This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper home humidity levels

Does anyone know what the the proper humidity level should be in the home for dry eye sufferers?

The humidity level in my apartment is about 41 percent, and it always seems very dry, but I heard if you increase it over 50%, you have to be concerned about mold problems.

Thanks

I think 50-60 IS what HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning) websites recommend as the max, BUT ... depending on your home's construction, I'm sure that some situations would allow more and some less.

As somebody who WAS researching humiditification in an effort to buy in Colorado, I can tell you this is a complex subject, BUT that much good information exists on the Web. There are trade associations for Air Conditioning AND millions of bits of data about mold. Tons of factors come into play here--many of them involve home construction particulars.

There is, quite likely, NO one size fits all answer.

You may want to do some preliminary research, then consult a certified HVAC tech to understand the variables in YOUR particular home.

All the best,
    Neil

Comment

My humidity in my home stays between 50-70 most of the time. I live in the rainy northwest and have never had a mold problem, even when using my humidifer in the winter.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

office air con

Coincidence you mention this today. I just installed a humidity clock in my work place. Today I found 34% at 8am. Now at 2pm it is 28%. According to my union H&S representative an office environment should be 40% to 70%.
        I've reported the problem to the facilities and am waiting for a change.

Searching on the web, the nearest outside humidity near this level is Chad, Central Africa with 37%.
        Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Humudity Level

Thanks for the replies, the humidity level in my apartment right now is around 37-41 percent. Guess I need to crank up the humidifier.

Comment

Just have to watch out for dust mites. They grow in 40% plus humidity. I need the humidity for my eys but I am allergic to dust mites. Somedays you just can't win.

Comment

Here's a little anecdotal information for you ... take it for the little it's worth.

I've been traveling around Europe. In the Fall, it basically rains incessantly on the entire continent ... or ... at least wherever I happen to be

I have a small thermometer/hygrometer (humidity) that I set up in the hotel rooms. Basically, I've tried to correlate my symptoms with ambient temp and humidity.

I've seen LOTS of 75 degree, 75% humidity readings all over the continent ... and my eyes hurt ... of course.

But ... I arrived a few days ago in Granada, Spain. The skies are blue, the sun is strong, the winds are calm AND it's about 45% humidity in my hotel room--good for drying the hand laundry each day but ... you guessed it: FRYING my eyes. I've ventured out two nights in a row and have almost literally RUN back to my hotel. The Narco (double strength Vicodin) ain't making it.

So ... we've seen the published studies correlating ambient humidity with tear evaporation rates. Everybody has to find the sweet spot for themselves, including the dust mite/mold/construction issues ... BUT ... humidity, generically, seems unequivocally to be our friend.

I can't help but wonder how our New Mexico, Utah, Idaho, etc. friends would fare in a wetter climate, and how our new friend from Ixtapa--just like he said--might be devastated in a drier area.

The other thing that I've noticed on this trip is: in the FEW places where I've needed AND HAD a/c or heat--it hasn't really dropped the ambient humidity NEARLY as much as I anticipated, and NEVER as low as the numbers here in Granada. Maybe their HVAC systems work differently ... or something ... dunno.

Best,
              Neil

Comment

Working...
              X