This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Overhead Fan Issue

Help! My husband is insisting on using the overhead ceiling fan at night in the summer. I have one moderately dry eye that was once a cornea erosion.

I use Dwelle and GenTeal Gel each day, several times.

Unfortunately, I have severe insomnia and am concerned that I could not get to sleep with the goggles on.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks
    Elegiamore

Do you have a cool mist humidifier?

Comment

and something else

Elegiamore,
      Do you think you could sleep in one of the soft sleep masks? They would shield your eyes from the fan.

Billye

Comment

You mentioned that you didn't want to wear goggles, but the Tranquil eyes are great.

I don't bother with the internal pads so find that with them on I can still open my eyes and I find they are very comfortable, this is great when I can't sleep I feel my eyes are still moist (and protected) from the circulating air.

Just a thought.

Ian

Comment

I don't bother with the internal pads so find that with them on I can still open my eyes and I find they are very comfortable, this is great when I can't sleep I feel my eyes are still moist (and protected) from the circulating air
          Ian, I too, often use Tranquileyes WITHOUT the foam pads and find it completely comfortable. Without the foam pads, it doesn't feel like the mask is "pressing down" on my eyes.

I think maybe a cloth mask would help Eligiamore, and it's very inexpensive to find out.
          Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by Elegiamore
            Help! My husband is insisting on using the overhead ceiling fan at night in the summer.
            For me, the overhead fans are the worst. I have 2 in my house, and I never use them.

Can you come to a compromise with your husband about running the fan? Maybe every other night, not every night---at least until you find an eye mask that you can sleep in? Does he understand how serious a corneal erosion can be?

C66

Comment

Eleglamore

You could try an airline mask if you have one, put some "goop" in your eyes then put a mask on.

I used this in the early stage before I discovered Tranquil Eyes.

Lucy, that was the one thing I never liked about the tranquil eyes the fact that the inner pad put pressure on my eyes. I have ditched the inner pad pretty much from day one. I think Rebecca mentioned somewhere about using the thinner pads from Thermo Eyes instead of the standard Tranquil Eyes pads for those that need them.

I wear Tranquil eyes every night over my eyes filled with Genteal Gel. I am now sleeping right throught the night again (has only taken 18 months) - this must be what they call progress - bring it on!!!!

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Overhead fans are HORRIBLE for me. Kick your husband out of bed or make some kind of deal with him. He needs to be supportive.
                Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

fan

Im with Diana on this one. Is he seriously going to insist on using the fan when he knows what it does to you? Fans destroy my eyes as well, sitting here at work in the moving air is terrible too.

Comment

well, before you kick the bum out...

...get creative. Try a small floor fan on his side of the bed directed away from the head of the bed. Or try one of those small fans that has a clip and clip it to his side of the headboard.

Cruise around a 'fan' aisle at a home furnishing store and see what they have that can accomodate you both. There are lots of fan styles out there...think outside the ceiling .
                    Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

Thank you so much for the suggestions. Lucy, as you stated, the Tranquil Eyes are expensive for me, particularly when I’m not sure if they will work with my insomnia.

Gang, where do you find one of those cloth or airline masks cheap? Any suggestions? I would like to try my Genteal Gel with a cloth mask first, unless there is a way to get a discount or something on the Tranquil Eyes….

As for my hubbie and his lack of compassion for my situation, please understand that I am a handicapped person, suffering from multiple ailments due to autonomic nervous system damage. Presently I don’t work and we are just barely able to put food on the table, so he is making incredible sacrifices already for me each day. And the fan allows us to save on A/C bills.

So far this year he has done without the fan, Calli66. Compromise is a good idea. Yes, he has had to take me to the ER in unbearable pain with my past erosion, so he knows it would be a great expense in itself.

Bassfan and Dianat, he has discussed buying a second bed to put in his office space, but again, we just really can’t afford it. I’m doing good to just buy drops right now (which I try to get on discount).

He is a diabetic and doesn’t sweat properly, so it’s a medical issue for him also. I dread this time of year, because he already has the small fan out in front of him just during the evenings – it’s the battle of the ailments!

Cindy, good idea for a localized fan, but I doubt that will cut it over his 6’4” frame.

GREATLY APPRECIATE the comments from everybody.

Best wishes,
                      Elegiamore

Comment

Elegiamore

I suggested the airline mask that they give you on long haul flights I am not sure if they are for sale but I am sure that i have a stash of them somewhere (as I fly regularly between Australia and the UK).

Lucy suggested that you try a cloth mask (I am guessing a scarf or something of the like would work as an interim measure).

A cheap alternative is some cling film or some medical tape to keep your eyes closed during the night, just something that helps retain the moisture is what we have in mind.

If you want me to pop an airline mask in the post I am more than happy to do so. Private Message me your address if you think it will help.

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Elegiamore
                          the Tranquil Eyes are expensive for me, particularly when I’m not sure if they will work with my insomnia.
                          I have insomnia also, and it sort of works for my eyes' benefit. I wake up often, and put in more gel and drops, so my eyes never get too dry.

Also---I just sent you a Private Message.

C66

Comment

Elegiamore,

Have you tried pulling the sheet over your eyes? I do this at times as my hubby insists on using the fan most nights in the summer. Just an idea. It works for me. I also wait until he is in the bathroom if we are in the family room and tiptoe over and turn the fan off. He usually notices pretty quickly, but doesn't complain... I'm not handicapped at this time, but hate complaining and pointing out my weaknesses constantly so I do these little tricks at times...

Comment

Lucy suggested that you try a cloth mask (I am guessing a scarf or something of the like would work as an interim measure).
                              This is a "sleep mask" you can buy in many drug stores, grocery stores, Kmart or Walmart type stores. Usually made in a satiny material with an elastic band around the back to hold snug to your head. Usually cheap, around $3 or $4. If you find one, you might get an extra so you can wash one.

These masks are all over in stores and you usually find them when you don't need one. I don't know if an airline mask is like the sleep mask or not. (I sleep much more than I fly.)
                              Lucy
                              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                              X