This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused on humidty and windy conditions

I notice when there is no air current outside and the humidity is 25% or less my eyes are fine but when the humidity outdoors is over 60% but the wind is around 10 to 15 mph or higher my eyes get dry especially later that night. usually humid conditions are a relief to my eyes but its the actual wind that seems to be the trigger for my symptoms. I developed dry eyes a month after my 23 chemo treatments in Mar 2009 and they have improved about 80% over time.

any thoughts on how humidity and wind affect others? thanks

the wind can really tear up a dry eye.... now i wear the Zienna moisture chamber sunglasses (look like regular sunglasses) whenever i am outdoors.. even in the winter when i would walk outside in the cold -evenn w/o wind my eyes would tear so much and hurt for about an hour.. by the way, i lived in LA up until dec 07 and i remember the Santa Ana's killing my eyes -even beforei was officially diagnosed with Sjogrens and was caring contacts.. also the beach would feel great when i was there but as soon as i got back to Sherman Oaks my eyes would totally kill... Now I live in a very humid place-ext humid compared to the San Fernado valley where i lived over 9 years and my dry eyes fluctuate... a lot of that is due to my autoimmune.. but i do know the wind def makes dry eye worse- maybe try some good moisture chambers like i have...
    Jenny

Comment

thank you Jenny, i did buy a pair of military sunwear glasses which cover the sides of my eyes too and they help. They cost about $160 and have a band to keep around shoulder. I used the glasses more the first year but less so the last year. i want to move to Hawaii one day and the rain and humidty would work wonders on my eyes but there are trade winds that can be part of the climate too. i understand the immune system can contribute to the dryness even in ideal weather conditions. your info was helpful. I also grew up in the SF Valley in the 1960 and 70's in Granada Hills and i thank God i didnt develop dry eye while living in the Valley. Granada Hills could get gusts up to 50 mph and ave 30 mph in the winter and autumn.

Comment

o gosh you are totally welcome... yes Granada Hills can be so dry and such a scorcher...wow.. the West Valley can be so hot/dry... Well hopefully you can move to Hawaii soon.. that sounds nice... I actually do better in the fall/winter and spring even though spring brings some allergies.. summers are awful here in the midwest..
        glad you have some 'glasses' to help.. I am so glad they finally make decent looking shades where no one can tell they are keeping moisture in... and yes the immune system can flare up even on a "perfect" humid day in the 70s , no allergies etc.... unfortunately..

good luck with everything.
        Jenny

Comment

Working...
        X