Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting baptized in the ocean - problem for DES?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting baptized in the ocean - problem for DES?

I'll only be underwater for like 5 seconds, but then when I open my eyes, some salt water will probably drip from my hair into my eyes.

Will this simply irritate my eyes? Can the unpurified ocean water cause any problems beyond mere irritation?

I plan on flushing them out with some Unisol. And I might put some Genteal PM in my eyes beforehand to see if that makes the water kind of slide off my cornea.

Am I making too big a deal of this, or should ocean water be a legitimate concern?

Could you wear goggles just to be safe?

Comment

haha well first of all congratulations.

Secondly, I wouldn't wear goggles if I were you, because while I agree it would keep you safe, it wouldn't look good for the audience.

My advice?
      - Bring a towel and use it right after you're done.
      - Bring all your treatment stuff and use it as soon as possible after coming out the water.
      - Close your eyes tight.
      - Plug your nose.

Congratulations once again

Comment

My eyes sure are a lot happier in sea water than a swimming pool... or even tap water. I suppose we're all different. But I think your plan is right on - lubricate before, flush with unisol after. I think you'll be fine!
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I agree with Rebecca here, my eyes were great while at the ocean this year, I'm sure the gel will create a barrier. This is a very special occasion for you, congratulations on your decision!

Comment

What happens if I do get salt water in my eyes? Is it a big deal? I haven't gone swimming since getting DES.

Thank you all for your replies.

Comment

Working...
            X