This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This suggestion might help someone...

According to my new opth, I have many things going on with my eyes, not the least of which is map-dot, which, as many of you fellow sufferers know, is beyond scary and way beyond painful. But, be that as it may, I also was diagnosed with allergic conjunctivitis and I have TONS of allergies not to mention severe bleph, MGD etc., and allergy testing will def be repeated in the near future. She told me in no uncertain terms, get a new pillow, change it frequently and a BIG MUST is a dust mite pillow protector. This advice may help someone else suffering with DES/allergic conjunctivitis/bleph/MGD etc. Just passing it along. Not to make anyone nauseated by my next comment, some pillows I have seen that are used on a nightly basis by people I used to know, well, let's just say the disgusting brown staining/oil/dirt/bacteria etc prominently displayed where one's head is situated nightly is enough to make me lose my lunch.

Sorry for the graphic images! I am already using my new allergen free pillows (or so the company states!) with my new dust mite protectors. Just passing along a tip that may be helpful to someone out there!! Next...dust mite mattress cover. Can't hurt!

Hey! my pillow is like that!!..

joking apart, i'm also allergic to dust mites, never knew 'dust mite pillow protecters' existed...

Comment

I have one of those hand held steamers that you can use on your bedding to kill those critters. Mine is a Haan but there are lots of others out there.

Comment

What's the difference between a hand held steamer and a steam iron? I iron all my bedding with very hot steam iron as I heard this zaps the dust mites, as does drying the bedding outside in strong sunlight (when we get some in England, that is)!

Comment

Originally posted by lizibet View Post
          What's the difference between a hand held steamer and a steam iron? I iron all my bedding with very hot steam iron as I heard this zaps the dust mites, as does drying the bedding outside in strong sunlight (when we get some in England, that is)!
          I don't know anything about a hand held steamer and never in my life have I ironed my bedding...I make it a point not to EVER IRON ANYTHING!! What I was told is that a dust mite pillow protector can cut down significantly on the dust mite population on your pillow considering your face is against it for hours each night. Don't know if it works but I am certainly willing to give it a go considering I am allergic to dust mites(as many people are) and no matter how great a housekeeper you are (and I am not exactly Martha Stewart) if it can cut down on what I am breathing in, exposing my eyes to and further irritating my problems, I am all for it! And frequently discarding your pillow for a fresh, clean one makes perfect sense to me, as well as getting a good quality pillow to begin with and not a Walmart special for $5.00! Also, sunlight or steam cleaning/ironing may get rid of dust mites at the time of when you are doing it...what happens when you are back inside with dust mites in the house? A pillow protector creates a shield to make it harder for dust mites to penetrate, because, seriously, dust mites are everywhere. Works on pet dander as well...or at least that is what I was told. For me, def worth a go

Comment

If you don't want to give up down, you can take your down pillows to your local dry cleaner and they will clean the feathers and put brand new covers on them (which then can be covered with a pillow protector).

My husband has dust (mite) allergies and while he won't give up his ancient & horrid pillow (it's not even high quality down!), I've found that having it cleaned at the dry cleaner and the cover replaced, helps a lot. Since I don't have dust allergies (one of the few things I'm not allergic to), I get the benefit of having pretty pillows.

Comment

Originally posted by Colin P View Post
              i'm also allergic to dust mites, never knew 'dust mite pillow protecters' existed...
              It is very important to have dust mite covers on your mattress AND boxspring AND all your pillows.

Please note: the covers must be zippered (i.e, not like a mattress pad that just tucks over the edge of the mattress). It must completely ENCASE the mattress, boxspring, and pillows (one for each, duh!).

Also, once you have your bedding zipped into the case, cover the zipper area with duct tape. Dust mites can make their way through zippers (sounds scary!).

Comment

Originally posted by spmcc View Post
                It is very important to have dust mite covers on your mattress AND boxspring AND all your pillows.

Please note: the covers must be zippered (i.e, not like a mattress pad that just tucks over the edge of the mattress). It must completely ENCASE the mattress, boxspring, and pillows (one for each, duh!).

Also, once you have your bedding zipped into the case, cover the zipper area with duct tape. Dust mites can make their way through zippers (sounds scary!).
                Thank you for that additional info...I almost bought the zippered mattress covers but since I had not heard of the zippered kind, I hesitated. Now I will go back and get exactly that. My pillow protectors are also zippered and I will def use the duct tape as well. Thank you for those great tips!!.....Neve

Comment

I agree with the pillow covers!! I have brand new down filled pillows that I really like and I just wondered if they were contributing to my puffy, red eyelids in the am. I used 3 pillowcases, used fragrance free detergent and still red and puffy. So, I bought the best grade pillow covers at Walmart. They are for dust mite protection and they are zippered with a plastic feeling coating on them. So I put the covers on the pillows first and still use 2 more pillowcases and I really am seeing less red and puffy!!

Comment

Hi Abby- Personally, I would not use down. You may not have a sensitivity to feathers but what I was told is that sometimes the cleaning process of the feathers is very lacking and what people react to is actually the dirt on the feathers or possibly the feathers and the dirt. Some types of down pillows clain to use an extensive cleaning process but who knows? For me, with all my eye problems, I would NOT use down and I would look for some type of hypo-allergenic type pillow. They do make down alternatives, as well. An allergist I went to several years back was adamant about never using anything made of dow. But, that's me and obviously, your situation may be different. Just my opinion from my own experiences and what I was told by the opth I just saw. Good Luck! PS -I bought all my stuff at Target -not expensive and I guess, as with all things DES, only time will tell!

Comment

Thanks neve for your input. The down pillows are probably a bad idea but I am such a bad sleeper (the eye issue certainly doesn't help) and I have always had a down pillow. Maybe I will experiment with a down alternative and see if I notice a difference...especially since I noticed an improvement adding the protector cover!!

Comment

The mattress and encasings aren't just to keep dust mites out. They are to keep them inside the mattress and pillow so when there is weight put on them (you) there isn't a puff of old, dried, dust mite bits floating up into the air through the sheets. So encasings keep em in there and washing the bedding every week or two in very hot water (130-140F) kills the live ones on the bedding. It's safest to toss out the comforters and throw pillows and only use bedding that can be washed frequently. They like moisture, so the steam idea may only kill them from the surface (if hot enough) but feed the ones deeper in that the heat can't reach. Maybe the steam is so hot that it immediately evaporates and doesn't leave any moisture inside the pillow/mattress but I don't know if I'd trust it.

There are allergy supply companies you can order from online easier than shopping locally, and most have customer reviews you can read. The soft, breatheable covers are far more comfy than the stiff plastic feeling stuff that makes you hot and sweaty, but they're more pricey. So you may only want to use the cheaper ones on the box spring.

Just my experiences, and advice to me from my allergists.

Comment

Excellent advice!!! For my pillows, I got the breathable covers (cotton) and have not yet gotten the mattress cover....probably today. And as I sleep on a Futon, won't have to get a box spring cover. Thank you! And just as an aside, I got this stuff at Target where they also sell mattress dust mite covers that zip as well as the dut mute pillow protectors, different materials and different prices. Thanks again- great advice.!

Neve

Comment

Working...
                          X