Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Amazing how much 18 days in a humid climate can help!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazing how much 18 days in a humid climate can help!

Well, I just got back from 18 days in a warm, humid climate. During that time, I was able to go without moisture chambers all the time when indoors (and even go without them if sitting outside in the evenings when it was too dark for my Wiley sunglasses), I was able to go off Salagen, quit using Restasis, quit the naltrexone drops, use my artificial tears about half as much as I do at home, and my eyes stayed white and felt great - I even used the computer for anywhere from 2-3 hours each evening after my kids went to sleep. Keep in mind I was not in air-conditioned environments other than grocery shopping, and we never used any fans to keep cool - we just let our bodies naturally get used to the heat and humidity and it was all good.

Now I'm back home and eyes are scratchy and dry (it's freezing cold out, so the heat is on and indoor air humidity is very low... waiting for my humidifier to get fixed!!!). I'm curious to see if I can get away with staying off Restasis and Salagen... but I suspect I'll have to go back on it to survive winter...

Anyhow, all this just strengthens my resolve to try to pull off this move to New Zealand (north island) so my eyes can bask in the benefits of living in a more humid climate (plus, I'm not gonna lie, it'll be a cool experience to live on the other side of the planet, explore a new country etc!) Hoping my application gets picked!!!!

Hi SAAG,
    I read that you are on Salagen. Does it help with your eyes? My doc thinks I should try it, but I fear the side effects like swetting, heart palpitations, and too much saliva. What is your experience?

Comment

I was scared to try it too... but it's not that big a deal to just try it if you consider that the effects wear off in as little as 3-4 hours for a lot of people (myself being one of them).

I was most successful at increasing the dosage by starting on a single 5mg tab per day for a few weeks until I no longer experienced any adverse effects. Then I increased to taking 2 tabs per day (1 tab in the morning, and a second tab about 4 hours later) - I did this for a few weeks until I no longer experienced any adverse effects... then I did the same thing increasing to 3 tabs per day (ie. 1 tab every 4 hours, and no more after 3 tablets that day)... then finally I went to 4 tabs per day (taking 1 tab every 4 hours during waking hours).

If you are really super nervous about trying them, why not cut a tab in half and take only 2.5mg to start with? That way you get a super low dose to give you a tiny idea of how your body reacts... if all goes well, then go ahead and take a whole tablet. They really do wear off quick, so I doubt you'll have any major issues. Also, you can lower the peak effect of any side effects by taking the Salagen after food - having a full stomach will slow down the absorption of the drug a bit, which can lower side effects sometimes.

Let us know how it goes if you try it!

Oh, and yes, it did help with my eyes... they'd be more moist for a while after taking a Salagen tablet which was a nice break for me! It would usually take maybe 20 minutes to kick in if I took the Salagen on an empty stomach, and maybe an hour to kick in on a full stomach (even 1.5 hrs if I'd had a LOT to eat prior to taking it).

Comment

SAAG, may I ask where it was you went for the 18 days ?
        We live in Melbourne Australia and are thinking about relocating to a place kinder to my wife's eyes. It is dry and hot in summer here and very windy but cooler and wetter in winter. Melbourne is also considered to be the allergy capital of Australia. In particular it is very bad for dust mite here which Kathy has an allergy to. Our experience is that humid climates are better but we find cool and humid is better than hot and humid (tropical).
        2 years ago we holidayed on the west coast of the South Island of New Zealand and Kathy's eyes were much better there. North Island would be warmer but not hot. New Zealand is very windy, I think, but the air would generally be very clean and generally humid.

Comment

Hi Neil,

We went to Maui - it's my version of paradise on earth! (even before I had dry eyes!)

As for NZ, the relative ease of relocating there and getting licensed in my line of work, plus, of course, the all-important humidity, is a huge attraction for us. The low wages not so much... but if they let us in (I have to pass an exam next Sept. and get a job first... crossing fingers!!!) I hope we love it enough to stay forever. If not, so be it. But you only live once, and I've always wanted to explore that part of the world anyhow, so why not!

Comment

SAAG, which part of Canada do you live in ? We went to British Columbia for 5 weeks last March and Kathy's eyes were also much better there. But she did have Lipiflow at the start of our time there so we were not sure if the improvement was due to the Lipiflow, the environment or perhaps just being on holiday.
            What was striking though was that as soon as we got back to Melbourne Kathy's eyes got worse. Literally within a day of being back !
            BC seems to be very humid, particularly on the coast and even though it was quite cold Kathy was, as I said, a lot better.
            It would be really good to know what climate was best for dry eye sufferers.

Comment

I live on the prairies in Manitoba - summers are often very hot and absolutely gorgeous - but winters are what kills my eyes - it gets extremely cold here in winter, so we need to heat our homes - the heating really dries out the air and indoor humidity often reaches as low as 20%... I've even seen it a bit lower at times.

British Columbia (coastal area) is my backup plan if NZ doesn't work out for one reason or another - there isn't anywhere in BC that stays quite as warm as much of north island in NZ for the winter season, hence trying for NZ first (plus, the fact that I just plain want to explore that part of the world!!)

I think having sufficient humidity is key to comfort for a lot of people with dry eyes.

Comment

The last two weeks of april were my best weeks this years, plus a week in may. I thought I was in the reight way to be fixed. I lived in a island, with much rain during the year. But I had to move to a dry city. Never got so good again. At least when my eyes are not much inflammed, humidity is waht makes all the difference between being good or being bad.

Comment

When i was in Texas last summer my it was roasting.I literally couldnt go outside for more than 10 minutes as i wasnt used to it.I spent most of my time indoors where there obviously was air con and vents.In spite of the air con my eyes still felt a lot better over there.
                  I think humidity has a big effect on someone being in severe v moderate pain.

Originally posted by SAAG View Post
                  Hi Neil,

We went to Maui - it's my version of paradise on earth! (even before I had dry eyes!)

As for NZ, the relative ease of relocating there and getting licensed in my line of work, plus, of course, the all-important humidity, is a huge attraction for us. The low wages not so much... but if they let us in (I have to pass an exam next Sept. and get a job first... crossing fingers!!!) I hope we love it enough to stay forever. If not, so be it. But you only live once, and I've always wanted to explore that part of the world anyhow, so why not!

Comment

I live in dry old Calgary Alberta during the summer and spend my winters in tropical Panama. I have steadfastly maintained that my eyes are every bit as bad if not worse in Panama in spite of the humidity due to the constant exposure to moving air via fans, a/c etc. Well this year all of that has changed, thanks to this forum. What has changed for me is that I discovered and have been using serum drops for about 10 months now. This year I have my goggles (lost them last year) and also I had my upper ducts cauterized and the lowers plugged. I am happy to report that although I am far from 'cured' I am vastly more comfortable this year than ever before and am enjoying the 90% humidity which in spite of the constant air movement of the fans has been a big improvement over the 25% humidity of Calgary. As the new me, I take it all back. Hope you make it to NZ Saag...F/G

Comment

Thanks F/G - moving air is such a huge factor too, isn't it! Probably has at easily as much effect on the eyes as very low humidity for lots of us I imagine.

Well, if NZ doesn't work out F/G, I may be asking you about Panama too haha We were honestly looking into Panama also due to ease of immigration... but I was worried about safety in some areas, cost of schooling for the kids etc. That being said, I never did reach a point in my research where I put Panama down as a firm "no" either...

I'm hell bent on moving somewhere humid... I figure with high humidity and moisture chamber goggles (specifically my Wiley's), I'll have it as good as it'll ever get for me Life's too short to suffer all winter year after year after year for the next half century or more. (Yes, I plan on living a looooooong time if all goes according to the master plan muahaha)

Originally posted by farmgirl View Post
                      am happy to report that although I am far from 'cured' I am vastly more comfortable this year than ever before and am enjoying the 90% humidity which in spite of the constant air movement of the fans has been a big improvement over the 25% humidity of Calgary. As the new me, I take it all back. Hope you make it to NZ Saag...F/G
                      And I am absolutely thrilled for you that you've found a new and improved level of comfort compared to before - this is fantastic news!!!!

Comment

Thanks Saag, yeah like today I think I put regular drops in once when I started out to drive and couldn't find my goggles and had to use the fitover sunglasses. A far cry from last year when I was going through a pack of preservative free drops every 2-3 days...yikes! PM me if you seriously want more info on Panama...cheers...F/G

Comment

I am happy to report that although I am far from 'cured' I am vastly more comfortable this year than ever before
                          Woo hooooooooo. Yippee F/G.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
                          X