This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot tubs and DE?

Has anyone here noticed any connections between hot tub use and their DE symptoms?

My symptoms, which aren't terrible to begin with, have really gotten worse in the last 3 or 4 weeks and I'm trying to figure out if it's something I'm doing or just another bad hand dealt to me. 2 things I am really a sucker for is "my wife's" hot tub (I didn't want it but after getting it 2 years ago I find I like it as much as her) and cappuccinos. Not the ultra sweet ones from Starbucks but instant ones I make at home. The caps are usually something I'll have in the morning on the weekends but for a couple months now I've been having more than my fair share. Now I'm cutting down on the caps and wondering if the hot tub might be a player, of which we've been spending a lot of time in since the temps have fallen well below freezing - besides, it's hard to keep the granddaughter out and she's not allowed in by herself.

I was also running 3 days a week and because of my work load I haven't done that for about 3 months.

Edit:
    I guess I should add that only one eye is exceptionally bad and I thought that was a bit odd since the last time I was in the dumps it was both eyes.

Originally posted by DG65 View Post
    My symptoms, which aren't terrible to begin with, have really gotten worse in the last 3 or 4 weeks and I'm trying to figure out if it's something I'm doing or just another bad hand dealt to me.
    Don't forget weather & humidity levels. Lot of up and down - though mostly down! - this time of the year.

Re: the hot tub, easy enough to test it: wear goggles while in the tub for awhile and see if it makes any difference.

If you normally only have a certain amount of caffeine and suddenly the last two months your caffeine intake has increased, at the same time as weather is getting colder and the heat's on inside everywhere, I wouldn't be surprised if the caffeine might have a bit of a role too.

So, goggles & cut back on the caps and see if it helps?
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks, Rebecca.

I guess I already knew what I had to do, I just thought I'd see if anyone had connected any of the dots before. I've cut back the hot tub use, eliminated the drinks and, within the last couple days set up a humidifier.

Although I still have several symptoms they seem to be a bit better.

I've been outside in the snow with the granddaughter quite a bit the last few days with my WileyX's and the exercise always seems to stimulate something that helps, also.

Thanks for the reply.

Kyle

Comment

I actually feel a lot better in my hot tub as the steam comes up from the water surface. One thing you may consider is a salt water generator sanitizer system instead of chlorine and bromine chemicals. I used bromine when I first set it up and nobody liked the smell or harshness of it. And yes, caffeine is a diuretic so it certainly doesn't help your dry eye. Drinking lots of water all day helps.

Comment

Working...
        X