mass. is the northern most city in the top 100 DRY EYE HOT SPOTS

At #100, Columbus, Ga. is the best city in the top 100 for people with dry eye

About the DRY EYE HOT SPOTS Rankings:

The DRY EYE HOT SPOTS are ranked according to a weighted average of the following environmental factors known to aggravate dry eye symptoms: 1,2,3,4
      - Altitude - Temperature
      - Humidity levels - Wind
      - Pollution - Ocular allergy irritants
      http://www.healthywomen.org/newsroom...spotsfactsheet

The DRY EYE HOT SPOTS rankings are based on data archived by the National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration's National Climatic Data Center and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). Researchers examined information from more than six sources to gather national, state and municipal data on temperature, humidity, wind, altitude, pollutants and ocular allergy prescriptions

Comment

The top 20 U.S. cities named as dry eye hot spots are:

REDBANK, N.J., June 2006 — The National Women's Health Resource Center has named the top 100 dry eye hot spots in the United States based on information compiled from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's Climatic Data Center and the Environmental Protection Agency.

Factors used in the selection process included temperatures, humidity, wind, altitude, pollutants, and ocular allergens.

The top 20 U.S. cities named as dry eye hot spots are:

1. Las Vegas, Nevada
        2.* Lubbock, Texas
        2.* El Paso, Texas
        4. Midland/Odessa, Texas
        5. Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
        6. Atlanta, Georgia
        7. Salt Lake City, Utah
        8. Phoenix, Arizona
        9. Amarillo, Texas
        10. Honolulu, Hawaii

11. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
        12. Albuquerque, New Mexico
        13. Tucson, Arizona
        14. Norfolk, Virginia
        15. Newark, New Jersey
        16. Boston, Massachusetts
        17. Denver, Colorado
        18. Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
        19.* Bakersfield, California
        19.* Wichita, Kansas

*Cities were tied for these spots.

Comment

DRY EYE 100 HOT SPOTS Rankings List

http://www.healthywomen.org/newsroom...tsrankingslist
          CITY, STATE

RANK

CITY, STATE

RANK

Las Vegas , Nev.

Buffalo , N.Y.

Lubbock , Texas

Greensboro/Winston/
          Salem/High Point, N.C.

El Paso , Texas

Stockton , Calif.

Midland/Odessa, Texas

Birmingham , Ala.

Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas

Washington , D.C.

Atlanta , Ga.

Chicago , Ill.

Salt Lake City , Utah

Columbia , S.C.

Phoenix , Ariz.

Columbus , Ohio

Amarillo , Texas

Milwaukee , Wis.

Honolulu , Hawaii

Richmond , Va.

Oklahoma City , Okla.

Minneapolis/St. Paul, Minn.

Albuquerque , N.M.

Corpus Christi , Texas

Tucson , Ariz.

Erie , Pa.

Norfolk , Va.

Des Moines , Iowa

Newark , N.J.

Reno , Nev.

Boston , Mass.

Lexington , Ky.

Denver , Colo.

Brownsville , Texas

Pittsburgh , Pa.

Los Angeles , Calif.

Bakersfield , Calif.

Omaha , Neb.

Wichita , Kan.

Grand Rapids , Mich.

Dayton , Ohio

Nashville , Tenn.

Kansas City , Mo.

Savannah , Ga.

New York , N.Y.

San Francisco , Calif.

Philadelphia , Pa.

Indianapolis , Ind.

Baltimore , Md.

Little Rock , Ark.

Providence , R.I.

Spokane , Wash.

St. Louis , Mo.

South Bend , Ind.

Greater Cincinnati , Ohio

Flint , Mich.

Cleveland , Ohio

Houston , Texas

Fresno , Calif.

Mobile , Ala.

Tulsa , Okla.

Chattanooga , Tenn.

Miami , Fla.

Lansing , Mich.

San Antonio , Texas

Rochester , N.Y.

Charlotte , N.C.

Augusta , Ga.

Sacramento , Calif.

Springfield , Ill.

Colorado Springs , Colo.

Lincoln , Neb.

Boise , Idaho

Fort Wayne , Ind.

Detroit , Mich.

Syracuse , N.Y.

Orlando , Fla.

Evansville , Ind.

Louisville , Ky.

San Diego , Calif.

Memphis , Tenn.

Topeka , Kan.

Allentown , Pa.

Toledo , Ohio

Hartford , Conn.

New Orleans , La.

Austin , Texas

Huntsville , Ala.

Raleigh , N.C.

Baton Rouge , La.

Tampa , Fla.

Jacksonville , Fla.

Pueblo , Colo.

Peoria , Ill.

Springfield , Mo.

Sioux Falls , S.D.

Akron , Ohio

Athens , Ga.

Knoxville , Tenn.

Columbus , Ga.

Comment

Florida/Cali/Ohio

I lived in Fl (about 30 min from the coast) until I was 20. I never had dry eye issues. I then lived in California, about 5 minutes from the coast (boy do I miss that!!!), and didn't have dry eye issues. THEN... I moved to Columbus, Ohio 3 years ago (crazy me) and have had dry eye issues ever since.

I have visited both Fl and Cali since I moved to Ohio and every time I went to a climate with a much higher humitidy, my DES practically disappeared. And low and behold, when I returned to Ohio, my DES came back with a vengence. So... Florida is good! For me atleast, relative humidity is a HUGE factor with my eyes.

Comment

Thanks Hosados!

Thank you sooo much for posting the list of the top 100 dry eye cities!! (I also commented in the humidifier/environmental factors thread)

I definitely feel better when I'm visiting a place with high humidity. So much that I'm heavily considering a move to one of those places. I've never been able to find a list like the one you did and I'm really glad that you posted these findings.

Comment

I live in northern New Jersey and my eyes are killing me here. I have thyroid eye disease and allergies to dust mites, cats (I have 2 ), ragweed, and tree pollen. Where can I move that would be better that also does not snow? My favorite places so far are So Ca (family there), Fla, Hawaii(probably is too expensive), and AZ (most likely too dry).

I would love to hear from anyone on this subject since I really think moving is my next big trial after all the drops, plugs, goggles, spa masks, etc.

Comment

Working...
                X