This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad Computers

Can iPads, with their smaller screens, help with dry eye, or will a person still experience the same suffering as with a larger screen? I'm thinking of making the investment if it helps.

Thanks.

Good question. I'd be interested to see the responses from others. I try to avoid too much computer/smartphone or other electronic screens as much as I can now outside of what's required for work (and this site, of course). Some of it has to do with dry eye, the other reason is that the light from these backlit screens has been shown to interfere with sleep. I've always had problems falling asleep and this stuff doesn't help.

Comment

Couple of things to keep in mind with computers and dry eye in general (apart from the light issues):
      1) You blink less frequently when staring at a screen, hence less tear secretion, less tear distribution, more evaporative loss. Must have a solution to this, some kind of blink reminder.
      2) To the extent you are looking up or straight across at your screen, more of your eye surface is exposed, hence more evaporative loss. (Try it and you'll see what I mean immediately.)

When you combine those two, that's a big share of what causes increased symptoms when using computers.

My view on the ipad would be, unless you've propped it up in a stand, you're looking down at it, period. More of your eye surfaces are covered up, which is a good thing.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you for the advice, Rebecca. I'm trying FLUX (The screen that changes it's light as the day goes on), and goggles. I got the idea of a smaller screen from the idea that it does seem to help to be outside in natural light. My eyes get better. So, with that in mind, I thought what about a smaller screen and larger text on the screen so there is more distance between my eyes and the screen, and not so much screen area. Also, I opened the screens on my windows so that around my computer, it is flooded by natural light (the windows are behind the computer screen). It's not scientific, but more natural light, drowning out the intensity of the computer screen, has perhaps caused me to blink my eyes more, because it seems to have helped.

I probably can't do the looking down at my screen. I had neck troubles which I'm sure my sitting and bending my neck contributed, to. So currently my computer is slightly above my eyes. Perhaps I'll try out the lower computer again, if these other ideas don't bring results. The theory behind your idea seems right. Don't want the neck troubles again :-)

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
        Couple of things to keep in mind with computers and dry eye in general (apart from the light issues):
        1) You blink less frequently when staring at a screen, hence less tear secretion, less tear distribution, more evaporative loss. Must have a solution to this, some kind of blink reminder.
        2) To the extent you are looking up or straight across at your screen, more of your eye surface is exposed, hence more evaporative loss. (Try it and you'll see what I mean immediately.)

When you combine those two, that's a big share of what causes increased symptoms when using computers.

My view on the ipad would be, unless you've propped it up in a stand, you're looking down at it, period. More of your eye surfaces are covered up, which is a good thing.

Comment

Working...
        X