Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to survive 5 days in a dry air-conditioned room?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to survive 5 days in a dry air-conditioned room?

Hi there!
    Do you have some tips for me?
    In two weeks I have to go to a training course for 5 days. My collegues (who still have been at this course) told me that there is the worst air condition ever. One collegue who normally wears his contacts all day long was not able to wear his contacts at this training course. An another collegue told me that he had to use nose salbes all day long.
    Waaaah, how can I survive these 5 days? Should I buy a small humidifier and use it there? (But the training room is very big, I don't know if a humidifier is going to work there)
    should I cancel the training course? But I'm very interested in the subject of the course, it's important for my vocational future...
    Perhaps I can use eye salbes all day long?I'm also afraid that these 5 days will irritate my eyes lasting. This happend before when I tried restasis. The restasis irritated my eyes for 2 weeks....
    What can I do?:-/
    Please don't hesitate to correct my English - I'm still learning

That is rough. I don't think a humidifier would do anything, unless you have a small desk and you can bring one of those small personal humidifiers that use a water bottle as the source. I'm not sure what salbes are? Otherwise, you should probably look into wearing moisture chambers or if you're uncomfortable with that, you can look into trying out some MEGs. It seems like a couple posters had some positive results with them. Also, I don't know if you use eyedrops or if they do anything for you at all, but if you find that they help, I would continually use really good thick eyedrops or ointments. And finally, this is a long shot, but can you talk to the building manager to turn down the A/C? Good luck!

Comment

Ditto from me... moisture chambers are really the only effective solution in a really bad environment like that. I wonder, if others are aware it's such a problem maybe wearing goggles or something won't be as much of an issue (embarrassment) as otherwise.

One of the problems with that kind of lengthy environmental stress on the eyes is that you are forced to over-use drops and ointments/salves constantly - which can cause its own set of problems on top of everything else. So I'd be looking at anything to reduce need for drops & goop. For example maybe bring cold soothers/ice packs with you to use during breaks, and perhaps some plain saline to use as a cool rinse so that you're not constantly putting in lubricants which could cause irritation from overuse.

And yes find out if anything can be done to turn it down.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Hi thank you very much for your replys.
        I must confess that I canceled the workshop
        My eyes were in such a bad condition that I did not want to risk that they become worse...
        But in 2 weeks there is another workshop in this bad air-conditioned room and I'm going to ask the organizer if I can bring my humidifier and use it during the workshop. The room is about 50 qm2 large so I think my humidifier could handle this.
        I hope I can contact him on Monday:-)

Comment

Good luck Susie!!

Comment

Hello again
            Today was the second day of the workshop in this bad aircondioned room.
            And I canceled again. I brought my humidifier, but the room was too large for it. The room had high walls (I think about 3-4 meters) and my humidifier couldn't handle this :-( My eyes got blood-red and swollen.
            Now I'm quite frustraded:-( :-( :-(
            Do you think that I have a chance in this bad room when I get the MEG goggles? (I can't wear other goggles than MEGs because of my high prescription)
            Or are there humidifiers which can handle such a big room? Or do I need another humidifier? I have the Venta LW44:
            http://www.venta-airwasher.com/models.html
            I think this humidifier is pretty good, but perhaps it's so wrong one for this bad room :-/
            can you help me? I don't want to quit every workshop :-/

Comment

Working...
            X