This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car humidifiers in DEZ shop?

Rebecca - is there any chance I could get a car humidifier through your shop? I tried to get one through Amazon but then I read they do not send them outside USA. Still have to find a humidier somehow too but the ones from USA do not fit our power points. Anyone in Australia know of availability of humidifiers there via Internet? Cheaper freight from there too. The car ones should be OK for NZ as I guess they plug into the cigarette lighter socket? We should get some more moisture around soon with some Autumn rain. BUT my eyes drive me nuts in the car as we eke the aircon on so it just goes and turn it off as soon as possible - the humidity just goes down so quickly with airconditioning on!
    Dotanne
    When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Originally posted by Dotanne
    Rebecca - is there any chance I could get a car humidifier through your shop? I tried to get one through Amazon but then I read they do not send them outside USA. Still have to find a humidier somehow too but the ones from USA do not fit our power points. Anyone in Australia know of availability of humidifiers there via Internet? Cheaper freight from there too. The car ones should be OK for NZ as I guess they plug into the cigarette lighter socket? We should get some more moisture around soon with some Autumn rain. BUT my eyes drive me nuts in the car as we eke the aircon on so it just goes and turn it off as soon as possible - the humidity just goes down so quickly with airconditioning on!
    Dotanne
    Hi Dotanne,

Well, I wish I could help, but I'm not sure how. I'm not anywhere near actually stocking humidifiers in the shop - I don't have any expertise in humidifiers at all, let alone the power issues (I suspect anything from the US will require a transformer as well as a plug converter?). If you can determine what specific make/model of auto humidifier you want, and the only issue is shipping, I may be able to help facilitate getting it to you.

I feel your pain with the a/c having spent 3 years in Florida
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by Dotanne
      Dotanne
      Dotanne-

You're going through a lot lately ... and I'm sorry.

I had a thought (it's very rare these days): if you can't find a convenient way to get a proper "car humidifier," then I suspect you could fashion one in the following way:

1) Buy a small humidifier--like one for travel--that works in your local voltage with your local plug configuration. Example:

http://toys.kids.net.au/products/B0000UTURY.html OR

http://toys.kids.net.au/products/B000AF78KU.html

These are from Oz. You NEED TO find out how many watts it requires to power it.

2) Buy a "Automotive 12V power inverter." Example:

http://www.dcacpowerinverters.com/12...inverters.html

This is an American site, but should give you an idea of what I mean. Local auto parts stores should sell them near you.

It needs to have the proper volatae, adequate capacity to to power the humidifier, and the same plug configuration.

I would look for an inverter that has about 25% more capacity than the humidifier draws. [The retailer could tell you how much power the humidifier draws.]

In other words: if the humidifier draws 125 watts, I might look for a 150 watt, or higher ("continuous power"), inverter. The Medisana humidifier only draws 33W. That's nothing. You could use a very inexpensive inverter with a humidifier like that.

You simply plug the humidifier into the inverter, then plug the inverter into either the cigarette lighter (if it draws, probably, 150 watts or less), or have a mechanic wire it into your car's electrical system (fuse panel) for you. [This would be cheap, easy, and safe ... but probably not necessary.]

Of course, you'd still have to find a safe, stable, secure place for the humidifier to sit, but ... I don't think that would be so difficult.

I hope this makes sense. Good luck!

Neil

Comment

Thanks Rebecca. Will keep your offer in mind but I will try Neil's suggestion first.
        Neil - you are a gem. Thanks for your awesome research and helpful advice. I will try Sunbeam here in NZ as surely now that I know the name of the product they might be able to come up with one here. If not I will try the toys kids site. I had no trouble getting Genteal Gel from an Aussie pharmacy site. Their power is the same as ours so that makes it a lot easier. Between husband and two electrically minded sons we should get something sorted out.
        This web site is so helpful and supportive -
        Cheers from down under where it is still warm and summery and dry
        Dotanne
        When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Comment

Working...
        X