This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ahhhhh....

Thanks Diana! That makes more sense. Would you mind pm'ing me with the name of the lab where yours are made and a contact name? I think I am going to ask my friend if he'd be willing to speak with someone who's been doing this longer. A few vials every 3-4 months is a lot more affordable than every few weeks. Never mind the time off from work, etc.

Comment

The clinic drew 12 vials of my blood, admitting they were taking extra. They then did the spin or what it is they do and gave me a icepack of my "blood" to take to the compounding pharmacy. I gave the pharmacist the stuff and he did something that took an hour or so and I got 3 small bottles of serum drops. Probably enough to last me 3 months. I froze two and am working out of one I keep in the frig.

He still has enough of my blood product for another 3 month supply if I so desire. After 6 months, the blood and blood products are thrown out. My first impression is that Natalie's guy is doing a lot of extra work "every 2 weeks."

BTW, I was in such a hurry that day, I didn't find out what eyedrops were used in the mixture. It was in the Detroit area and toward the end of a 10 hour day and the pharmacy was closing. I felt the door hit me when I left.

My first impression of the drops are that they are soothing and feel good. I will not know if there is a lasting, or permanent type cure until after a few months. With both my Schirmer's at zero, I'm doubting any lasting results. I doubt I'd keep up with the process after one good trial. We;ll see. Lucy

P.S. Diana, no chance of a birth here, but what about you? Is 3 enough?
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thank you both...

Lucy and Diana for the messages and PM. I definitely think the local lab is being overly cautious based on what you told me and am going to ask the compounding pharmacist to speak with Diana's "people".

Just a matter of a lack of experience, I'm sure.

If I could get the autologus serum drops somewhere in the range of reasonably affordable then it's worth a try, particularly before next winter.

Good luck Lucy.

Comment

Well, Lucy, I would say that twelve vials (or as I tend to think of them, "viles") of blood represent a pretty strong commitment to improving the health of your eyes.
          Mary, I loved it when I ask my PA if she knew what "autologous serum drops" were. (I can pronounce it correctly, because I made sure I listened.) and she looked at me and I said, "well, do you?" She told me that she could just about figure it out with the information I have her. I like her a lot, but she did not know what Sjogrens Syndrome was either. She does now.

I have to have so much blood drawn for SS, that I'm actually craving those needles after a length of time. I'm also taking nutrients by vein, so I'm getting close to werewolf status. Keep your necks covered, all. Lucy

P.S. Those of you who are especially friendly to me, I will oblige and PM you the pharmacist's name if you like. I would love to put it on here, but it wouldn't be good.
          Last edited by Lucy; 19-Jun-2008, 20:23. Reason: add P.S.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

hoping for you

Lucy,

I'm sorry you had such an ordeal getting these drops. And, depressingly, we know what it is like to have hope and then experience yet another clueless doctor, nurse, tech.

I don't understand why, if they had the blood already, they didn't make all the drops and send you home with a 6-month supply in the first place. What is the point in making you drive all the way down there to get more?

I do hope you get some relief and improvement with these drops. If you do, maybe you can buy some chemistry equipment, get a friend to draw your blood, and make them yourself.

Teri

Comment

I don't understand why, if they had the blood already, they didn't make all the drops and send you home with a 6-month supply in the first place. What is the point in making you drive all the way down there to get more?
              Teri, actually they have my blood product frozen at the pharmacy. If I want another batch when my current stash is finished, I just have to call him and he'll make up a 3 month batch and mail it to me in a refrigerated container. All blood products are discarded at 6 months post-draw.

By the end of 6 months, or even 3 months, I'll have a good idea if I have any lasting effect from the serum drops. Only then would it be worth it to keep this plan up! After only a week or so, I know the drops feel good but certainly no healing properties as of yet. I'm thinking there won't be, but I could be wrong. Lucy

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Lucy

I wish you every success with this lastest endeavour. I just hope that you get some relief.

Your posts here are always inspirational, supportive and informative. If anyone deserves a break - you do.

Warm regards as always

Ian

Comment

I'm watching for your results on this Luce. You've always been my trailblazer. If it works for you, I just might try it. My dry eyes are in a pretty good place right now but I've been intrigued by autologous serum drops for a long time.
                  ~Ethel
                  Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

but I've been intrigued by autologous serum drops for a long time.
                    Well, I can share my "funny pharmacist" with you. He's very close to where you live. First, you'll need lots of blood if you try this. I thought I was drained dry with 12 vials.

I'm away for a little gambling junket to Nevada in a couple of days and I'm not even trying to take my precious serum tears with me. They have to be kept refrigerated and it'll be near 100 degrees where I'll be. I will give more detail, but I want to have been on them for some time before I do.
                    Luce

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                    X