This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am disapointed at the lack of warnings & information

I have always been a heavy user of computers and I never had dry eyes. Since the new technology gadgets came up in the market (smartphones, laptops), I developped dry eyes with time because we are much more focused and we use them close to our eyes. So, I always did a research about eyes and computer and the only results I would come up with are: Computer Vision Sydrome which is temporary and it's when your eyes become all red. It looks like it's not the worst as you can see , the worst is Chronic Dry eyes which is a lack of tears in layers.

I am disapointed at ophtalmologists and the companies that put new stuff on the market such as Apple. It's great to have new gadgets on the market but what about the effects of those on humans? I sincerely think they have no effects on the eyes such as my ophtalmologist told me but the problem is brightness. Yes, a high brightness will make your eyes drier and this is what happened to me. I bought an LCD filter screen but I bought it too late.Now, I know Dry eyes can be cured but with the current technology era, it's extremely difficult. I want to go back to school but I have to use the computer a lot and that's what makes me disapointed too.

This is a very intersting topic - are screens to blame for dry eye?
    You read that we blink less when looking at screens so that may be an issue. But, I also think it is to do with sitting too close to a large object of concentration. This forces us to keep our eyes open wide which exposes them to more drying.
    Therefore, large TVs, large computer monitors and cinemas would be bad. But, on my theory smartphones should be better, even beter than books.
    Of course, I am only guessing with all of this.

Comment

I wanted to tell everyone that I have some good news to report in terms of managing my symptoms - it seems as though my dry eye gets hugely aggravated by both driving and also by working at a standard office computer, e.g. with a narrow bright screen that I am looking straight at/slightly upwards. I have started taking my laptop into work (wide, not bright screen that I am looking at down at) and the improvement is just unbelievable. I have also found my symptoms to be much better on weeks when I have not been working at all.
      Here's what Allendintears just posted. I guess no one got dry eye reading books.
      Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Originally posted by dryeye4ever View Post
        I have always been a heavy user of computers and I never had dry eyes. Since the new technology gadgets came up in the market (smartphones, laptops), I developped dry eyes with time because we are much more focused and we use them close to our eyes. So, I always did a research about eyes and computer and the only results I would come up with are: Computer Vision Sydrome which is temporary and it's when your eyes become all red. It looks like it's not the worst as you can see , the worst is Chronic Dry eyes which is a lack of tears in layers.

I am disapointed at ophtalmologists and the companies that put new stuff on the market such as Apple. It's great to have new gadgets on the market but what about the effects of those on humans? I sincerely think they have no effects on the eyes such as my ophtalmologist told me but the problem is brightness. Yes, a high brightness will make your eyes drier and this is what happened to me. I bought an LCD filter screen but I bought it too late.Now, I know Dry eyes can be cured but with the current technology era, it's extremely difficult. I want to go back to school but I have to use the computer a lot and that's what makes me disapointed too.
        I suspect one has to have a predisposition to get dry eyes from the computer though. Prior to LASIK I could use the computer for 12 hour days, then turn it off and read or watch TV for a few more hours - I had zero issues with dryness as a result. Enter LASIK, and everything changed.

So many things can aggravate dry eyes, and we already see warnings for so many other things, to be honest, I'd be annoyed to see warnings on the computer that it could aggravate my dry eyes, warnings on the TV that it could aggravate/cause dry eyes, warnings on the door to go outside that wind could aggravate/cause dry eyes, warnings in the library that reading or using their computers could aggravate my dry eyes. Know what I mean? Granted, I'm getting carried away with the warnings on exterior doors about wind hehe... but where would they draw the line?

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
          I suspect one has to have a predisposition to get dry eyes from the computer though. Prior to LASIK I could use the computer for 12 hour days, then turn it off and read or watch TV for a few more hours - I had zero issues with dryness as a result. Enter LASIK, and everything changed.

So many things can aggravate dry eyes, and we already see warnings for so many other things, to be honest, I'd be annoyed to see warnings on the computer that it could aggravate my dry eyes, warnings on the TV that it could aggravate/cause dry eyes, warnings on the door to go outside that wind could aggravate/cause dry eyes, warnings in the library that reading or using their computers could aggravate my dry eyes. Know what I mean? Granted, I'm getting carried away with the warnings on exterior doors about wind hehe... but where would they draw the line?
          I agree with SAAG.

I don't think computer screen is the only cause for the dry eyes or eye pain of people on this board. I mean, there is something more to someone have tha kind of pain or dryness to have found out this board.

I think using computer, watching TV get things worse in our case, but are not the cause.

Comment

I don't think screens are the cause of dry eye, but what is an issue is why looking at them seems to be so bad for anyone with dry eye. I was pointing out in my earlier post that I think it is not only that the greater level of concentration means we blink less, but also that having the eyes widely open when looking at a large screen is a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by neilw View Post
              I don't think screens are the cause of dry eye, but what is an issue is why looking at them seems to be so bad for anyone with dry eye. I was pointing out in my earlier post that I think it is not only that the greater level of concentration means we blink less, but also that having the eyes widely open when looking at a large screen is a problem.
              I would add the brightness, and I guess the radiation either.

Comment

The problem is definitely brightness. I remember when I had a desktop computer, I would always reduce the brightness, that was really bright move. I knew uncounsiously that having bright screen in front of me was bad but my laptop i had a screen repair, I was feeling the pain and fatigue when I was using that screen so I decided to buy a filter lcd screen, was too late.

Comment

In the news... technology increasing dry eye: http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...lth&id=9252416

Comment

Though I'm not familiar with the research, if the type of light emitted from screens, even tiny ones, has the ability to fool your system into thinking it is still daylight, and thus interferes with sleep, then maybe there are some other factors not quite explored about screens that may not necessarily cause dry eye, but could certainly push someone way over the edge with their symptoms. All these screens certainly are not a good thing, and I tend to enjoy life more when limiting my time away from them.

Comment

Working...
                    X