Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those who have been on 100% serum tears...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For those who have been on 100% serum tears...

Does 100% serum deliver better results than 50% serum? Did you notice any side effects with a higher concentration of serum (burning, redness)?

I am on 50% right now. It has only been a week or so, and I realize these take time to work. Sometimes I wonder if my eyes are so bad that I need something stronger.

No erosions, just bone dry with inflammation and a "just-took-a-dip-in-the-Dead-Sea-with-eyes-wide-open" feeling at the end of the day.

The university med center I went to had a certain formulation of my autologous serum mixed with normal saline when I used serum tears. I never knew what the actual percent of each drop was serum but it had that yellowish serum look to it. I also tried platelet rich plasma serum tears where they leave the platelets from my blood in the serum because supposedly platelets have a mixture of healing properties in them such as growth factors and stem cells. I tried both kinds of them for several months and never got any improvement of dry eye symptoms. For me, even after stopping them, my eyes had a lot of bubbly residue along the lower lid line (saponification) because the serum is something that can increase the bacteria in the eyes (and worsen mgd). I used minocycline 100 mg 2X day for a few months after, which made me feel terrible physically, but it got rid of the residue in my eyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jade View Post
      The university med center I went to had a certain formulation of my autologous serum mixed with normal saline when I used serum tears. I never knew what the actual percent of each drop was serum but it had that yellowish serum look to it. I also tried platelet rich plasma serum tears where they leave the platelets from my blood in the serum because supposedly platelets have a mixture of healing properties in them such as growth factors and stem cells. I tried both kinds of them for several months and never got any improvement of dry eye symptoms. For me, even after stopping them, my eyes had a lot of bubbly residue along the lower lid line (saponification) because the serum is something that can increase the bacteria in the eyes (and worsen mgd). I used minocycline 100 mg 2X day for a few months after, which made me feel terrible physically, but it got rid of the residue in my eyes.

Oh, Dear, Jade. I am sorry to hear about your poor experience with them. Gosh, I hope this doesn't happen to me. Had no idea about the increased bacteria thing...supposedly I don't have MGD (or at least, if I do, it's not that detectable) and I sure I don't want to bring anything else on!!

Comment

Jade---serum can worsen MGD? or u sure??? i ask cause i hae sjogrens and bad mgd..that is the last thing i need.i tried them last year for 12 weeks..didnt feelany dif.. iended up using reg drops with in min of serum... how do they worsen mgd do u know? just curious..thanks!!!!
        Jenny

Comment

Working...
        X