Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Autologous serum users: Recommended cold pack?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autologous serum users: Recommended cold pack?

Do any serum drop users have a product they recommend for keeping serum drops chilled on the go or while traveling - that will get cold enough and stay cold long enough for them?

I know some dry eye shop customers use the insulated pouch with the little disposable freezer packs for serum but I don't know how long it lasts them. I'd like to get better information for a serum user who will be traveling.

Thanks for any info!
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

I use http://www.thermos.com/product_detai...2&CatCode=FOOD
    and this (cut to fit inside the Thermos): http://www.cryopak.com/flexible-ice-...sius-ice-pack/
    I generally keep my Thermos in the freezer, lid off, with the cut ice pack inside and when I need it, it's ready to go. The Ice Blanket was big enough that I have more than one cut pack that fits into the Thermos and I carry an extra in a plastic baggie so that I can throw it in whatever freezer is available, on a plane or whatever so that I can switch a melted one out for a frozen one if needed.

I've flown down to CA with my Thermos and at one airport, they wanted to peek inside my Thermos but coming home, they didn't even ask to look.
    If I'm carrying only one bottle of drops, I throw a shot glass in the Thermos (w/ice packs) but if I need more than one bottle or put other drops inside, I use a tiny ziplock-style bag to protect from condensation (not necessary but my drops have a paper label and just in case, I like to maintain the integrity of the label).

My mom has traveled as far as New Zealand with medication that required refrigeration / freezing and said the airlines are very accommodating about allowing you to store things in their refrigerated space, which is why I like having an extra ice pack -- I can keep my drops with me, give them the extra ice pack and when one ice pack is melted, I've got a fresh one waiting. The Thermos company says the Thermos will keep things cold for up to 9 hours and that's without the extra ice pack.

I've actually frozen my drops keeping it in the Thermos so now when I use it, I wrap the drops I'm using in a scrap from an old dishtowel and that seems to prevent freezing in that bottle while keeping an extra bottle frozen or near frozen.

I looked at some other options including the Frio Insulated Case https://frioinsulincoolingcase.com/e...629a566e7a8fcf but my dad wasn't sure it would keep my drops cool enough because serum needs to be kept colder than insulin and I was a little wary of the evaporation factor / needing it to be in contact with air.

The Thermos fits well in my carryon & my purse (mid-to-large size but not gigantic). When I'm running around town for short trips, etc, I rely on regular preservative-free drops for convenience and tend to use the Thermos when I'll be out all day or am traveling. We're considering a trip this summer that will require at least 16 hours of travel time before we arrive at our destination and I feel good about using the Thermos.

When I was researching options, I found some interesting things on Amazon (search medication cooling or refrigeration) but most were a lot larger than the vacuum-sealed Thermos.

Comment

That's fantastic - I'm going to try this for our trip later this year! Thanks for posting the links!

Comment

Working...
      X