This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top 100 Dry eye cities

This may have been posted before...not sure how old it is, but I thought I'd throw it out there if anyone hasn't seen it.

dry eye cities

Its an article and listing of the top 100 cities that have the conditions for the worst dry eyes. After looking at the list though, it seems like every big city in the country is on it. It almost seems like they took just the largest cities and ranked them. Cities like Dallas, Miami, and Honolulu are very high on the list. I would think they would be better due to high humidity. Im looking to transfer away from my current Syracuse NY location soon, and of course every city I have been looking into is on the list.

I wish there was a similar list showing the "best" cities for eyes...unless Im just supposed to start at 100 and look there.

so....

what are others comments on this list? Is Miami really a terrible city for dry eyes?...

Comment

Bass, this subject was on the board a couple of months ago. I tried to find the thread, but couldn't. You may want to search for it. This is the second time around for this info and apparently no one wants to bother again.
      Lucy
      Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

The study dates back to last summer actually. I wrote some comments about it in the newsletter (scroll down that page or search on "100") at the time. I tried to find some discussion about it on the BB but couldn't find it. I did however run across another old discussion about climate and dry eye at this "Location, location, location" thread and also at this thread .
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

good reading...thanks

Comment

phoenix & vegas

Apologies for extending a dead thread. This exact issue is very much on my mind.

I travel a lot for my work and find Phoenix #8 (just there last week) and Vegas #1 (there now) are very good for my eyes compared to home in the upper midwest. Of course, there are different factors. Am trying to figure out which of (or which mix of) factors they use in the study might make a difference for me:

- Altitude - don't know

- Temperature - have never found temp to matter related to eye condition

- Humidity levels - The humidity levels in both cities was/is low; altho I tend to think I do better with more moisture in the air, low humidity has not produced bad eyes but just the opposite

- Wind - am used to wind really bothering my eyes, but even with very high winds in Phoenix last week (gusts up to 50mph) my eyes were great

- Pollution - am not sure what is on their pollutant list, but my experience generally is that I'm very sensitive to smoke, dust, really any air-borne irritant; and anecdotally can say that there is more dust in the air than I'm used to in both cities - so much so that I clear my throat a lot and can (especially in Phoenix) actually taste the dust; but my eyes are great

- Ocular allergy irritants - this is certainly a factor at home; I live an old farm house in an area with really high allergen content; maybe this is the big contrast with Phoenix and Vegas

My own ongoing meds and other factors may be playing a role here as well. Can't really hold everything else constant. But this experience intrigues.

I'll read whatever's available on links posted. Think I need more detail about how study looked at/scored different factors, altho am betting it'll go right over my head.

Best,

Comment

vegas

Interesting to hear that about those cities William...I wish there was somewhere I could find more about the cities high on the list. I don't know if I trust it much anymore anyways.

I was planning on moving to Fort Worth Texas this coming fall but after seeing the list with four texas cities way up there, Im not so sure anymore. I figured the heat/humidity would be great for the eyes. I still do though, as anytime Im outside, its much better than indoors...and the summer outside my eyes don't bother me at all unless its really windy.

It sure sounds to me like you are more affected by the ocular allergen side of the equation, whereas I think I am by the moving air/humidity/temp.

Comment

other phoenix phactors

bassfan, you may be right that we've got different drivers for our conditions going on. My best dry eye city so far, Phoenix, wouldn't likely work for you or perhaps others. Apparently (re list of top 100) doesn't work for a lot of people. And it does look, altho I need to do more reading & talking with my opthamologist, that for me the allergen tail may swing the dry eye dog.

Other factors in Phoenix included working and using my eyes 12-15 hours per day while there - I was not on vacation, having lots of meetings in rooms with the A/C cranked, only on my last day there figuring out how to turn off the A/C in my hotel room, and eating mostly bad, greasy, drive-thru type food because someone (was it me?) set up a tight schedule. So add in the low humidity, high winds and dust and my eyes are just fine, thank you. Beats me.

I visit with my opthamologist this Weds and will definitely talk about this.
                Last edited by William53; 04-Apr-2007, 08:33. Reason: forgot something

Comment

This is a VERY interesting discussion. In unravelling the mysteries of what's behind our dry eyes (or ocular surface disease as I prefer to call it since for so many of us there is far more to it than "dry" eye) I think probably a lot of us could benefit from close observation to how our eyes perform in different environments.
                  Rebecca Petris
                  The Dry Eye Foundation
                  dryeyefoundation.org
                  800-484-0244

Comment

For me, the dry heat is MUCH worse than the more moist A/C - so I'm glad to be in the South.

However, as we keep growing in Atlanta, the pollen just gets worse and worse, to the point where it difficult to be outside at all.

Elegiamore

Comment

Bassfan->The worst and best U.S cities for Dry Eyes patients

use this link for more info about the subject
                      http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?t=4998

Originally posted by bassfan View Post
                      This may have been posted before...not sure how old it is, but I thought I'd throw it out there if anyone hasn't seen it.

dry eye cities

Its an article and listing of the top 100 cities that have the conditions for the worst dry eyes. After looking at the list though, it seems like every big city in the country is on it. It almost seems like they took just the largest cities and ranked them. Cities like Dallas, Miami, and Honolulu are very high on the list. I would think they would be better due to high humidity. Im looking to transfer away from my current Syracuse NY location soon, and of course every city I have been looking into is on the list.

I wish there was a similar list showing the "best" cities for eyes...unless Im just supposed to start at 100 and look there.

Comment

Working...
                      X