Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

autologous serum users: how long between getting blood drawn and getting your drops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• autologous serum users: how long between getting blood drawn and getting your drops?

I'm just curious... for those of you who currently use autologous serum drops, or have used it in the past, how long after getting your blood drawn did you typically have to wait to get your drops?

Edit: I just found out the pharmacy puts them in the freezer after making them... err... should have thought of that possibility myself... feeling a bit sheepish for worrying about it now

Anyhow, I still have one more question related to serum drops...

How much blood do you guys get drawn at a time? The first time I went they took 9 vials (1.5 oz or 45 ml) of blood... this time, I asked if they could take more, and they refused, insisting that 9 vials is the most they can take at one time... this is enormously annoying, as this time around, I will be using 100% serum as my exclusive drop (plus Restasis as usual of course) so the blood won't last nearly as long... I don't want to be going every 2 weeks to get my frigging blood drawn... why oh why can't they just draw MORE blood??

I've found guidelines for blood donation where donors can give 250ml every 8 weeks...called our local blood donor clinic this morning, and they take almost 2 cups (500ml) at a time) so why on earth wouldn't the lab accommodate my request to take 100-200 ml of blood at once, thus saving me the trouble of going back all the time????

I am totally exasperated... don't get me wrong, I was the picture of cheerfulness at the lab, as I don't want to peeve anyone off and make them less receptive to my requests... but seriously... this is SO incredibly annoying...
    Last edited by SAAG; 03-Jun-2010, 10:31.

Haha... replying to my own thread...

I left a message for the lab today asking them to look into the possibility of drawing more blood next time... yesterday, the regular staff were off sick... but when called at home, they still told the relief person that 9 vials was the max...

Hopefully, it was all just a misunderstanding and they will agree to take more next time...

Comment

doot da doo da dooooo... just replying to my own thread again... don't mind me...

Anyhow, my problem is solved... the regular lab tech at the lab just called me back... said they'd never had a patient like me who was using 100% serum... but they called the pharmacy to verify it, and once they found out that I am so err... unique haha... they will take out as much blood as I want next time. So Yay! Problem solved! I am a VERY happy girl right now!

I see my GP next week, so I'll just double check with her about stuff like whether or not we need to monitor me for anemia going forward... don't want to cause other problems by using a lot more serum...

Comment

Hi Saag

Re Chat with self - sorry to intrude! I've posted stuff already about how serum production works in the UK. They take general health into account and also weight / height etc. Before blood is drawn, a cell count is done to check for anaemia.

It's considered safe to take up to 470 ml (almost one pint) of blood but I only give about half that. My blood count is fine now but I'm on the slim side plus I've been iron deficient in the past. (Constantly tired - not nice).

It can take anything from 3- 6 weeks for the tests to be done and then made into eye drops.

You don't want this to cause more problems - so make sure you take plenty of iron rich foods and Vitamin B12.

Comment

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
          Hi Saag

Re Chat with self - sorry to intrude! ...

It can take anything from 3- 6 weeks for the tests to be done and then made into eye drops.

...You don't want this to cause more problems - so make sure you take plenty of iron rich foods and Vitamin B12.
          I'm glad for the intrusion into my somewhat accidental chat with myself! lol

That's interesting that they take 3-6 weeks... they must freeze it while they're running all of those tests then... you really have to be on the ball then about making sure you have enough serum left at home to last you until they can make another batch for you... ie. you can't go in a few days before you run out and expect to get resupplied...

I will definitely be making a major effort to include iron-rich foods more in my diet... iron supplements are such a nuisance, so I'd like to not get to the point of needing them... hated taking them when I was pregnant! Hopefully I get enough of everything else in my diet and multivitamin to keep everything ok!

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
            I'm glad for the intrusion into my somewhat accidental chat with myself! lol )
            You only have accidental chats with yourself? I actually schedule serious debates.

Your point about being prepared; I do have to be aware of how many vials I have left so another batch can be ordered. My experience of having to wait 6 weeks was atypical but I had things organised ahead of time so it didn't affect me at all.

Apparently watercress is one of the best things one can eat for iron stores. This is the advice of the doctor who sorts out the serum (he isn't an eye doctor).

Comment

RE: autologous serum drops in Canada

I had no blood work or tests prior to getting serum drops made. Also, I don't think a pharmacy will want to hold/store your serum for 3-6 weeks until test results come back.

I had my ophthalmologist's prescription for autologous serum drops (for the lab and the pharmacy) and I got my drops in a couple of hours (waited to be called for the blood draw, lab spun the blood, walked the serum downstairs to the pharmacy, they bottled it, and voila!)

Comment

This is what happens in the UK - it's highly regulated.

http://www.nhsbt.nhs.uk/tissueservic...21_10_2008.pdf

Comment

I got my blood taken out at the Vissum Center in Alicante, Spain and I picked up the serum an hour later. They gave me 9 vials.
                  Last edited by Ariel; 05-Jun-2010, 04:16.

Comment

Working...
                  X