Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know where is the best place to live in the US with dry eye ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know where is the best place to live in the US with dry eye ?

Hi,
    I have found the 100 dry eye spots, over the web where Columbus, Ga was in the 100th position. I live 25 miles away from Columbus, Ga and besides high humidity I don't see any other reason to be dry eye friendly. In the summer the temperatures are very high 110F or more, and everywhere air conditioning is running high. Does anyone know the criteria used in this classification and where is the best place to live with DES?

Thank you.

Regards,

George

Criteria used in the "100 worst" - so, by implication, the best - are as follows:

- Altitude
    - Temperature
    - Humidity levels
    - Wind
    - Pollution
    - Ocular allergy irritants

Here's a link for more info:

http://www.healthywomen.org/newsroom...spotsfactsheet

My personal guess of the best would be low-altitude parts of the Pacific Northwest and similar moderate climates. That's not much comfort to people like you, Kitty, Delilah or Vicki though.

Anybody out there think their environment is better for dry eye than another? I think that Neil may have posted something not long ago about San Diego being a "good" place for dry eye.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

I would be happy to conduct a research experiment and spend several months in Hawaii. Of course, I would need to secure funding. Please let me know if you are willing to assist in funding such a project!
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
        Criteria used in the "100 worst" - so, by implication, the best - are as follows:

- Altitude
        - Temperature
        - Humidity levels
        - Wind
        - Pollution
        - Ocular allergy irritants

Here's a link for more info:

http://www.healthywomen.org/newsroom...spotsfactsheet

My personal guess of the best would be low-altitude parts of the Pacific Northwest and similar moderate climates. That's not much comfort to people like you, Kitty, Delilah or Vicki though.

Anybody out there think their environment is better for dry eye than another? I think that Neil may have posted something not long ago about San Diego being a "good" place for dry eye.
        I believe that Delilah is in Idaho, a very dry place indeed!
        Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

True, true. Guess I was mostly thinking of the nice temperate parts of the NW, like western WA and Oregon. The whole NW was pretty much not represented on the Top 100 list.
          Rebecca Petris
          The Dry Eye Foundation
          dryeyefoundation.org
          800-484-0244

Comment

25 sleeps to go but who's counting????

Not sure about the US but I will let you know what effect the sunny humid climate of South East Queensland Australia has on my dry eyes after 25 more sleeps - can't wait.

Ian
            (I'm very happy to be going "home")

Comment

You aren't excited are you, Ian?
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Is this a visit or a permanent move?

I swear one day I'm gonna grab Lucy and a bag of eye drops and we're gonna fly out to Europe and Australia and visit a fellow dry-eye buddy. Whaddaya say, Luc?
                Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Just line up a babysitter..........and let me know........

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

If you are coming as far as Australia you had better pop over the Tasman too and visit NZ. Summer will be here soon and we have some pretty good places for dry eyed people! Let me know when you are coming!
                    When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Comment

Diana

It is a semi-permanent move. It was meant to be a permanent relocation but I just lost interest with the packing and shipping so I decided that I would go for 3 months and then come back to the UK next year and then decide what to do.

Unfortunately, my work is here and my family are on the other side of the world.

I just feel I need some quality family time.

So, whether you plan a trip to Australia or a trip to Europe I am sure that I can accommodate you and show you the sites.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Thank you all for your input.

About NW areas like WA, OR: for temperature point of view they are good for dry eye, but as for humidity the summer is pretty dry (20-30%) which is not good.
                        Checking the humidity US map found that EST of US is more humid than WEST so better for dry eye. Taking this into account and moderate temperature states like N Carolina, S Carolina, we can get a dry eye friendly environment as long as getting close to the coast. This is what I get so far using only 3 variables.
                        Please answer if any pros/cons.
                        For Ian : I'll be waiting for your Australia input. By the way, what is the temperature range over there? Thanks,

Best Regards,
                        George

Comment

Queensland - Beautiful one day, perfect the next

Found this quote

"A Christmas eve barbecue around the swimming pool? New Year's day sunning at the beach? A change is as good as a holiday and Brisbane's sub-tropical climate certainly offers you that. The coolest months are July/August with day temperatures around 21º Celsius, nights around 10º Celsius. The hottest season (January/February) has highs around 29º Celsius with evenings around 21º Celsius. So your luggage should be mainly light clothes, cool and casual. No wonder Queenslanders say 'Beautiful one day, perfect the next'."

Just checked the average humidity for Brisbane for December - March and it is around 88% - Has to be heaven for dry eye suffers.

Will let you know how I get on.

Only 24 sleeps now - for those of you interested.

Ian

Comment

With manufactured air and heat available everywhere and one or the other running year round, I suspect there is not a perfect place for Dry Eye sufferers. The tear film osmolarity has such an impact on the eyes that unless you can isolate the humidity directly around the eye the overall humidity level is not likely to have much impact. The slightest breeze increases evaporation of the tear film.

Comment

Speaking of weather............the tv weather guy just showed 17 degrees in the northern part of my state at this very moment. Won't be that cold here just yet, but our furnace is blasting and I have to move plants and make roomfor the old humidifier. Ugh.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                              X