Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

who has a humidifer on their ac/heat unit? and it is bad for allergies?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• who has a humidifer on their ac/heat unit? and it is bad for allergies?

my doc today suggested i get a humidifer built onto my ac/heat unit.. whenever i mentioned that i have bad allergies he said then it probably wasnt a good idea..i was curious if a lot of you with dryness had built in humidifiers on your ac/heat units?? does it make allergies worse?
    Jenny

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
    my doc today suggested i get a humidifer built onto my ac/heat unit.. whenever i mentioned that i have bad allergies he said then it probably wasnt a good idea..i was curious if a lot of you with dryness had built in humidifiers on your ac/heat units?? does it make allergies worse?
    I got a humidifier that moistens but also kills bacteria in the water with a UV light. Its not connected wiht the ac/heat unit though

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Honeywell-...ifier/16563558

Here is a link to a description for it. Hope it helps!

I have noticed a difference. A few nights ago we forgot to put water in it, and the next mroning i woke up and my nose was so dry from it being so dry in our apt. got a bloody nose!

Comment

thanks Vivian! do you use distilled water in it or water from a filtered pitcher? i know they say not to use tap... thanks again!!!!
      Jenny

Comment

Originally posted by jenny2008 View Post
        thanks Vivian! do you use distilled water in it or water from a filtered pitcher? i know they say not to use tap... thanks again!!!!
        we use tap water, we were under the impresson that was ok since the uv light kills the bacteria.

Comment

I have been looking into getting one of those humidifier units that hook up to the central unit. It just sounds much easier than cleaning the smaller one every day. Plus you don't need one in every room. I wish I could talk to someone who has one.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
            I have been looking into getting one of those humidifier units that hook up to the central unit. It just sounds much easier than cleaning the smaller one every day. Plus you don't need one in every room. I wish I could talk to someone who has one.
            I have one and I adore it!!! Best thing ever!

Mine doesn't need to run in the summer because there is plenty of natural humidity in the air - but in winter, the humidifier is fabulous and runs pretty much 24/7. Also, the reason my indoor air stays relatively moist in summer even with the A/C on is because we have an HRV - it brings in the fresh, more humid, outdoor air all day, which counteracts the drying effect of the A/C.

Mind you, you're in Mississippi - I assume any indoor dryness there would be due to running an air-conditioner?

Comment

i cant get teh humidifier hooked up to my unit cause i have electric heating! just found out ..so this winter i will just have to try a few small portable ones..o well
              Jenny

Comment

SAAG, It does get very humid here in MS in the summer. I do feel much better when I'm outside. But yes the a/c and heater can make my eyes hurt really bad. In the winter I boil water on the stove and run a small humidifier in the bedroom. I just get so tired of having to clean out the humidifier every day. My plan is to invest in a bigger unit that can be controled through the whole house.

Jenny, I think you can get these units hooked up to an all electric unit. SAAG, Is your central unit electric?

Comment

We have forced air heating. The humidifier is hooked up to the air pipe (or whatever it's called) that comes off the furnace and the humidified air gets mixed in that way.

Comment

That is awesome. Wish I had one. Do you have to do any kind of cleaning to it? Just wondering if there would be any mold or allergies with all the moisture in the pipes?

Comment

There is a filter that needs cleaning once a year or something... but not much else. Apparently there are different kinds of humidifiers for this purpose and some require more maintenance/cleaning than others.

Comment

the electric heating is somehow hooked up in my attic in my garage-the ac guy said its too small of a space to attach-could cause a fire... fire hazard.
                        Jenny

Comment

Working...
                        X