Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Advice! Has Anyone Tried Using Autologous Serum Eyedrops?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice! Has Anyone Tried Using Autologous Serum Eyedrops?

Hi,

I have a very severe dry disorder due to underlying autoimmune diseases (lupus and sjogren's). According to my eye doctor, 70 to 80% of my tears glands have been destroyed. My doctor suggested I try autologous serum eyedrops and I would appreciate it very much if any of the members could describe their experiences using these eyedrops. Thanks.

I'm assuming you live in NYCity. If that's the case, you will probably be able to obtain the serum drops from at least one or more doctors/universities.

I live in the midwest and no one in my town did the drops, so I had to make a 200 mi roundtrip to obtain these. I used the drops for several weeks and actually liked them but after I found out my insurance wouldn't pay for them, I decided to stop. The distance, the $$ and all was just too much.

The drops have to be kept refrigerated so this is also something to keep in mind. My dry eye started with Lasik 10 years ago and I was dx with Sjogrens almost 3 years ago, and just a month or so ago my rheumy said I had Fibromyalgia too. I'd suggest you try finding a doctor who could accommodate you. It is certainly worth a try. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Autologous Eye Serum Drops

Isn't that when they take your blood serum and create your own eye drops? I have very advanced Sjogren's, it was suggested, but just how effective?

Comment

Originally posted by jkoz View Post
        Isn't that when they take your blood serum and create your own eye drops? I have very advanced Sjogren's, it was suggested, but just how effective?
        Hi,

Yes, according to my eye doctor, they do take your own blood serum and create your own eye drops. I believe they also dilute your blood serum with saline. According to my doctor , your blood serum contains nutrients that might have a beneficial effect on the surface of your eyes. My doctor also said that the blood serum contains antibodies, as well and I hope that these antibodies won't interact with the auto-antibodies that my body produces because of the two diseases (lupus and Sjogren's) that I have. I do think it is worth a try and I hope that we hear from other members about their experiences with using blood serum tears.

Comment

I have only started on the serum drops, only been using the serum drops for 5 days. I can keep you informed on progress if you want.

TAKE CARE! DJean

Comment

Autologous Serum

Originally posted by nycdryeyegirl View Post
            Hi,

Yes, according to my eye doctor, they do take your own blood serum and create your own eye drops. I believe they also dilute your blood serum with saline. According to my doctor , your blood serum contains nutrients that might have a beneficial effect on the surface of your eyes. My doctor also said that the blood serum contains antibodies, as well and I hope that these antibodies won't interact with the auto-antibodies that my body produces because of the two diseases (lupus and Sjogren's) that I have. I do think it is worth a try and I hope that we hear from other members about their experiences with using blood serum tears.
            Well, I live in the UK and I have been using Autologous tears for over 4 years now. Personally I hope I can keep using them forever.
            Everyting in the serum (except the dilution from the saline) is from your own blood so there shouldn't be any concern. I produce no tears at all due to Ocular Cicatrical Pemphigoid and before these drops I used to get regular ulcers from my eyes being so dry. Not only do these drops improve the comfort of my eyes they are medically proven to actually heal epitherial defects on the cornea. 2 years now since my last 96 hour hospital marathon with hourly antibiotic drops.

If you can get them at a good price I'd say go for it. In the UK I get them on the NHS for free, but I am told the process is quick and cheap to produce them.

Comment

Working...
            X