Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry air in winter - any tips for surviving in it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry air in winter - any tips for surviving in it?

So... we were lucky around here... we had a positively BALMY November compared to usual, but finally, the cold hit us... HARD.

When the temps around here dropped to below -30F I had to turn the humidifier on our furnace off (to avoid water condensing on our windows)... the humidity in our home dropped from 45% down to 22%... The windows were nice and clear, but my eyes were sent straight back to dry eye hell. After a week and a half of having my eyes constantly red again and burning, my husband stated the obvious:

Why not turn UP the humidifier??

Screw the windows... we can wipe them down every day, and at least my eyes will feel better.

Hmmm... sometimes you just need someone else to set you straight...

I've managed to get the humidity up to the high 30's... that feels WAY better than 22%... but it's not as good as the 40's!

And go figure... now things have warmed up again (well, warmer than minus freaking 30!!!), and the windows are clear for the moment... even with the higher humidity... YAY!

Anyhow, when at home and my eyes burn, I've been applying a small amount of olive oil with a q-tip to my top and bottom lids.. this relieves any burning immediately, and the relief lasts for hours... much more effective than any drops I've tried ... just can't manage in the winter with nothing...)

When shopping, I still need to wear my Wiley's - but the air in the stores is so dry right now, that even WITH Wiley's I still need a drop of Celluvisc in each eye.

I'm still applying heat to my lids twice daily and expressing the glands with a q-tip as per Dr. Latkany's book...

Still taking tetracycline 250mg twice daily...

Still on Restasis 3 times daily...

Still wearing goggles 24/7...

Any other ideas for getting through the winter??

When at home, this regimen allows me to use no artificial tears except for overnight, and still be reasonably comfortable, as long as I don't read the newspaper for more than 15 minutes, and I limit television and computer use.

I'm starting to get stressed about the fact that my maternity leave ends on Jan. 18... I'm due to go back to work where there are NO available plugs for a humidifier, and because I work with the public, wearing goggles will NOT fly... so I'll have to use drops again... but at the moment, with no goggles, drops only last 15 minutes before my eyes feel aweful... how on earth will I manage... I'll be constantly running around all over the place to help customers (the breeze created from that just KILLS my eyes...), entering data into the comp, reading, ack!! I hope to god that Restasis can improve my condition immensely before then...

I too notice a huge difference when the humidity drops in the 20's. I find that using a humidifier by my bed in the winter usually keeps the humidity around 42%. I'm not sure if you use a humidifier at night, but if you don't, it helps.

Also, maybe ask your doctor about using Restasis 4x per day to help you get through the winter months, then taper back down to 3x per day when the weather gets better.

Comment

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
      So... we were lucky around here... we had a positively BALMY November compared to usual, but finally, the cold hit us... HARD.

When the temps around here dropped to below -30F I had to turn the humidifier on our furnace off (to avoid water condensing on our windows)... the humidity in our home dropped from 45% down to 22%... The windows were nice and clear, but my eyes were sent straight back to dry eye hell. After a week and a half of having my eyes constantly red again and burning, my husband stated the obvious:

Why not turn UP the humidifier??

Screw the windows... we can wipe them down every day, and at least my eyes will feel better.

Hmmm... sometimes you just need someone else to set you straight...

I've managed to get the humidity up to the high 30's... that feels WAY better than 22%... but it's not as good as the 40's!

And go figure... now things have warmed up again (well, warmer than minus freaking 30!!!), and the windows are clear for the moment... even with the higher humidity... YAY!

Anyhow, when at home and my eyes burn, I've been applying a small amount of olive oil with a q-tip to my top and bottom lids.. this relieves any burning immediately, and the relief lasts for hours... much more effective than any drops I've tried ... just can't manage in the winter with nothing...)

When shopping, I still need to wear my Wiley's - but the air in the stores is so dry right now, that even WITH Wiley's I still need a drop of Celluvisc in each eye.

I'm still applying heat to my lids twice daily and expressing the glands with a q-tip as per Dr. Latkany's book...

Still taking tetracycline 250mg twice daily...

Still on Restasis 3 times daily...

Still wearing goggles 24/7...

Any other ideas for getting through the winter??

When at home, this regimen allows me to use no artificial tears except for overnight, and still be reasonably comfortable, as long as I don't read the newspaper for more than 15 minutes, and I limit television and computer use.

I'm starting to get stressed about the fact that my maternity leave ends on Jan. 18... I'm due to go back to work where there are NO available plugs for a humidifier, and because I work with the public, wearing goggles will NOT fly... so I'll have to use drops again... but at the moment, with no goggles, drops only last 15 minutes before my eyes feel aweful... how on earth will I manage... I'll be constantly running around all over the place to help customers (the breeze created from that just KILLS my eyes...), entering data into the comp, reading, ack!! I hope to god that Restasis can improve my condition immensely before then...
      Maybe this is a stupid thing to ask (cause maybe everyone with dry eyes takes fish oil) you but, do you take any omega 3 fish oil ?

I started taking that and my eyes were a lot better in just a week or 2.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys!

Dave, I've got a humifier hooked up to my furnace... so 24/7 the whole house is humidified. It's currently 44% humidity in here... I'd like the humidity even higher, but we're having a cold snap now so even at this level of humidity, there is tons of water dripping down my windows, and even some ice build-up... bleh... I need to move somewhere humid and warm!! My eyes would love it!!

After reading your suggestion of upping Restasis to 4x daily (plus reading about others who have done so), I decided to just do it on my own ... my eyes DO feel a bit better on the higher dose, and are generally a bit whiter since I started doing that... hopefully it continues!

Sanna, it's not a stupid thing to ask at all! But, yes, I am currently taking 3 grams per day of fish oil for the omega3's.

If anyone else has more ideas for me, I'll gladly take them!

Comment

Working...
        X