Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Computer. How do I manage being on it.

Hi all, I'm in day 2 of my dry eyes and not happy girl.

Because of my health problems I am home all day laying down watching Tv or on my laptop. ALL DAY LONG! So this is seriously hampering my life.

Can someone explain to me in simple terms why looking at the computer screen dries my eyes out so much. I can be on for maybe 10 minutes and my eyes are already dry.

What can I do to lessen this? Would a colored film over my screen help? I've enlarged the screen like someone suggested somewhere so that helps.

I'd like to be able to use my computer at least an hour before I have to rest and put it down.

Thanks

Hi Mewkiss,

A major problem with computer use is that when we look at the screen, we tend to stare and not blink. When we don't blink, our eyes get drier. There is an eye blink icon that can be downloaded onto your computer. The eye blink and thus reminds you to blink. It can be found on the main page of the dry eye zone. It is a good idea to plan breaks where you look away from the computer.

Comment

Couple of additional tips - try to arrange that the computer be situated low in relation to your eyes so you're looking down, not straight out or up, so that more of your eye surfaces are covered by your lids. If you have any goggles or safety glasses you can wear while on the computer/TV that will help too by retaining moisture around the eyes.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Hi Rebecca, I read about that. Because of my other health problems, I am always laying down almost flat with my computer on my lap. I think I can try to keep my eyes half closed that will help.

But knowing why this happens, and that I need to blink helps. For me understanding why is a huge help.

Now to find that blink icon. (hope it works on my mac)

I wear glasses so goggles are probably out of the question for me, at least for now.

Comment

Where is this icon?

Comment

http://dryeyezone.com/reminders/index.html

There's also a link to a more sophisticated kind of reminder.
            Rebecca Petris
            The Dry Eye Foundation
            dryeyefoundation.org
            800-484-0244

Comment

This is fantastic! Thanks so much! Workrave won't work on my Mac but I love this blinker.

Comment

Works great on a Mac if you drag an eyeball onto a sticky note and put it in a corner of the screen where it won't get covered up.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

I have my eyeball just to the right of my screen where I can see it but it's not in the way of stuff. I will try the stickies though if this does not work. Right now this is good.

It seems though once my eyes get dry from looking at the screen, no matter how much I blink they are toast and I have to stop. This is really going to be a problem I have to figure out.

Comment

I use f.lux program. It softens the color of the display. I love it, it has eased my eyestrain from using the computer considerably.

http://stereopsis.com/flux/

I also use Eyes Relax, you can set it to remind you at any interval you choose to take a break and rest your eyes.

http://themech.net/eyesrelax/

Hope these work on a mac, I have a pc
                    Last edited by magoo; 12-Aug-2011, 12:34. Reason: correct spelling

Comment

Magoo! Holy smokes this is great! It really takes the edge off my eyes. And it put the icon in my toolbar to remind me. Fantastic.

I have not done the eyesrelax because I cannot see a Mac download. I'll look. I have a blinker set up so that is helping me too.

I can really tell already how much of a difference this makes.

Thanks.

Comment

f.lux is a lifesaver (eyesaver) for me. After you use it for awhile and go back and look at your screen without it, you'll wonder how you ever stood the glare. I have mine set so that it is always on the night setting.

Comment

No kidding. You can feel your eyes feel less stress from it. I have them both set almost all they way to the left. Is that what you have? Oh and I just noticed you can choose the kind of light you want, halogen, tungsten..I have my on the custom I think.

I am looking at something called Time Out. I need a break though. I'm addicted to my computer so this is soooo hard.

Comment

f.lux is awesome. I don't know how I lived without it. I always forget to tell people about it because it just works quietly in the background.
                            Rebecca Petris
                            The Dry Eye Foundation
                            dryeyefoundation.org
                            800-484-0244

Comment

This is the best thing for my computer in ages. Even if I didn't have dry eyes I'd be using it. Should be a must have to use your computer. Can't say thanks enough.

I downloaded Time Out which is for Mac;s. Not sure how to use it yet. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X