Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just went and looked at my settings. I thought mine was set for night, but I see now it is actually set on Halogen. Yes, way over to the left for both. I couldn't figure out why I would want the brighter settings, the fluorescent and daylight settings are just too bright for me. I tell everyone I can about f.lux, it's not very well known and it should be. It is so common, even for people without dry eye, to have eye problems with being on the computer.

Comment

I wonder what the difference between the halogen and customer setting is? It seems like the halogen is a little brighter. Not sure.
      Yes people should know about this. I had to get rid of the other program. The timer thing. It slowed my computer down so much it was horrible. Nothing was loading.

I do see that the computer is my downfall. When not on it I can force myself to blink and get some tears going and am much more comfortable. I feel like my vision is blurry trying to keep my eyes 1/2 closed.

This is so much trial and error.

Thanks magoo, I owe you a cocktail!

Comment

hmmm, I don't have a custom setting, just halogen, fluorescent and daylight. Maybe it's different on a Mac?
        So glad this helps you

Comment

I just looked and it says Lighting at night... then gives me those options plus the custom. I'll see later on.

Yes you were a huge help. Love your puppy.

Comment

At my LipiFlow appointment in July, I was given blinking exercises. I've cut-and-pasted the instructions below.

BLINKING EXERCISES

Blinking Sequence:

Close – Pause – Pause – Open – Relax
            Close – Pause – Pause – Squeeze – Open - Relax

1. Hold your fingers at the corners of your eyes and blink. If you feel anything, you are using your defense muscle that runs along the side of your head. Your blinking muscles are above the eyelids.

2. Read the blinking sequence. It is very important to do the pause step to make complete contact between the upper and lower lids (partial blinking is very common in people with dry eye). When you are doing it correctly you should feel no movement under your fingers.

3. Blinking is very task-dependent. For example, if you spend a lot of time on the computer, you are probably blinking much less frequently and might want to post a copy of the blinking exercises nearby. (Other pastimes that decrease the blink rate are reading, driving, etc.)

4. Lastly, it you have difficulty consciously incorporating the blinking exercises into your schedule (i.e., 5x/hour), you might want to think about something that you do often in your daily routine, such as answering phone calls, sending emails, drinking sips of water, etc. If you can condition yourself to make full contact and give a little squeeze every time you perform this action, it ought to help tremendously and be easier to do than the exercises alone.

Comment

Where under computer settings do I find something for light? I want to try this out, the computer is my dry eye pit fall.

Comment

Thanks spmcc, this is very interesting. I do feel the muscles move at the side of my eyes when I blink and I bet that helps cause my headaches, too. I have copied and printed your post.

Comment

I downloaded the application F.lux. Then you set up the preferences you want about brightness of the screen, stuff like that. It was pretty easy for me.

Comment

Trac, try this: http://stereopsis.com/flux/

Comment

Very interesting. I can manage to do the exercises, just have to remember of course. And make sure I'm doing them correctlly.

Can you explain to me just what these are for? To keep the eye moist?

Comment

It was explained to me that the closing of the eyelids stimulates the glands to produce oil which is spread across the ocular surface by the upper eyelids.

It could be a double whammy - as partial blinking is very common in people with dry eyes, we're drying out from exposure PLUS we're drying out because oil isn't being stimulated and spread.

Comment

This is good information. Not sure if I"m doing it quite right but as long as I'm doing something I think that is a start. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Best setting for stereopsis

Hi all! Just wondering what you would say the best setting is for stereopsis? I am on teh computer for 7-8 hours a day at work and would love any suggestion on the best setting for the computer with this app!

Comment

I have mine set, both controls, all the way over to the left. That gives the screen the most "softness" day and night.

Comment

Do blinking exercises affect eye closure at night?

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
                                It was explained to me that the closing of the eyelids stimulates the glands to produce oil which is spread across the ocular surface by the upper eyelids.

It could be a double whammy - as partial blinking is very common in people with dry eyes, we're drying out from exposure PLUS we're drying out because oil isn't being stimulated and spread.
                                So do the blinking exercises do anything for keeping eyes closed at night? I have only one eye that has a partial blink, and I assume it doesn't close completely at night. That is also the eye that I feel something at the corner of my eye when I blink. How do I train it not to do that?

Comment

Working...
                                X