Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So can computers cause dry eye over time?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So can computers cause dry eye over time?

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...94000939418538

This is an old article, but I found these points interesting:

Spending a lot of time in low-humidity environments, such as air-conditioned office buildings or airplane cabins, also can promote dry eye, as a recent study published in the journal Cornea found. And staring at a computer or smartphone screen for long periods also can contribute to dry eye, as people forget to blink....

Later in the article:

Every time you blink and your top lid touches the bottom lid, the meibomian glands squirt oil that stabilizes the tear film, said Dr. Marioneaux. "If you're not blinking completely, which actually a lot of people do, you're not getting the release of this oil. So oil backs up in the lid and begins to get thicker and starts to clog up the oil gland," she said.

So I guess when we're using the computer, we're not blinking "completely" as the doctor mentions? If I'm not interpreting this incorrectly, it would make sense that computer use has the potential to begin the inflammatory cycle. Of course, we all know that there are other factors at play as well, but it's something to think hard about.

What on earth is our society going to do? Come on with some "no screen" technology, and quick!! : )

http://i1368.photobucket.com/albums/...psb6fbd2de.jpg

Comment

That's great, Colin P! And so true!

Comment

My heart sinks when I see people using a 'kindle' well that's what there called over here. It's a piece of glass, backlit , and is instead of a book.
        You turn the 'page' over by touching a button I think?. As I understand it, part of the enjoyment of a book is the feel of it, flicking through it etc.
        Apparantly you download a book onto it?. God help us.

On the subject. I was listening to the radio recently, and the speaker claimed that there is now actualy towns in America that no longer have a newspaper!!??. Cos everyone finds out news, weather etc what would have been in the now defunct newspaper by going 'on-line' instead.

Am I turning into my dad?. Lol..

Comment

While sitting at the park one day you should pull out one of those old cell phones the size of a brick with the 2-foot long antenna and your newsPAPER to get a reaction!

http://www.ericgarland.co/2011/12/28...0s-cell-phone/

Comment

Originally posted by No tears in ATL View Post
            While sitting at the park one day you should pull out one of those old cell phones the size of a brick with the 2-foot long antenna and your newsPAPER to get a reaction!

http://www.ericgarland.co/2011/12/2s...0s-cell-phone/
            Regarding "sitting in the park one day".
            Around these parts, That sort of behaviour will either get you arrested or beat up, whichever comes first?.
            The 2x foot antennas may have passed, but a good old newspaper is still the norm over here.
            Infant anywhere over here, except probably London, were you to start reading an e-book outdoors, it would be either stolen , or everyone who walks past you would mumble "_____" (insert your own expletive)..

Comment

no or it would have not existed in the world or society

brightness of screen cause dry eyes.....i figured it out i would have it one day with the new tech stuff kinda sucks

Comment

deleted, realized its archive
                Last edited by Minni; 24-Sep-2014, 11:20. Reason: deleted - realized its archive
                CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X