Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just got the Prokera procedure done yesterday...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Phillips55 View Post
    With eyelid surgery you're referring to tarsorrhaphy maybe?

Patrick I'm told my eyelid problems are threefold. One, my lower lids droop too low exposing too much of the whites of the eyes. The option is to tighten the lower lids. The other problem I have is floppy eyelids which many people with sleep apnea have, which I do. Finally I seem to have too much tissue/ fat above my upper eyelid which is pushing the eyelashes down causing the eyelashes to rub against my eyes. Again I'm told my symptoms are mild-moderate, but I may at some point try the least invasive procedure which is the lower lid tightening. Because getting a little improvement here and there can add up in the end, symptom wise.
    Interesting Phillips, I was given a new diagnoses recently of "negative cheek vector" which causes lower eyelid drooping. So I was also recommended for lower eyelid tightening and/or cheek implants. Have to see a top plastic surgeon for further advice. It's just 'one' thing extra amongst many in the multifactorial causes of dry eye.

Comment

[B]you had it done on both eyes correct? any idea why you are only seeing improvement in the right eye?[B]

No just in the right eye you're pretty much blind with the ProKera in so they only do one eye at a time that's why I am still planning on going back and get the left one

Comment

Phillips
        how are you going with your Prokera now?
        I am sure there are many on the DEZ keen to know how long the benefits will last.
        If you could post an update that would be great.
        Neil

Comment

Neilw,

Hi sorry for the delay, yes the benefits from the Prokera seem to be permanent. The first week was up and down but after that things really got better. I had it done in my right eye and now I am planning on getting the left one done because it has helped so much. Both my eyes used to be red from the dryness and irritation but now my right eye has no redness even when I wake up in the morning while the left eye is still red a lot. I still need drops, but as I said before it feels feels like there is a protective layer of moisture now in the right eye that keeps it from drying out like the left eye still does. Now my problems were due to corneal damage from Lasik, before that my eyes were functioning normally. I still stress that I don't know if this treatment is for everyone so I don't want to make it sound like this is some miracle cure-all. And if you do go through with it be prepared, having the Prokera in for 5 days was not comfortable. They have different kinds of prokera so if you do get the procedure done ask your Doctor to use Prokera Slim.(wow I'm sounding like a salesman now Anyway I wish you the best. I hope everything works out for you!

Comment

Phillips, thanks you for sharing. Your thread here led me to have a confocal, where I found out that my nerves where a mess.

So awesome that you are making progress. Everyone tells me the redness is permanent. Glad to hear there is hope.

Comment

Phillips

I had not seen your post and I am very surprised that the procedure has helped you so much. That great. I hope that her left eye has improved that the right had.

I am also a post-lasik patient and what I'm seeing, there is lately a great movement of post-lasik users here.

As I am studying a trip to perform some procedure in my eyes, I read a lot about prokera to know if something is viable for me.

Could you tell me what are the costs and how long it takes to perform any treatment?

Thanks, and good luck with your eyes dude!

Comment

Phillips
                thanks very much for the update. This sounds very encouraging. We are thinking of trying Prokera out for my wife. We have to get it imported into Australia, but it seems there could be a couple of doctors here who will help us go through the regulatory hurdles to accomplish this. We have not fully decided yet, and, if you can keep us informed of your progress, this would certainly be of help.

Thanks again
                Neil

Comment

I just got the other eye treated on Tuesday so I will report how things go. It is my hope is that it will improve things just like the right eye has but regardless it will be a good experiment to see if the prokera gives consistent results. If it is anything like what happened in the other eye it will take quite some time to tell how well it is worked, I don't know how nerves and the ocular surface heals but it was a very odd recovery the first time around it was great the first week out then I had troubles the second week and then from there on I just saw a gradual improvement over a long period of time. anyway I will just check in every now and then to let you know how it goes...

Comment

Phillips.

How does the application prokera. How long you use it?

I sent an email to Dr. Gemoules and I will treat with him after I make the lenses.

Which model did you use? How long is applied?
                    Anyway, if you can give details about the treatment!

Thanks and good luck with that!

Comment

Hi Andre,
                      sorry for the delay in replying The Prokera came off today so it's easier to type now. First time I had it in for five days and this time it was six days it seems 5 to 7 days is the norm for mild to moderate problems. I believe that they can use it up to 30 days but they change it out weekly. I believe the longer you can keep it in the better chance of success. both times I used the slim version they also have the regular and plus version. this is information I learned from the doctor and the manufacture I am not a professional however so I would encourage your Doctor to do his own research before he treats you with it. After having it done again I have to repeat that it is not a fun process, prepare yourself to be in a situation where you will have to keep your eyes closed for the very vast majority of five days.
                      I am hoping for similar results in my left eye that I had in my right and I will keep this thread updated here and there with how it goes. I wish you the best and I hope it works for you.

Comment

Thanks for the information.
                        I still stayed with some doubts.

How many hours per day you use the prokera?

You mentioned that every week they change. What they change? Have to buy a new prokera for each week of treatment?

You did the treatment in one eye at a time. I can go out and do everyday things while I'm using the prokera or have to stay in the office? Depending on the answer, I'll do both eyes at once!

I read on the site about the various types of prokera. I do not know the difference, but I saw that there are several models.

The procedure does not exist in my country, so I do not have doctors to help me here!

Thanks again.
                        I think you are the pioneer in using prokera for post-lasik

Comment

Andre,
                          Again sorry for the delay. The Prokera is placed the eye and is not removed typically for 4-7 days and can be used for up to 30 I believe. The reason they change it out is because the eye completely absorbs the membrane. The Prokera Deluxe is I believe double layered so it lasts longer in the eye. The Prokera slim has as much membrane as the regular but is much thinner. I asked to have both eyes done at the same time out and the Doctor said he had never done that before because you really cant see through the membrane and you are basically blind in one eye. Now if your making a long trip to get this done maybe you can work something out with your doctor to have both done, but you would be effectively blind for however long your Doctor decides you need them in. Here's a photo of mine after it was taken out.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2454.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	155793
                          As you can see while it is painful to keep in the eye, there isn't much to it. I know you said your from Brasil and I don't know anything about having these shipped to other countries, but you or your local Doctor might call the manufacturer and see if you can arrange something. It is simply a big hard contact. I could easily put one in and take it out myself.
                          The other good news is that it definitely is working in the left eye too. My doctor examined my eyes a week after it came out and told me that the surface of my eyes 6 months ago resembled dry chapped skin,very rough. Now they look very smooth and healthy. Again, I am not trying to be a cheerleader for Prokera or any other dry eye treatment, but I personally have had great results with this and it's possible it may help others with similar issues.

Comment

Hey Phillips, is the prokera still doing good things for you? Is it permanent? I am seriously thinking about getting it I am a post lasik dry eye sufferer since I was 18 that was 8+ years ago :-(

Comment

Originally posted by KaylaR View Post
                              Hey Phillips, is the prokera still doing good things for you? Is it permanent? I am seriously thinking about getting it I am a post lasik dry eye sufferer since I was 18 that was 8+ years ago :-(
                              I also think Prokera sounds wonderful - now if only there were something as permanent for blocked meiobians!

Also wondering how Prokera compares side-by-side with results of:
                              (1) FreshKote consistently applied
                              (2) RefreshPlus ditto
                              (3) HyloGel ditto

This last Q may be silly, like comparing apples & oranges I suppose...
                              CHEERIO! HELIO! Dry Eye Minni

sigpic

Comment

Hi Folks sorry about not being on the boards as much. Yes it has still been a great experience. No regression, the effects seem to be permanent. I'll re-post a response I sent from a PM as I think it might help with some of your questions:
                                Hi,

My problems too all stem from Lasik. I have tried every treatment under the sun and Prokera has been like a miracle for me. I want to stress that it may not work for everyone, but it was designed for corneal damage. Lasik is basically corneal damage so I think of all the people with dry eye out there Lasik sufferers do have the best odds of success. You have to keep it in your eye for 5-7 days(the longer the better) and it is not a fun experience. But I dont think there is any real risk in the procedure itself. It's basically a stem cell coated hard contact. Any Amniotic Membrane Transplant would I think give similar results, but I chose Prokera because it does not have to be sewn onto the eye so it is a minor procedure. If you try Prokera and it is too uncomfortable i would look into getting Amniotic membrane sewn onto the eye. It's not as gruesome as it sounds, it's just a small nylon stitch that keeps the membrane in place. The convenient thing about Prokera is that the membrane is attached the contact but the contact is what makes it so uncomfortable to keep in. If I ever have to have to do it again, (which, thank God looks like I don't) I may choose to have it sewn in place because I've read it's a far more comfortable procedure. Either way I'd look into it because like I said the results have been awesome. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X