X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air purifiers?

Hi All

My eyes are terrible when I work from home and I reckon it's to do with the dust. As one way to look at reducing the dust and dust mites I was considering trying an air purifier. Does anyone have any experience with these? Do they significantly trap dust? How often do the filters need replacing? Should I be looking at HEPA filters?

Any insight would be appreciated

Thanks from sunny Liverpool!

Ell
    The magic gloop IS out there somewhere - right?

Hi Ell.

I'm new here. Air purifiers definitely help me. When the filter gets too dirty my eyes go wild. Even so, sometimes it used to be a couple of days of misery before it occured to me to change the filter. I had a machine that had a gizmo to tell you when the filter and pre-filter needed to be changed, based on time run and a perecntage of life left. I finally learned that to avoid problems I had to change the prefilter when it was down to 40% life left.

I am a little concerned that when I recently started using a humidifier it may have shortened the effectiveness/life of the air purifier filters because too much moisture in the air being cleaned. But I'm not sure.

I can't really recommend a brand because my machine is dying and I have a replacement, that just arrived, Friday. I liked my old Hunter brand but it became a problem to get the filters so I'm trying an IQAir this time (expensive!). Supposedly there are better filtering systems now than HEPA but I don't know if that's really true. I googled "air purifier reviews" before purchasing but it's pretty confusing because none are perfect for every type of substance (cats, smoke, dust...).

If this machine turns out to be a lemon or fabulous, I'll try to remember to come back to post an update.

Mary

Comment

Thanks Mary - I wonder what % of dust a purifier may capture? Airborne only I'm guessing? Also can you give me an indication on the amount of filter changes required please? daily? monthly? I have no clue!

Thanks

Ell

Comment

Air Purifiers

The % of particulates cleaned out of the air by these machines is supposedly a pretty small percent, so I have a hard time really trusting those numbers since AP's help me so much. And different reviews/test result in different numbers anyway.

With my first one I had to replace the carbon pre- filter monthly. It was about $15 for a cut-to-fit pre-filter from the local chain home improvement stores. That machine was a little too small for the room though. When I bought a better machine for the space, I ended up changing the pre-filter around every 2 mos. But I have a cat and without cat hair in the air maybe it wouldn't have been needed as often. Each of my first 2 machines lasted about 5 years. I tried to get a really popular one this time so there's less likelihood they will quit making the main filters before the machine dies a natural death.

The main filter only had to be replaced after about 3 years. It's the pricey one.

Just got the new machine so I don't know yet on it. But it has more than 2 kinds of filters, to remove more types of crud from the air.

It was important to me to find a machine that was designed so that it's very easy to replace the filters and there's a guage to tell you how much life is left. I also wanted a quiet one, but that is non-existant in the ones that are very efficient, so have to just accept the white noise in the background.

Mary

Comment

If you think you have an allergic sensitivity, then see your GP and either ask for IgE antigen specific testing and/or referral to dermatology for patch testing. For years I made the assumption I was allergic to dust, bought filters, expensive vacuums etc, which made absolutely no difference. Later skin-prick tests for allergies were all negative (currently awaiting patch testing with dermatology again for chronic skin and eye irritation/inflammation).

There may be other reasons why things are worse at home (micro-climate of work room, spending longer times at a screen without distractions) which might also be contributing to the problem. Taking antihistamenes for a presumed allergic problem can also make eye dryness worse. If you do indeed have a dust-mite allergy, you would probably be better altering your home environment (minimising carpets & soft furnishings, changing mattress etc) rather than trying to rely on a small filter to remove any allergens. Radical changes like these do help with dust mite allergy, which is why it might be worth pursuing a firmer diagnosis.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health_ad...sedustmite.htm

Comment

I agree with Veteran. Doctors assumed I had traditional allergies all of my life. When tested with skin-prick test, finally, they were negative. That allergist continued to see me though and it's now been almost 20 yrs I've been seeing him for allergy symptoms rather than allergy. He said I'm very hypersensitive even though don't have the traditional allergies. He now thinks dryness (everywhere) is what makes me so sensitive, or an undiagnosed autoimmune disease. Eliminating allergens from my home (carpeting, drapes, strong chemicals, etc.) helped a lot. Also, after much experimentation, we decided all decongestants, antihistamines, inhalers for allergies or asthma, all make me worse and saline (nasal sprays, gels, etc) helps. Eventually had to switch to saline solutions at health food places due to preservative sensitivities. Since things worsened I have to also do humidifier.

Just this yr I had allergy patch tests and have that type of hypersensitivity (there are several types. traditional test are for only one type). The dermatologist was very helpful even though she initially didn't think I'd test positive. Changed my life. Somehow though, the air purifier does help me.

Good luck with it.

Mary in VA

Comment

Thanks all - lots to consider

Comment

Originally posted by MaryVa61 View Post
                He said I'm very hypersensitive even though don't have the traditional allergies. He now thinks dryness (everywhere) is what makes me so sensitive, or an undiagnosed autoimmune disease.
                I think he may be onto something there, I think dryness, of skin, eyes and mucous membranes probably results from some sort of low grade immune-mediated inflammation (in my case related to thyroid/connective tissue disease), and can mimic allergy. The lubricating barriers on these tissues break down when the various glands are compromised by inflammation, which means they suffer physical (like dust) or chemical irritation very easily, probably triggering further inflammation (the sort of vicious inflammatory circle that happens with dry eye).

My mother had terrible problems with idiopathic urticaria for years; it was triggered by heat and pressure. She had extensive skin prick/patch testing, but didn't have a true allergy to anything; the condition didn't respond to anti-histamenes which was the only treatment ever prescribed.

Just this yr I had allergy patch tests and have that type of hypersensitivity (there are several types. traditional test are for only one type). The dermatologist was very helpful even though she initially didn't think I'd test positive. Changed my life.
                Can I ask what you tested positive for in the end? (chemicals, medicines, UV etc)

Comment

There are a ton of things that people can be sensitive to, have symptoms, but never have any real test results. This is unfortunate, because we suffer and never have a reason.

Anyway, back to the humidifier/purifier question. For a long time, I went with the portable room by room air purifier that seemed to help a lot. However, I had to have multiple ones and change multiple filters every month. Some time ago, I went to a whole house filter/purifier on my furnace. You would not believe the change the Aprilaire made for me! I really notice the change when I have no changed the filter for a while!
                  Last edited by Sniffles; 20-Sep-2011, 19:36.
                  Try not. Do. Do not. There is no try.

Comment

Looking into these at the moment, but anything over $100 is just not in my budget - does anyone here have any experience with the $99 Germ Guardian AC4825 True HEPA Filter (or other models by this brand)? It appears to be the only one in this price range with a decent filter, but reviews, naturally, are mixed.

Comment

Working...
                    X