Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Humidifiers..Do you see a significant difference??

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidifiers..Do you see a significant difference??

I know getting a humidifier is good for dry eyes...but what kind of difference can you expect? Are you able to walk around your home or at least have one room where you can stare blindly and not have burning or pain becasue that would be a godsend...What are some realistic expectations...or is this going to be another addition to my arsenal of useless dry eye remedies.

Later Everybody.

Oh..Not!

Absolutely not!! Humidifed air is much easier on the eyes. I run a large apt. sized one in my living area and a room size one in my bedroom. I can't tell you how much difference it makes. I'm sure a lot of people will agree. But you have to make the humidifier fit the space. Don't get a small humidifier and expect it to humidify an apt. They usually tell you on the box how many sq. feet they will cover. Now as to whether you will be able to stare blindly or not walk around in pain, there is no way for me to tell you. Everyone has different degrees of dryness and discomfort. I just know that I don't even travel without one for my hotel room.

Billye

Comment

Of course everyone is different but a humidifier is certainly worth a try. We just had a humidifier installed on our furnace and I notice a big difference. As a matter of fact we were visiting friends yesterday in there unhumidified home. As the evening wore on my eyes became very dry. I could hardly wait to get home to my humidifier. I agree that you need to get the proper size to humidify the space.

Comment

IMO, humidifiers and goggles (which are like humidifiers close to your eye) are a must for DE sufferers. I personally prefer the warm mist humidifiers.

Being that you live in Chicago, I would think warm mist would work better. The warm mist also warms the room in the winter when you need the humidity most ). Best. YGB

Comment

I use a humidifier on my furnace and have another one running in my bedroom. You'll have to check on safe levels of humidity in the house. Mildew is a concern. But, I most definitly see a difference in my home. It's become the most comfortable place for me to be. I do better at night with the moist air; consequently my eyes feel better during the day for it.

Just when I take for granted the comfort I get from humidity, I find myself in a dry hotel room for a night or two and I do suffer for it. I'm suffering for it right now as a matter of fact.

You won't be disappointed if you invest in this therapy.

Diana
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Office humidifier made a big difference

I believe working on the computer for 8 hours a day has made my dry eyes much worse. The other day I finally found a small humidifier I can use at my desk. I know not to get excited about anything after two days, but I have this thing misting right in front of me and I believe it is making a significant difference. My eyes don't seem to hurt much at all. In fact for me humidifiers in general have probably done more for me than any other treatment. That includes restasis, plugs, and over the counter drops. Here is where I found them for the cheapest:

http://www.gnc.com/sm-pearlessence-s...i-2486334.html

I am going to continue to use it and if it keeps working I am going to buy one for all my family and friends. They may not want to use a big humidifier, but I believe all of them would be willing to put this in their house. With oils it is supposed to be a great air freshner as well. It also nearly silent and doesn't take much water which is important because you have to use distilled water for these. When I had a bigger one I tried using regular water and it quit working within a month.

I will say when I first got it out and tried it, nothing happened. I was getting ready to call customer service, but I messed with the water sensor a bit and it seems to be working great now.

I will let you know in a few weeks if it is still working for me.

Comment

College Student Apt humidifier...

Due to my restrained "starvin' student" budget, I can't really afford a super duper fancy humidifier. I have a small 1 room humidifier I keep in my bedroom so I don't wake up with my eyelids stuck to my eyeballs, but for the rest of the apartment, my boyfriend came up with a fabulous idea. He loves weather has one of those forecast stations that also tells you the inside temp and humidity.

The humidity in our apt during the winter time (with elec heat) is generally in the 30%'s. Not good and very painful on my eyes. So, when all else fails, we fill a huge pot of water and let it boil (uncovered) on the stove until all the water evaporates out of the pot. If you keep refilling the pot and let it boil continuosly for about an hour, the humidity will rise to atleast 65-70%. And it will stay that way for several hours.

It works, and you don't have to spend hundreds on a super big humidifier. That may not be feasible for people with small children, and you have to make sure you're around and don't forget you have a pot boiling for an hour... but it works for me.

Comment

I've been using a humidifier for the past 3 months. I've noticed absolutely no improvement whatsoever in my eyes.

Comment

My humidifier (Holmes, ~$30) has definitely made my home more comfortable. While i'm not sure it has improved my dry eye or not, at least I can get relief from the horrible menthol sensation while I'm relaxing at home. I figure I suffer all day when I'm out of my house, at least I can look forward to coming home to less dry eyes. Also, I have a warm humidifier, so I don't even need to turn on my heater that often. So it's a win win situation for my eyes. Now if only we could get some invisible portable humidifers to carry around with me....

In conclusion, humidifiers do help!

Comment

Humidifiers? How often use?

I bought a cold mist humidifier as I have a small baby and didnt want her burning herself.

My question is, how long each day should I be using it? I am contious of how much electricity it is using so cant have it on day and night. However I want to use it to the best advantage for my dry eyes.

Any help would be good
                    Thanks

Comment

my 2 cents.....

hi gang
                      for me well i just got a new humidifier and it seems to help me....only when i open the window and leave the unit i feel the pain come back.this is a whole
                      new world 4 me.first it was allergies and im getting rid of them....now is this
                      whole set of problem with my eyes not to mention a.d.d...where does it end?

coonsanders

Comment

humidifier

I bought one on ebay - does nothing for me - so not sure

Comment

I have a $30 Holmes that I like very much. It helps somewhat, but as another poster said, it will only help dry eyes a little bit. My apartment was as dry as the Sahara Desert, so now it is at a comfortable humidity level which helps to breathe better, etc. You may not think it is helping your dry eye, but try going without the humidifier a couple of days and you will see a difference. I will say that I get tired filling the thing up constantly and the maintenance, but I guess it's worth it.

Comment

Working...
                          X