X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Serum Drop - Problem w/ Red Blood Cells

Hello,

I'm a new user. I ran across your site while researching my specific problem. My eye doc prescribed serum eye drops for me to try for my ongoing dry eye issue (i've had my ducts cauterized four times - they kept reopening - and that helped for a while but the dryness is back again). So, I had my blood drawn and headed to the pharmacy here in Atlanta. They called me about two hours later to tell me that my red blood cells broke down during the spinning and that I'd have to try again. They think it is due to dehydration (which may be my problem entirely I guess). Has anyone else had this problem? My eye doctor told me to call my primary care physician and make an appt to see him and tell him what happened which I will do today. FYI - I also have been diagnosed with Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Any thoughts or experiences appreciated. This was my last hope.

Mark

Originally posted by ATLMark View Post
    So, I had my blood drawn and headed to the pharmacy here in Atlanta. They called me about two hours later to tell me that my red blood cells broke down during the spinning and that I'd have to try again. They think it is due to dehydration (which may be my problem entirely I guess).
    I posed this question to a doctor with extensive experience with serum and this was the reply: "NO, it was due to mishandling of the tube or an excessive delay between the blood draw and the spin-down. Ideally the blood should be spun down in less than 30 minutes after being drawn."
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Re: Problem w/ Red Blood Cells

Thank you very much! That makes perfect sense. When I arrived to the pharmacy they told me there was one person in front of me so I'd have to return in 4 hours to pick up my drops. It sounds like they waited too long to spin my blood. You think they'd know this. I will be certain I'm the only person there for this procedure before I have my blood drawn. Thanks again Rebecca. This helps so much.

Comment

Working...
      X