X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airline travel

Hello,
    HELP!! I'm taking a 7 hour plane trip, and I'm terrified of the eye drying effects of the airplane cabin. Does anyone have any ideas or tips to make airplane travel more comfortable? Does anyone know about a personal humidifier that can be carried on the plane? By the way, what is the typical humidity on an airplane? Many thanks!
    Karen
    sigpic

TranquilEyes

Hi, Karen.

Will it be a long trip on the plane or will you have layovers? I would take a pair of Tranquileyes, and I would take an extra set of foam inserts. That way, if the trip is really long, you can replace them and stop the worry about bacterial growth. I also might consider getting a bottle of the "waters" that one can spray onto the foam. It will be better than lugging your own distilled water with you.

Of course, I'd also have my genteal gel, if I thought I'd be sleeping, a bottle of favorite eye drops on hand and maybe some bland drops in a cool pack, so that you can reduce inflammation.

Of course, drink lots of water!

I hope that it all goes well for you. Are there any special things that you do anyway that might help, like wear moisture-chamber glasses during the day or contact lenses?

--Liz

Comment

I know how you feel...in May I'll have o fly 9 hours to see Dr. Latkany in NY and I'm really scared esp. because my eyes are horrible even after a 1 hour flight. I would suggest an ointment and Tranquileyes.

Comment

Check also

Travel forum

Products

Stray thoughts - some people like Onion Goggles in flight because that way they can read or watch movies.

Don't forget to check current restrictions for any liquids. Usually it's anything you can fit in a quart sized ziplock bag but no single thing greater than 3 oz (though personally I've never had any trouble with 4 oz Unisol bottles).
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Yeah I think it's 75ml limit still on liquids, no bottles that hold more than that amount - even if half empty are allowed - depends on airports though, can be a bit random. You have to make sure it all fits in the ziploc too.

To be honest if it's the 'one time' you use tap water to wet the inserts to tranquileyes I don't think it's too much of a problem. We let shower water in our eyes every day...
          just keep swimming...

Comment

Originally posted by Stanza View Post
            [snip] We let shower water in our eyes every day...
            Ahem, some of us. I just recently stopped showering with swimming goggles, thanks to Dwelle. The goggles are a major hassle, btw.
            Last edited by liz56; 09-Mar-2008, 14:40. Reason: mistake

Comment

airline travel

What type of "waters' that you spray on do you use?
              sigpic

Comment

Liz, I can't stop laughing. Sorry, I know it's a medical necessity, but it's just making me laugh thinking of what we all must look like in our private lives in our quest to make our eyes feel better. I dry my hair with my onion glasses on. You shower with goggles on. Half the people here have tape on their faces at night.
                I guess it's no wonder why they haven't made a dirty video called, "The Women of Dry Eye Zone" yet.

Comment

very interesting,
                  I remember taking a trip to California, a "red eye" no less. When I got to my hotel room my eyes were some of the reddest theyve ever been. I thought it was the change in air from New England to Cali, but you are probably right, it was most likely the plane.

Comment

Originally posted by kkahthesea View Post
                    What type of "waters' that you spray on do you use?
                    Hi, I have not tried them yet, but I want to. The people who make TranquilEyes market them to travelers as well at to dry-eye people, and the waters are available on their site, and I have not seen them at the DEZ Shop yet:

http://www.eyeeco.com/home/file/prod...x_formula.html

NYer, you are TOO funny. You have me thinking... a calendar, maybe?

Comment

Karen

I travel frequently between Australia and the UK (some 21+ hours of flight time) + airport time makes a nightmare for my eyes.

The current onboard luggage restrictions prohibit liquids over a certain limit. I just put loads of pres free vials in my little 1L regulation see through resealable plastic bag and tend to be OK.

I find the worst part is when you start dozing and my eyes really dry out.

I ALWAYS request an isle seat so that I can get up as and when needed.

I tend to take systane (as this is my current drop of choice), and Viscotears Pres Free. I use the Systane every 2 hours or so, and the Viscotears when I feel like I am starting to Doze.

I also take a pair of Tranquil eyes as the airline masks are just rubbish (some carriers don't even hand them out now - talk about redefined economy class).

Also, I drink loads of water - the flight crew must think they have a camel on board when I fly with the amount of water I drink.

All in all, I arrive feeling like crap but I am sure most people would after a flight of this duration.

I wish you well

Regards

Ian

Comment

you just have to laugh!

Originally posted by NYer View Post
                        Liz, I can't stop laughing. Sorry, I know it's a medical necessity, but it's just making me laugh thinking of what we all must look like in our private lives in our quest to make our eyes feel better. I dry my hair with my onion glasses on. You shower with goggles on. Half the people here have tape on their faces at night.
                        I guess it's no wonder why they haven't made a dirty video called, "The Women of Dry Eye Zone" yet.
                        I'm with you on this NYer...the things we have to get up to in order to make our lives bearable...
                        My partner is now quite used to my twice daily routine, and in the evening I'm quite often in the sitting room with my tray containing the bowl of warm water, kettle to top it up constantly, towel on lap, dipping and squeezing out the face cloth and sitting with it on my eyes listening the to whatever TV programme we were watching...then as I breathe the sigh of relief at the end he'll ask "have you got the cloud of the meibomian fluid flowing nicely now?"... (mercifully he is in healthcare himself, so has some understanding of what I'm attempting to do)

What with the tranquileyes at night, the little tray of bowl containing boiled water to replenish the inner pads by the bed...the "over the glasses goggles" each time we go out, which he says make me look like something out of The FLY...as you say, a sexy look it ain't!!!

Never mind, he says at least he gets a laugh, and much prefers it to the endless suffering he had to watch for months and months...

perhaps we should start a silly thread somewhere and post some photos of us in our silliest outfits - I wonder where would be appropriate?

Comment

Working...
                        X