Report negates support for Omega 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report negates support for Omega 3

"The results of the 1-year Dry Eye Assessment and Management trial found insufficient evidence to support patients taking oral omega-3 supplements to reduce the signs and symptoms of dry eye disease, according to a speaker here.

“This NEI-supported clinical trial shows that oral omega-3 is no better than placebo in relieving signs and symptoms of dry eye disease,” Penny Asbell, MD, study chair of the DREAM trial, said during Cornea Day at the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery annual meeting.

The DREAM trial is the first large-scale, real-world, double-masked, randomized, multicenter clinical trial to study the long-term effects of omega-3 supplementation for symptomatic dry eye disease. The trial included 535 patients randomized into a treatment group or a placebo group.

The active supplement group, two-thirds of the patient cohort, received a daily dose of 3,000 mg of marine-derived omega-3 fatty acid, 2,000 mg of eicosapentaenoic acid and 1,000 mg of docosahexaenoic acid. The placebo group, one-third of the patient cohort, received 5,000 mg of olive oil, according to Asbell.

Patients who received omega-3 experienced a 13.9-point mean reduction in Ocular Surface Disease Index score at 12 months compared with a 12.5-point mean reduction in OSDI score in patients who received placebo, which was not a clinically significant difference, according to Asbell.

There were no clinically significant treatment differences between the active and placebo groups for OSDI scores, Brief Ocular Discomfort Index scores, SF-36 scores, four key signs of dry eye disease, dry eye disease treatment, and serious or nonserious adverse events, Asbell said. by Robert Linnehan"

Link:

https://www.healio.com/ophthalmology...=2404801039954

I don't really care if it helps or not I take them because they are necessary for good overall health and mostly our Western diet is woefully deficient

Comment

The key sentence in that excerpt is "the placebo group, one-third of the patient cohort, received 5,000 mg of olive oil." That, to me, doesn't sound like a true placebo. It's possible that both the fish oil AND the olive oil helped (by the way, it's not just me saying this - I've read other doctor's opinions about it).
      What you need to know about computer-induced dry eye
      Dry Eye Survey
      IPL Doctors
      Probing Doctors

Comment

My understanding is: the study conclusion (unfortunately at the end):
        both the fish oil AND the olive oil helped dry eye.

well, my experience tells me: the combination of GLA + flaxseed oil is more effective than flaxseed oil alone.

I dont think such study is so objective/reliable as these participants were allowed to receive treatments.
        Last edited by MGD1701; 29-Apr-2018, 16:32.

Comment

Happen to find this interesting comments.

"Leading ophthalmologists provide their reactions to the DREAMS study findings:" provided by Dr. Alice Epitropoulos,
          Ophthalmic Surgeon, Ocular Surface Disease Expert,
          Partner/Co-Founder - Eye Center of Columbus, Clinical Asst. Professor
          https://eyewire.news/videos/leading-...gists-provide/

Most these doctors (and others) still recommend (quality) fish oil.
          Last edited by MGD1701; 28-Apr-2018, 17:00.

Comment

Fish oil is working for my dry eye, yes, it's true!

Comment

I used fish oil, good quality for few months and didn’t help my dry eyes at all! Then switched to flaxseed for a month or so and still nothing. This doesn’t mean to say it won’t help you though. I’ve also stopped warm compresses and lid scrub, just irritated my eyes no significant benefit.

Comment

Working...
              X