Autologous Blood Serum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autologous Blood Serum

I'm curious how many use these drops and if it helps. My Doctor has prescribed them but I'm hesitant..

This thread might help:
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ogus-Serum-101

I'm a huge fan of serum drops. SAAG has been on them for quite some time too, she's on 100%.

Any specific questions?

Comment

Originally posted by PotatoCakes View Post
      This thread might help:
      http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showt...ogus-Serum-101

I'm a huge fan of serum drops. SAAG has been on them for quite some time too, she's on 100%.

Any specific questions?
      Thank you very much Potato Cakes. I have MGD with severe dry eye and blepharitis. Is it possible these drops will help cure these problems or do they just have the potential to make my eyes feel better for longer than what I use now? (Hylo). Even that would be worth it since the Hylo provides only very short term relief. My hesitancy is that I'm not very good at giving blood.

Comment

Serum drops are not very lubricating. It's best to think of them more as a treatment. I'm on 100 percent. It helps the ocular surface but won't help the MGD.. Restasis and doxy are best for that. I also take NAC which helps some too. If your doctor is letting you try them, you have nothing to lose right? It's not going to make you worse.

Good luck

Comment

Thanks Faith...I've been on restasis for about 2 years and don't think it works anymore. Just started a slow release doxy about 2 months ago and don't notice any difference..maybe that will take more time. I don't know what NAC is and don't know what you mean by helping the ocular surface. You're right about nothing to lose so I guess I'll just grin and bare the blood giving thing. I guess for me it will be about every 3 months.

Comment

They won't cure you, sadly. What they will do is help repair some of the damage to your eye that you may have. Do to my dry eye, I had a number of corneal abrasions, the serum drops repaired those abrasions, which can help with pain. I do find them fairly lubricating but not a lasting kind of lubrication. They lack oil so will evaporate just like your regular tears & less viscous drops without the lipid layer.

I'm terrified of needles and it was a tough call for me to do the drops but I've been on them for a couple of years now and it was one of the best decisions I made. I get a draw approximately every 9-12 weeks. The nurse and staff at the place that makes my drops, know me well and besides the actual draw, I actually look forward to my visit. I know that the drops help me so much that the draw isn't so bad. The nurse that does it, knows how afraid I am and exactly which arm has better veins (my fear makes them collapse often). She knows how to keep me distracted from the second I walk in to the second she's done.

Tips to make the draw easier:
            - Drink LOTS of water for a few days prior to your draw, esp the day of. Being well-hydrated will make your draw less painful AND give you more serum.
            - Tell the person doing the draw how afraid you are. In fact, let them know when you make the appointment AND re-iterate at the appt. That way they know to handle you with kid gloves. There are no guarantees but 98% of the times I've had IVs put in or blood drawn, as an adult, letting them know beforehand usually got me the nurse or doctor who was best with needles. I let them know that my veins frequently collapse and that I'm known to hyperventilate and get hysterical and that I have had enough bad experiences that left me with multiple hematomas (bruises) from misses that they know I'm a difficult draw. They have a vested interest in making the experience as pleasant as possible for you. Trust me, no one likes a hysterical patient
            - Bring a security blanket. For me, that's a water bottle. Knowing that I'm well-hydrated makes the draw easier and having my water bottle close by gives me strength. Before I knew about the hydration factor (thanks to the nurse that does my serum draws), I used to bring a stuffed animal with me. Sure, it's a little weird for an adult to be toting around a stuffed animal but if I get hysterical during the draw and have to come back, isn't that worse? Wear your favorite shirt or shoes, whatever makes you feel stronger. The little things do matter.
            - Remind yourself why you are doing it. Serum drops REALLY help me. If they help you as much, the relief will be worth the draw.
            - Pick something to reward yourself after the draw. Maybe it's ice cream at 10 in the morning. Maybe it's splurging on a special coffee drink or a new pair of shoes. Probably not a good idea to reward yourself after every single draw because it could get expensive depending on your reward but for the first few draws, until you get the hang of it and become more comfortable, reward yourself for a job well-done.
            - I'm guessing you are a guy based on your name but if you're female, getting a blood draw right before your period can be more painful than other times of the month so for women that are particularly nervous about draws, avoid PMS time.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Hello all, please update regarding your serum experience. I don't believe mine are 100% serum (folks at the pharmacy could not give me that information when I asked.) But I began using a week ago to help with burning and stinging from steroids. I guess I expected a bigger 'miracle' as my eyes feel even drier and sting quite a bit. Still, I have 3 months worth of serum: I was advised to use each vial for two days. Since I can't even work due to the dry eyes, I'm just sitting at home using the serum and waiting for a miracle. Is it at all possible for the eyes to feel worse before they feel better? I'm thinking of getting something else to use along. Currently, I only used Refresh Celluvisiv or SOOTHE Lubricant Eye Drops, Preservative Free by Bausch and Lomb. Before steroids messed up my eyes, these dropts were sufficient. Now I need something more. Thanks. ~Gerri

Comment

I use 100 percent serum as much as I can. It's more of a treatment drop than immediate relief. I also am on fml with no problems but am having a lid flare right now . The serum helps "heal" damage on the ocular surface but won't help mgd. Mgd is my main problem so that's why it doesn't help a whole lot but I keep using them. I live in Canada though where they are a hell of a lot less expensive. A year supply here is 200.00.
                Do you use restasis? Do you have any acne or rosacea?

Comment

Faith, hi! Thanks for writing. I had used Restasis for about two years when I developed a problem with FML. Since then, Restasis irritates my eyes terribly. I am paying $295 for a three month supply of serum so yours sounds quite cheap compared to mine. How long have you used the serum? MGD is my problem too but I do have irritated spots on my conjunctiva (inside the eyelid and on the sclera) and I just can't find a solution to this.

Comment

Originally posted by Faith1989 View Post
                    I use 100 percent serum as much as I can. It's more of a treatment drop than immediate relief. I also am on fml with no problems but am having a lid flare right now . The serum helps "heal" damage on the ocular surface but won't help mgd. Mgd is my main problem so that's why it doesn't help a whole lot but I keep using them. I live in Canada though where they are a hell of a lot less expensive. A year supply here is 200.00.
                    Do you use restasis? Do you have any acne or rosacea?
                    Wow..that's amazing Faith. I live in Canada as well and including the cost of drawing blood I paid $177 for 12 3ml vials of 20% which lasts about 8 weeks at 4 times a day. At 100% serum I can't see how your math works, but if you live in the Toronto area I sure would like to know where you get such an unbelievable deal.

Comment

Working...
                    X