Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For dry eyes, definately working outdoors is better. You can wear wrap arounds or sclerals and you're not exposed to harsh air conditioners or always having to focus up 'close' in front of a computer. I've been paragliding, horseback riding, etc with my Wiley X glasses and had no problems at all and i am super dry (1mm on schirmers test).
    Or if forced to work in front of computers in air conditioned rooms, it's very difficult if under a boss and you can't take breaks when you need. I work in front of a computer a lot, but don't have a boss so I go for a walk, lie down and shut my eyes for a bit, wash closed eyes with water to refreshen, and will take a paracetomol if feel a headache coming on. I always get headaches with computer use, but find I get them less frequently (if at all) if I have my scleral lenses on underneath the moisture chamber glasses.

Comment

DCR you are so lucky! I'm envious!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tankie View Post
        In my opinion the best career path for someone who has serious dry eyes would be any job where you do not have to interact with other people. The reason I say this is because if you're in pain, this is definitely going to affect you ability to socialize. Furthermore, if you're around other people, you won't be able to put in eye drops whenever you want unless both you and your co-workers have no problems with this behaviour. Now the question is, can you brainstorm some ideas of jobs that you could do that require minimal interaction with others?
        I wouldn't let interacting with others stop you from pursuing a job... I work with the public every minute for my job, and am right there front and center in front of a steady stream of strangers every single day - I've worn my sunglasses Wiley X's at work (even though they look quite odd indoors at work and do NOT go with my work outfits in the slightest - picture dress pants and business-ish attire with Wiley X sunglasses... not exactly a great look lol), I put in drops in front of people a gazillion times a day, I've had days where I am quite squinty, have red eyes, blink a several times per SECOND etc. - all while working with others and/or dealing with the public on a constant basis.

If anyone were to have a problem with my "behavior" they'd get a detailed explanation of why this "behavior" is crucial to my ability to work (as opposed to being home on disability for example) And for the record, not one person, out of hundreds and hundreds who have seen me at work in this state, has ever had a problem with what I have to do or what I have to look like in order to function with my eyes as they are. I often joke about being the "eye drop queen" to customers when they see me putting in drops, and if they ask why I use them, I'll tell them it's because LASIK messed up my eyes (figure I may as well get the word out that LASIK isn't all roses haha)

Anyhow, just wanted to say that so anyone else debating about what they can and cannot do with severely dry eyes doesn't let things like dealing with people stop them. Dry eyes stops us from enough without letting it limit us any more than absolutely necessary.

Originally posted by alex123711 View Post
        I'm kind of weighing up between accounting and surveying, just trying to figure out which will be best for dry eyes.. working in the elements all day or on a computer/ aircon all day :s I know you can wear wraparounds outside but this is not all the time, I find they fog up so wearing them in the rain doesn't really work.
        I think being outdoors in the elements would be waaaaaay better than indoors on a computer all day. I'd rather have to take off my Wiley's to unfog them by waving them around as often as required than have to look at a computer all day with these eyes. Granted, even being outdoors has it's challenges... but I just think it's the better of the two options.

Comment

Just so frustrating how limiting this condition is.

Comment

I work in a hospital and not sure if i can continue. i try to avoid stuffy rooms but people think im lazy avoiding meetings. has anyone taken sick leave for a while? That's what i need ..
            http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

Ok babysitting has to be perfect job! In peoples homes no AC or computer .yessss .
              http://www.hymntime.com/tch/htm/a/l/l/t/allthings.htm

Comment

Hi,

I am in the proces of changing jobs myself. I currently work full time in an office environment,but i can't continue doing this. Its just too harsh on the eyes.
                My new job will be totally outside all of the time. I will of course have a small office for myself where i can have my breaks,eat,use the computer and make telephone calls. The good thing about this small office i have for myself is that this is a very small place and i can adjust the humidity there exactly the way i want it. When working outside my eyes don't bother me very much.
                Originally i am a skilled car painter,metal worker. I still do this for a hobby although it is a little more than a hobby. I do this on a daily basis for several hours. I restore classic cars. What i don't really understand is that this work is inside as well. At times there is a lot of dust and heat involved and my eyes just don't bother me at all! Maybe a very important factor to it is that working on cars is relaxing me.it doesn't wear me out at all. I love creating beautiful things. Could there be a mental component playing a role? I have to admit the humidity in my work shop is not nearly as low as the office i work in,but i find it still very remarkable....

Comment

agreed.There has got to be a better solution than this.

Comment

Anthony, How are you getting on at uni? Any advice on choosing medical/science/health professions?
                    Patrick, Absolutely sure that stress and anxiety is inflammatory. What a good observation.
                    Thanks everyone, I'll make sure my teenager sees this, it's so useful for us while she is choosing courses x
                    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Have you heard of voc rehab? Its a program thats helps ppl find a new line of work if they can no longer stay at their current jobs. Examples are construction ppl that hurt their backs or ppl with anxiety. They have a counselor work with you to find the beat possible job it then help with training. Its an American program and the coat is based on your income.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
                        Anthony, How are you getting on at uni? Any advice on choosing medical/science/health professions?
                        Patrick, Absolutely sure that stress and anxiety is inflammatory. What a good observation.
                        Thanks everyone, I'll make sure my teenager sees this, it's so useful for us while she is choosing courses x
                        Hi LM,
                        I actually passed all my Xmas exams at uni pretty comfortably,even though the course is incredibly demanding.
                        my eyes however have gotten very bad in the last month or 2 for no apparent reason.I havent eaten sweets in the last 6 months or so so i guess diet has nothing to do with it.The worsening of my eyes probably wont affect my ability to study.
                        I think community pharmacy could be a good career for dry eye patients.No air con,9-5 work,good pay..Not sure how much computer use would be involved though.

Comment

Anthony, Wow ~ very well done on the exams, your course is so tough. We're very happy to hear it. SAAG suggested pharmacy too because of pay + flexibility x
                          Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

only thing i want a career in is accounting and looks like it will be impossible. Its frustrating

Comment

Working...
                            X