X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi again Steve,
    Originally posted by steveyez View Post
    ( i use vismed gel ) not long afterwards and that rebalances things."
    Quick question: have you tried Refresh Celluvisic? If so, how does Vismed gel compare to the former? I have Refresh Celluvisic and would have to order Vismed online so I'm just wondering? Thanks! ~Gerri

Comment

Hi DryLonder

My story is pretty much the same as Lizlou put
      "No, I got PRP serum in Alicante, Spain. I asked about getting it on the NHS but it would have taken a long time (I was told up to a year to get approval)."

For me i would love to be able to get PRP in England - Ive been prescribed Autologous Serum by my NHS opthamologist but unfortunately the NHS will not fund Autlogous Serum in Warwickshire or the West Midlands for anyone new since the end of 2012

If you hear of anyway of getting PRP in England then please let me know

Best Regards
      Steve

Comment

Hi Gerry

Yes I've tried Refresh Celluvisc and for me Vismed and Vismed Gel work better - you can get them all on the NHS in England

Best Regards
        Steve

Comment

Steve,
          you can get them all on the NHS in England
          Thanks for response. I live in the upper midwest (USA) where I get Refresh Celluvisic from my local store but I'd have to order Vismed Gel from Amazon. No problem, though. I can do that easily. On another note, from the threads above, I'm realizing there is a different between autologous serum tears and PRP serum(?). A quick search on the internet seems to confirm this difference. Which of the two do you use? If you use (or have used) autologous serum (which is what I'm using), did you use/are you using 100% serum or less. Mine is 20% and I've definitely felt some improvement the two weeks I've been on it. But I would like to try 100% when my current supply runs out. Thanks. ~Gerri

Comment

Hi Gerri

You're right there is a difference - i use PRP ( Platelet Rich Plasma ) purely because i live in England and even though i was prescribed Autologous Serum via the NHS, the local area i live in England does not fund Autologous Serum. The cost difference is £6000 per year for Autologous Serum as opposed to £600 for PRP. But i have to pay for flights to Alicante in Spain every 3 months but Alicante is a nice place and always sunny and the PRP is doing me a lot of good ;-)

My opthamologist in Birmingham is really pushing for the NHS to sort out the postcode lottery we have in England where some people in certain areas of England get Autologous Serum free via the NHS and people in other areas with the same needs dont get Autologous Serum free via the NHS.

All the best with the Autologous Serum
            Best Regards
            Steve

Comment

I'll post this once then its off my chest - its so ludicrous its like a scene from Catch 22

Just over a year ago i got turned down for Individual Funding by NHS South Warwickshire Clinical Commissioning Group based in Warwick, England

I appealed and was told I was not eligible for NHS funding for Autologous Serum because i was not "unique" because they already funded someone else for Autologous Serum in the area and therefore i was not unique and was not entitled for funding!

It was acknowledged that I needed Autologous Serum and had been properly prescribed it by a suitable NHS official but i still did not fit the unique criteria and the door was firmly shut on me.

If it wasnt so important i would have asked the question which came first the chicken or the egg ;-)

Comment

Hi Steve,
                It was acknowledged that I needed Autologous Serum and had been properly prescribed it by a suitable NHS official but i still did not fit the unique criteria and the door was firmly shut on me.
                I'm very sorry to read this.
                Neal Matthews, who's also posted on this site, makes his own serum because what is most available in the US compounding pharmacies is 20% serum. He believes the saline solution causes a lot of the burning side effects. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kmTTfGFQgQ

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...-saved-my-eyes

I am not confident about making my own serum, though. So I'm paying $295 for a three month supply of 20% serum. My insurance does not cover this but I am able to use my pre-tax money (through what is known here as a Flexible Spending Account-FSA) to buy my serum. In this regard, I am very lucky. Had I developed the very severe problems I've had the last year some 2-3 years ago, I would have lost my job. Then I'd really be in terrible trouble. I really hope the NHS issues is sorted out and you can get your AS without having to take all the trouble. Thanks again for sharing. ~Gerri

Comment

Hi Steve, How have you been? It would be great to hear about your progress with PRP. After travelling to Chicago several times to get my serum compounded there, I resorted to making my own some time last year, then stopped. I'm thinking of going back to making my own serum again as my eyes have been quite irritated lately. I would love to hear how your eyes are doing!

Comment

Working...
                  X