Ques about Blood Serum Drops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ques about Blood Serum Drops

I just picked up my first batch of serum drops from Mass Eye and Ear, Boston MA. The cost, $315 for a 3 month supply. Their pharmacy does not accept any form of insurance. Is this normal?? I was wondering if there are any other labs in Massachusetts that might be less expensive. My husband has to take a day off from work to bring me into Boston for the blood work. I can't fathom it costs this much to centrifuge some blood and add cheap saline to it. Any thoughts or advice? I'm just beyond myself with the cost of artificial tears, prxs, and now this?

I don't know if you have access to a flexible savings account (for healthcare expenses) through your job or your husband's but with a letter from my doctor, I've been able to use that.

Comment

That's typical. You can get a copy of the receipt and send it to your insurance and it should apply towards your deductible. But honestly, that is weird they gave you a 3 month supply. You must have had to draw A LOT of blood.

Comment

Have you tried through a public provider? In Ausralia and New Zealand they are produced free by the national blood service, you just need an opthamologist to sign the forms.

Comment

I tried contacting another hospital in regards to other possible pharmacies/labs in Massachusetts that make serum tears but they would only recommend a pharmacy in California. Certainly seemed strange to me.

Comment

My doctor also prx. Lotemax 1 drop 2 times per week. He explained it would help keep the nerves growing correctly while using the serum drops (I have corneal neuralgia, severe dry eye, MGD). I've had a bad reaction to Lotemax in the past but I figured it's so infrequently that it probably wouldn't bother me. I used my 1st drop yesterday and my eyes have been miserable since. It could just be a flare up though. It's just so frustrating. My anxiety has been overwhelming me the last few weeks. I do take medication for it but nothing has ever put me down like this eye disorder. Setting timers and writing notes so I remember when I have to use the serum, change the bottles, use the Lotemax. Then there's the fun of carrying a thermos around if I go anywhere to keep the serum cold. Believe it or not I'm actually known for my upbeat personality but I sometimes feel like Robin Williams must have. I've been thru this enough to know I just have to keep telling myself, there's a good day coming, just wait for it. But today, I'm somewhere between wanting to cry endlessly or scream in agony.
            Last edited by buntbean; 22-Feb-2015, 06:25. Reason: repeat

Comment

I havent heard anything about serum drops causing the nerves to grow incorrectly. Is that to do with corneal neuralgia?
              I have also had extreme anxiety and stress, and ive started to notice possible arthritic and circulation problems, so my new years resolution was to try and not let worry about my eyes lead to additional health problems. Its hard but i have improved my anxiety just by being aware of it. I think the decisive moment was when my dad who has arthritis was telling me about some truly terrible things that can happen with arthritis of the spine, and thats when i decided i cant let my eye problem cause additional problems.

Comment

I do believe it has something to do with the neuralgia but I'm really not sure.
                I recently tried azithromycin for the MGD but I lost 9lbs in 8 weeks from being so ill. I guess starting these new things have brought my fears to the front and the anxiety and depression have gotten the best of me. I'm trying to stay active but the anxiety feels like an ocean wave that just pulls me under unexpectedly. I did go sliding with my husband and daughter today and that did help. Hopefully this too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by grandsporta View Post
                  That's typical. You can get a copy of the receipt and send it to your insurance and it should apply towards your deductible. But honestly, that is weird they gave you a 3 month supply. You must have had to draw A LOT of blood.
                  I was on serum drops for years, and it was standard here to draw a 3 month supply at a time. My instructions were to keep it frozen until ready to use, then thaw the bottle I was going to be using. This is much more convenient for the patient compared to going in for more frequent blood draws. And I was on 100% serum too, so I'd get about 113-120ml of blood taken out at a time (if memory serves me correctly... would have to look back through my old posts to be 100% sure). In any case, this really isn't that much blood - you can get way more than that taken out if you donate blood for example.

Comment

I had 6 months supply made, and they told me it was half of what a normal blood donation is.

Comment

Hello guys. I understand this is an old thread. I really need an update on how you guys are doing.

I am suffering from severe post Lasik corneal neuralgia for last 2 years and 4 months. none of the lubricating eye drops work for me as there there is no dryness in my eyes. My TBUT has always been greater than 10 secs. Eyes look perfectly normal. long story short. My symptoms are entirely due to nerve regeneration issue. I am on 100% serum 4 times a day since last 5 months with no improvement. Have also tried plugs in the past. Doctors here dont believe sclerals will help as the problem is nerves sending wrong signals/abnormal sensations to brain. My doctor wants me to start on steroids and then continue low dose steroid for at least 2-3 years. Sounds crazy to me actually. Have also consulted neurologist and taken medicines like gabapendtin but they dont help.

I had a lot of pain for 6-7 months post Lasik and lot of burning for next 1 year. What I experience these days are unbearable dryness/dysaesthesia sensation. Not a lot of pain/burning. Has anyone experienced anything similar ? and does this ever get better ? Luckily I work in a govt job and they have given me comfort level, so I only have to make phone calls during a day (which is also difficult on many days as I cant even sit with the unbearable sensations). I am not even able to think about getting married in this condtion. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. I live in India and things like Lacosamide are not available here.

Comment

Hi
                        unfortunately nothing has worked for me. I just wear air pocket glasses all the time, and try stay out of the sun and wind. I don't have a normal life anymore. Serum drops didn't help, they were the best drops I tried though, nice and therapeutic, they felt good.

Comment

I've had corneal neuralgia for 12 years now. The serum tears have definitely helped me reduce the amount of artificial tears I use and have calmed my pain to some degree. I also have severe MGD so that's always complicating things and that in and of itself can make my eyes feel miserable. I also do not produce any tears of my own. I'm not sure what caused my neuralgia. I was having IPL on my face for rosacea and my last treatment she removed the glasses to get at my nose better. I just recently had 1 treatment of IPL for my MGD. No good results yet but it certainly does scare me. I don't use steroids because I'm allergic to BAC preservative.

Comment

I am new to serum tears, but they really help with the redness and my eyes feel so much better. They also reduced the amount of eye drops I use. 
                            Have a great day!

Comment

buntbean How long have you been using serum ? are you using 100%, 50% or 20% ? and are you using it with saline ?

Comment

Working...
                              X