This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is it?

Hello everyone, haven't posted for some time... Sorry for my poor english, I'll try my best to write properly.
    I'm just trying to find out what is the "self-starter" causing the dryness of my eyes. I'll write my short fight against dry eyes:

- Situation in 2007: Working in an office, administrative work, in front of a computer all day long with air-conditionning and artificial lights.
    First symptoms of dry eyes. I was wearing contact lenses at the time. I stopped wearing them, obviously. Tryed many treatments more or less convincing and efficient, anyway, my dryness was barely bearable...

- Situation in 2008: Studying at the University in England, spending most of my time reading books or working on my computer in my room; no air conditionning nor artificial lights.
    The dry eyes symptoms almost totally disappeared! For one whole year, one year in paradize I'd say I thought I won the fight at the time, really. Didn't try to wear my contacts lenses again though, I was happy enough with the end of my dryness.

- Situation in 2009 (part I): back to work, working on a computer in an office, with NO air-conditionning this time but still artificial lights; tiring work, with difficult schedule.
    Welcome back to my dry eyes. It came back after one month of work. I did not know why. Obviously it wasn't air-conditionning this time, nor the computer. So what could that be? Stress? Difficult hours? Anyway, I've been fired. Fortunately, because the condition of my eyes was terrible, I could not stand this situation anymore.

- Situation in 2009 (part II): Unemployed, looking for a job not too tiring, not too stressful, not in an office, not in front of a computer (just in case). Well, good luck my friend to find this job during the economical crisis. Anyway, at home, my eyes were okay. Not perfect, but bearable, I could live with it. Fine. Let's find a job.

- Situation in 2010: Working in a supermarket, putting items and articles on a shelf (so exciting). No computer, but artificial lights and air-conditionning (I guess); not stressful, and schedule is okay, not too tough.
    Well, believe me or not, but after 2 hours working in this supermarket, my eyes were red, itchy, "sand sensation" and so on. Well, dry eyes stuff ya know. Really anoying, really disheartening, really depressing. I'm going to quit that job I think, It's not interesting, and my eyes won't bear it in long term anyway

So what? What's the problem? What's my problem? Is it an allergy to work Well, I need to work, clearly, I need to earn my life if I want to live. But I can't live with eyes like this. So my situation now? Looking for a reconversion. But at first, I need to find out what are the "self-starters" for my dry eyes, or at least what's aggravating it... I need your help. Clearly, I need your advice as my ophtalmologist cannot help me...

So, I know that the day-long work on a computer, air-conditionning, stress and tiredness are not the self-starters. Not the main one at least, although they surely do not help.

- Do you think artificial lights like neons can cause dry eye (and rosacea) crisis?
    - Do you think that waking up early in the morning can causing it (I doubt it as I sleep enough, but who knows...)?
    - Do you think it's an allergy to work and that I should stay student all my life? ^^ (I'm joking, but that's not so funny in fact).

Please give me some advice on this, share your experience and help me. If I can find these self-starters, I will be able to find a job suitable to my condition and live almost normally. When I was studying at the university in England, I had no trouble. They came back when I went back to work, after one year of tranquillity. As a consequence, I'm sure there are some conditions in which my eyes are okay, so I need to find the self starters. For information, I've been diagnostised with occular rosacea (with no "skin manifestation", but with blepharitis in any case); I'm doing warm compresses, putting eye drops and taking sometimes doxycycline...

Please, tell me what you think of this Thank you! And thanks for reading this!
    Hey, nobody said life would be easy right? Please mum, next time you give birth to me, spend more time on the conception of my eyes, okay?

awww so sorry...

On a good note..I love your sense of humor! I also wish I never had to work again. But we do have to pay the bills. The only thing that lets me work is wearing my moisture chamber glasses...with the foam at all times I am at work. Since I am a slightly vain person...its not something I like to do but what else is there. As long as I am wearing them...I can work! They nick named me speed racer at work because of the way I work but oh well...if they only knew how miserable I am they probably would leave me alone. I am so tired of it...I wont even date because of it. Who would want to put of with looking at a mate with red eyes...tired eyes who can't go out and enjoy the world without thinking of what type of air they have in these establishments. Its embarrassing that I cant look someone in the eye while talking because my eyes start stinging! Its awful and I pray one day it will magically disapear. Its going on three years now and its still here. I wish my mom also concentrated on my eyes more while in utero...haha I totally feel your pain!

Comment

Do you think artificial lights like neons can cause dry eye (and rosacea) crisis?
      Based purely on my own personal experiences and struggles with dryness/redness and ocular rosacea - yes! Flourescent lighting is evil in my non-scientific opinion. My eyes always look and feel worse in artificial lights. Even 20+ years ago before my eye problems started, whenever I walked into the grocery store, my mom would say it was just as if someone clicked on a switch - we'd walk in and my eyes would instantly become red - we'd leave and they'd go back to normal. Only difference is now they are always inflamed.

Sorry I'm no help but I wanted you to know that what you're experiencing is not completely uncommon.

Comment

Thanks for your answers.
        I'm unemployed right now, but I need to find a job and I must admit that I'm a bit scared of working again: I know the nightmare will start again...
        So I'm trying to think of a job that wouldn't require working on a computer, not in a room with climatization nor artificial lights.
        Think I won't have a lot of choice then, in addition with the crisis and the huge unemployment rate here in France. Great.

Any suggestions of a job suitable for dry eye sufferers? I need advice right now :-/
        I'm thinking about becomming a truck driver: I do not have any problem when driving my car. But then I won't be able to do my warm compress hygiene whenever I want...
        Or maybe an outside job, as long as there's no wind and the air is not too cold, I can work outside. Any suggestions for me?
        Hey, nobody said life would be easy right? Please mum, next time you give birth to me, spend more time on the conception of my eyes, okay?

Comment

Working...
        X