X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-ink Monitors --- What do you think?

Guys,

I found E-Ink devices like Kindle and Nook very very pleasing to the eyes. My eyes do not get dry even if I read 10 continuous hours on Kindle. I think E Ink screens are more comfortable to dry eye sufferers than LCD or LED screens. I hope in future they manufacture E-Ink Monitors and Laptops. It will be a boon to those people who have dry eyes and have to work on computer all day. If they come on market, I will be the first person to buy.

What do you guys think? Do you have more information on E ink Monitors ??? When they will be available ???

- Subashli
    Last edited by subashli; 03-May-2012, 10:52.

The e-ink black/white screens aren't going to be used in monitors as far as I know. The e-ink company is making a color e-ink screen called Triton which you can now buy ($500 as of now) in the Ectacto e-reader, but not a monitor or any other device... yet. Color e-ink or something that looks similar will eventually make it into monitors I think. Mirasol is another company trying to make color screens that reflect light; three e-readers are now available that use them (in China and South Korea) but no monitors are in the works. The closest thing you can buy as of today is Pixel Qi 10" netbook or tablet (also $500 as of now). The Pixel Qi screen is reflective and so might be easy on the eyes, also does color, but its contrast is not as good as black/white e-ink right now as far as I know.

Comment

I agree, Subashli!

When I have to read something lengthy, I read paper or a Kindle (the old kind). I love it; backlit monitors hurt my eyes. I hope that an alternative will be developed.

Liz

Comment

I wish there were e-ink monitors as well. Until then, I want to share a very useful tip I use a lot lately. There is a google chrome plugin called "Send to Kindle" ... with literally 2 clicks I can send a webpage to my kindle over wifi. It works really slick, and its free.

To do this, you can get google chrome here if you don't already have it: https://www.google.com/chrome

then you can get Send to kindle here:
        https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...lfbommidgmalan

Comment

Thank you, so much, gilligan_1434! That is wonderful!

--Liz

Comment

Thanks gilligan.

I found a link on how to use Kindle DX as E Ink computer monitor. It is an interesting experiment and one can try. But watch out, you might destroy your kindle.

http://tinyapps.org/docs/e-ink-monitor.html

It's still hard to read on a 6 inch screen or 10 '' screen. I would prefer a 14 inch Kindle to use it as a monitor and do all the computer related stuff. But screen refresh rate is still a problem.

- Subashli

Comment

Working...
            X