X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reality Check: Humidity/Humidifiers/Hygrometer

This week I finally decided to buy a humidifier. Bought:

Honeywell Ultrasonic Model HUT-102. Ran for 2 days, then broke.

Bionaire Personal Humidifier. Defective right out of the box.

Venta Sonic Humidifier. Still OK after 2 days.

Acu-Rite digital hygrometer. Works OK, except that the lowest humidity reading it detects is 20%. Below that it reads "LO." I should have read the package before buying it.

Reality Check:
    The typical humidity in my house here in New Mexico USA is BELOW 20%--"LO." Running a humidifier in the living room all day didn't raise the level above LO. In the bedroom, with the humidifier going all night and the door closed, it got to 25%--whoop-dee-doo.

I would have to buy an industrial-strength humidifiers to make any change.

Noise:
    The ultrasonic units may be quiet, but I am REALLY not used to the HUM all night long. How do you guys stand it?

C66

I find the white noise to be soothing. Any way you can talk yourself into that?
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Well, if you do resort to industrial strength, you may want to read Dr. Brown's write-up for us on the Vornado and why she ultimately went with that one. (Side benefit: it's quiet.) See humidifiers.

No, I'm not getting kickbacks from the manufacturer . We got into a conversation about humidifiers recently when I mentioned I was thinking of getting one and I found myself being educated by a humidifier connoisseur.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Thanks, guys! I'm going to check into that Vornado.

Getting used to "white noise"--it's definitely going to take some practice.

Another question: I guess I'm so used to ultra-dry air in my house---but, the mist irritates my throat and makes me cough. (Bedroom--I have the unit 6 ft away and pointing the other direction). Do you notice anything like that?

C66

Comment

Hmmm...dry air does that to me, not moist air. Can't imagine why you'd have trouble with your throat. You may not need it quite that close to you.
          Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Working...
          X