Serum Tears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serum Tears

Hi All, I just joined this today. I've been really really suffering from MGD for about 10 years but since PRK 4 years ago (3rd time in left) I'm awful. I just started serum tears (4x day I think 20% or so). Can anyone give me their take on serum tears? How long to start working, does it help at all, or am I just spending a ton of money and lab time drawing and transporting blood?!
    thanks
    Marianne

Hey MarianneB,
    How do your eyes feel today.

Comment

They work for some but it does take time. I did it for about 9 months. It helped initially because I was having "super-flares" and needed some moisture in my eyes, because I couldn't take any drops, but it lost effect after awhile. I paid about $180 cash for each draw, plus $45 office charge, and that would last me a few months (depending on the amount of blood serum they could get).

It got expensive quick. It helped me short term but really wasn't viable long term. Your mileage may vary, though. I would give it 6 months, and if you don't see a difference by then, you're just buying really expensive drops. You'll just have to experiment, unfortunately, which I know can be frustrating for the wallet.

Comment

Hi No Tears in ATL
        ok thanks for the input. What % were you using and why? I'm wondering about the 20% and maybe whether I need to go up. Also, serum tears aren't even supposed to be used for moisture, right? It's to heal the surface so that OTC can work better? I'm confused.
        thanks!

Comment

I have a lacrisert in so I'm a bit better but eye is blurry....ugh.

Comment

I would agree with your assessment MarianneB. The serum drops are not intended to moisturize but rather, as I understand it, to supply some of the nutrients such as stem cells to the ocular surface that keep it healthy. Since I have been on serum drops twice daily (I use 50%) I have never had anyone tell me that I have dry spots on my corneas. Corneal damage is the biggest threat to your ocular health arising from dry eye and that alone is enough to keep me using it daily, probably for the rest of my life.....F/G

Comment

Mariane how do your eyes feel today?

Comment

Serum tears never helped my MGD, but I didn't really have corneal issues so maybe that's why they didn't help. Doxy, restasis, and a strict paleo cleansing diet has kept me going. I need steroids 2-3 times per week as well. I get checked regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by MarianneB View Post
                  Hi No Tears in ATL
                  ok thanks for the input. What % were you using and why? I'm wondering about the 20% and maybe whether I need to go up. Also, serum tears aren't even supposed to be used for moisture, right? It's to heal the surface so that OTC can work better? I'm confused.
                  thanks!
                  Not really, but at that point my doctors and I were willing to try anything. Some people use saline here and there for temporary relief, but I couldn't even tolerate that, so I guess serum tears for me would have been the equivalent. It does dissipate quickly, yes.

I used 50%, and I think you can get 75% or even 100%, but I don't know of any additional benefits of higher concentrations. If you get the higher %, you'll need more serum, and therefore you'll end up with fewer drops, because they can only get so much serum from each blood draw at a time. So you could be spending more money over time, fyi.

Comment

Hi farmgirl, you make a lot of sense here..thanks for the information! I went to Dr yesterday after being on serum tears for a month and my evaporative rate was up to a 9 and 10 (left/right) when last month it was 3 and 4! she said eyes looked better than she's seen them in awhile and I don't have inflammation anymore either (so no AVasite or Lotemax for me this time)
                    Marianne

Comment

Working...
                    X