This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about humidifiers

I am thinking of getting a humidifier, since I've noticed my eyes feel much, much better in humid environments (and I can't just live in the bath!).

So many different kinds to choose from. Which is better - cool or warm air? Any other features to look out for?

I don't want to spend too much at this stage - have seen a cool mist one in Argos at £34.99 (Challenge) which has a lot of good reviews, or a warm mist one at £28.99 (Bionaire), also with good reviews.

Am thinking of using it next the computer during the day and also in the bedroom at night (my eyes get very, very dry overnight).

I prefer the warm ones but in the summer, I think a cool one would be preferable because they really do increase the temperature of your room.
    If you have children and might be concerned about them playing with it, a cool one is safer.

Comment

I would avoid a COOL-MIST!!..
      It will turn your room into the Arctic inside 20mins, then to compensate you will find yourself putting the heating on, warm moving air- V.BAD!!...

You need a WARM MIST will heat up your room at the same time! saving on heating, and the harm to your eyes of the actual heating being on..
      Leave your windows on vent while humidifier is on, cos your room will end-up too moist, and windows will condensate..
      I got a Vicks(the cold and flu people) warm mist Humidifier from Argos, and it is V.good...
      See if you can get a hygrometer also from Argos? they are on ebay for about £5... A hygrometer measures humidity in the room, ive had mine upto 85% humidity.

Comment

Thank you both, that is good advice. I will probably get the warm mist one then (I live in Scotland - it's cold enough as it is!), and also a hygrometer. Hope it helps!

Comment

I would second the Vicks warm mist humidifier as it is very good. Only slight downside is that it will make the room very warm very quickly.

Comment

Robster is it this one you have? http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...HUMIDIFIER.htm

Comment

That's the one.

Comment

Make sure you take a picture of the ceiling above where your humidifier will be placed. If you notice over time that the ceiling is starting to turn black, it's because the condensation is causing mildew, which will eventually spread and rot your ceiling costing you big money if the problem is not taken care of. It's good to take a picture so you have something to compare it to if/when the mildew sets in.

I recommend using a humidifier in a room with an easy to clean ceiling so that if/when the mildew comes, you can very simply remove it. If you have one of those bumpy ceilings, or a ceiling so high you can't reach it, it could turn into a nightmare costing you money in repairs.

Comment

Safe Levels of Indoor Relative Humidity

Safe Levels of Indoor Relative Humidity

Consumer Reports lists the Hunter 31004 Ultrasonic Humidifier as the best . It's on Amazon for $30.00. No wicks, filters ,etc. Just fill it every day & .clean with Vinegar once per week. Google it. There are $ 200.00 units that won't compare with the Hunter 31004.

The big problem ! All common wisdom states the safe zone for humidity is 40 - 60 % Relative Humidity. I live in SF 6 blocks from the Bay & my RH is 65% on a consistent basis. Raising it to 80 -85% with a Humidifier can cause Mold & subsequent health problems far worse than DES. Doctors tell us to use a Humidifier but no one counsels you as to what are safe levels of Relative Humidity in your bedroom. I went out & bought two (2) Hygrometers just to make sure I was getting the correct reading.

Is it safe to raise the RH in your bedroom to 85 % or above ? This is an important question that should be given some serious thought and hopefully some insightful comments from DEZ Forum members. For those in climates with a RH of 40% this is not an issue but for those living in more temperate climates, this is an important consideration. You won't get the answer form Doctors -99 out of 100 won't have a clue what you are talking about. The answer will come from the the collective wisdom of Forum participants - or it will be ignored. It's up to us.

Comment

Working...
                  X